Sponsored

Wiring Halo DRL / Amber Turn Switchbacks, Fender LED DRL / Switchbacks on JL Sport

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
One issue, I added the settings to Uconnect4 to turn off DRLs. The settings check box is now there in the "lights" section (like your image) however it seems to not have an affect. The DRLs are always functional.
Let me answer my own question. Did some more playing around with DRL settings in JSCAN. Found out that changing the DRL region from Canada to "Optional" resolved the issue. The Uconnect menu now controls the DRLs on/off perfectly!
Sponsored

The learner

First Name
Jibin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Let me answer my own question. Did some more playing around with DRL settings in JSCAN. Found out that changing the DRL region from Canada to "Optional" resolved the issue. The Uconnect menu now controls the DRLs on/off perfectly!
Glad you got it done !

a23persaud

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys (JLU)
Did you need any special equipment to run the JSCAN app with the Jeep?

I’m trying to determine the easiest way to make my Oracle switchback LEDs in my 2021 Willy fenders (single bulb, sport style) stay on as DRLs with the lights in Auto. I have the OEM LED headlights, with sport style halogen fender lights...

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Did you need any special equipment to run the JSCAN app with the Jeep?

I’m trying to determine the easiest way to make my Oracle switchback LEDs in my 2021 Willy fenders (single bulb, sport style) stay on as DRLs with the lights in Auto. I have the OEM LED headlights, with sport style halogen fender lights...
Here's a link with good JScan info. https://jscan-docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html

In summary, you need a OBD2 Bluetooth module and a security bypass cable to use the app for programming.

There are other non-programming options described in this thread using fuse/wire taps to achieve similar results.

Last edited:

TheArlenG

First Name
Arlen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys Sting Gray
Hi All... I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Not able to get the white turn signal DRLs. Not able to enable the DRL setting to show on the display. I can get the yellow turns to stay on as DRL if I set to turn signal location, but not the white ones. White does display when I have headlights on.

Pls help thank you!

2020 Willys JLU (w/LED headlights, tailights)
Added the Oracle Switchbacks

Tazer Settings
- DRL set to Dedicated
- LED Turn Signals Present (not sure if correct for Oracle lights)
- DRL Canada
- Dropout enabled

JScan Settings
- LED front turn lamps enabled
- DRL enabled
- DRL Config Optional
- DRL Customer setting ON
- DRL Dropout enabled
- DRL Lamp location dedicated
- R/L DRL Lamps Output Power enabled

Sponsored

NickOlu03

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
Hey everyone, this is probably a stupid question but will you need any additional wires since you’re going all the way to the fuse box? isn’t the fuse tap wire short?

Eldude

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara unlimited
You must source a 12v fuse that's not being used, fuse #57 is a common choice, this is for heated seats, so if you do have heated seats you'll have to find another place to tap or be sure that both fuses are in the tap socket.
So this shows a 20amp fuse the fuse piggy back is 10amp assume you cannot put a 20 amp and 10 amp in that right ?

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
So this shows a 20amp fuse the fuse piggy back is 10amp assume you cannot put a 20 amp and 10 amp in that right ?
You can put a 20 & a 10, the tap is just a 12v source and you can select the downstream fuses.

NickOlu03

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
First off, big shout-out to Rhinebeck01 & American Jeeper for their help & tips!

This DIY setup will allow you to run full time DRLs w/ active turn signal switchbacks on your headlights/fenders on a JL Sport. This will allow you to use your auto-headlight function full time, so no need to switch your parking light on & off to activate DRLs.

I used (and HIGHLY recommend) Oracle Led Fender Switchbacks (thanks American Jeeper!), these can be found at Oracles site or a bit cheaper from Vividracing.com or horsepowerfreaks.com These switchbacks have CANBUS circuitry built in and WILL NOT hyperflash or show a bulb-out display. They are plenty bright in the white and even brighter for the amber turn light. https://www.oraclelights.com/produc...switchback-high-output-can-bus-led-bulbs-pair

If you want to gamble on cheaper ebay bulbs be sure they are 7443 CK bulbs, they must have the CK socket, regular 7443 bulbs are the wrong polarity. And all that I've seen will require an extra resistor wired in so you won't hyperflash. By the time you add that cost into it you're spending as much as the Oracles for an inferior product, so just a heads-up on that!

NO FENDER REMOVAL NEEDED, just remove the one plug clip on the front inner fender and the 10mm bolt further back in the fender liner. A counter clockwise turn to remove bulb socket and PRESTO!

