Sponsored

Wiring Halo DRL / Amber Turn Switchbacks, Fender LED DRL / Switchbacks on JL Sport

Milk Money

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S (previously 2008 JKU Sahara, 1998 TJ Sport)
Occupation
Engineer at GM
Vehicle Showcase
You can still use fuse 57, you will have the original fuse for your heated seats in the "primary" slot in the fuse tap and the new DRL fuse in the extra slot on the tap. The tap comes w/ instructions (and 4 fuses) on which slot is which.
Sounds like I have a project coming up... thanks for your help!
Sponsored

David F.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I have a sport with no auto light function. Very basic model. My question is do I need to change the physical turn signal housing to have a DRL or just plug this bulb in and follow the fuse 57 instructions? A bit new to lighting upgrades. Thanks.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
You'd still follow the fuse 57 wire setup to power the DRL.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Just one question. Why would someone want DRL's?? In the past, we bitched about them, and looked for a way to bypass them on our vehicles.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I like 'em, especially w/ the LEDs in the fenders. Wasn't here for the past (only for my CJs before DRLs were a thing :) )
Just one question. Why would someone want DRL's?? In the past, we bitched about them, and looked for a way to bypass them on our vehicles.

Sponsored

UCnight

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
anybody have pictures of how to get to the fender bulb to replace it? Not sure what all I need to remove? some places say I have to take out that front rivet that is one time use. Other videos seem to say I only need to remove the two bolts behind the fender light, and the single push pin. After that, can I just hook the DRL wire for the oracle fender switchback into my existing halo DRL that I ran from fuse 57?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
anybody have pictures of how to get to the fender bulb to replace it? Not sure what all I need to remove? some places say I have to take out that front rivet that is one time use. Other videos seem to say I only need to remove the two bolts behind the fender light, and the single push pin. After that, can I just hook the DRL wire for the oracle fender switchback into my existing halo DRL that I ran from fuse 57?
Just get under there, pop 1 rivet and 1 screw out, and pull on the fender liner. It's real simple. You can remove more for ease of access, but it's not really necessary.

UCnight

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
went out and tried it. Got the bulb out. My last question hopefully is for the white brown wire that the post says to cut and then connect to the DRL line coming from 57 (I already have this done line ran from a previous headlight swap out so i just need to tap it. If I cut that, I assume I can't later switch to the old bulb should I ever have a need or desire? Could I not tap the DRL line into the white brown wire?

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
went out and tried it. Got the bulb out. My last question hopefully is for the white brown wire that the post says to cut and then connect to the DRL line coming from 57 (I already have this done line ran from a previous headlight swap out so i just need to tap it. If I cut that, I assume I can't later switch to the old bulb should I ever have a need or desire? Could I not tap the DRL line into the white brown wire?
If you can hang on I'll get back to you tonight, no time right now.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Hmm can you clear that up a bit? What exactly is your current setup and what are you trying to get to?

Sponsored

UCnight

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm can you clear that up a bit? What exactly is your current setup and what are you trying to get to?
Currently, I have aftermarket headlights with a DRL wire coming from Fuse 57. I will likely put a T-Tap on that and pull a wire from the T-tap to the fender switchback. In the instructions on the OP, it is stated that I am to cut the white brown wire and attach my DRL wire to that cut point. I would like to avoid cutting a factory harness, so I was wondering if I could just put a T-Tap on the factory white brown wire that it says i should be cutting.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Currently, I have aftermarket headlights with a DRL wire coming from Fuse 57. I will likely put a T-Tap on that and pull a wire from the T-tap to the fender switchback. In the instructions on the OP, it is stated that I am to cut the white brown wire and attach my DRL wire to that cut point. I would like to avoid cutting a factory harness, so I was wondering if I could just put a T-Tap on the factory white brown wire that it says i should be cutting.
Ah I see, so you have the stock sport fenders with switchback bulbs installed. You want to provide constant power to the parking lamp, which is white/brown on the left and white/orange on the right? You really shouldn't just tap