I have the Sii Turbo split-halo LED headlights w/ SUP-light adapter mounts. The mounts come w/ the JL to JK wiring harness adapter and the lights come w/ the 3 pin adapter and the CANBUS anti-flicker adapter. Luckily there's plenty of room behind the lights because you MUST use all three adapter harnesses.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0781MXXXD
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KS7769Q

You must source a 12v fuse that's not being used, fuse #57 is a common choice, this is for heated seats, so if you do have heated seats you'll have to find another place to tap or be sure that both fuses are in the tap socket.

Micro Fuse tap, comes with two taps and 4 fuses, nice set.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LFXA5YQ

You will use this 12v source to run into your DRL wire on your headlights (you will run wire down passenger side, tap to passenger DRL, run behind grill in front upper radiator area over to drivers side DRL) and splice off that wire to the white/brown wire on each fender bulb. You will cut the white/brown wire about 2" from the fender bulb socket (put a dead splice on the end going back to the fuse box) and butt splice into that wire.

For your turn signal you will use a T-Tap (best to keep it easy & waterproof) into the White/Green wire, again, about 2" up from bulb socket, you WILL NOT cut this wire, just tap into it. This will go to your Amber halo wire for turn signal switchback function on your headlight halo, mine was a yellow wire from headlight harness (if equipped)

You can run both wires from the fender into the engine bay through that hole in the fender liner, just shine a flashlight through that hole and you'll see how it can thread through. I taped the wires to the end of a long screwdriver and pushed it through that hole to route them through. You then push the wires through the fender liner so you can reach up behind the liner and get them back down to where the socket is. Hope that makes sense :)

100_4077.JPG

100_4076.JPG

I didn't do it since the DRLs are dominated by the headlights, so leaving them on all the time is no biggie, but if you want to be able to switch your DRLs off you can add one of these switches between the fuse tap & your DRLs and mount it in an area below your steering wheel in that extra room on one of the plastic panels.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007B86Z94

And the final video, going from Ignition ON w/ auto-light function (Engine running OR not running), then turn signals, then flashers, then auto-light off but headlights on, then wipers just because I was grasping for anything at that point, lol. Any questions just post up here.

Great write up, but i just don’t understand one part. Did you use any extra wire to do this task? On my headlights the white wire isn’t long enough to reach the fuse box let alone do the other connections. If you did use extra wire, what kind was it?

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Great write up, but i just don’t understand one part. Did you use any extra wire to do this task? On my headlights the white wire isn’t long enough to reach the fuse box let alone do the other connections. If you did use extra wire, what kind was it?
Yes, additional wire was req'd, used 14 gauge, IIRC got a nice deal on a spool of it from Autozone.

Sponsored

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Looking for any help here. I just installed these headlights https://www.extremeterrain.com/raxi...ctor-headlights-j133627.html#customer_reviews in my 18 Sport S. They came with a fuse adapter and the fuses and suggested fuse 52. I wired it all up and it works except when I turn my headlight on the halos flicker. They do not flicker when on by themselves. Has anyone had a similar experience? I really don't want to have to return them but they may be defective.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Looking for any help here. I just installed these headlights https://www.extremeterrain.com/raxi...ctor-headlights-j133627.html#customer_reviews in my 18 Sport S. They came with a fuse adapter and the fuses and suggested fuse 52. I wired it all up and it works except when I turn my headlight on the halos flicker. They do not flicker when on by themselves. Has anyone had a similar experience? I really don't want to have to return them but they may be defective.
Looking at the reviews for those lights on that link you posted seem to have a couple that have had the same problem, one mentioned pushing in the fuses on the adapter. Another mentioned an upgraded anti-flicker adapter.

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Looking at the reviews for those lights on that link you posted seem to have a couple that have had the same problem, one mentioned pushing in the fuses on the adapter. Another mentioned an upgraded anti-flicker adapter.
I did see that and all my fuses are pushed in tightly, I even tried fuse 57 as mentioned here. I'm having trouble finding an anti-flicker adapter. Most I've seen are for the JK.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I did see that and all my fuses are pushed in tightly, I even tried fuse 57 as mentioned here. I'm having trouble finding an anti-flicker adapter. Most I've seen are for the JK.
I have some 7 to 9" headlight adapter rings that came w/ an anti-flicker harness, might contact this seller and see if you can get just the anti-flicker harness (the seller I got them from no longer has the listing up on Amazon) Not sure what socket your current lights use though so YMMV, mine are 7" lights w/ what I assume are JK based headlights.
https://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Omni-directional-Adjustment-Replacement-Headlights/dp/B07V7T1Q9T

Greyhound

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Did you change the light setting in the PCM to LED? You can do that with JScan or Tazer. Wondering if that might help. What about the lights themselves....do they flicker?
Sponsored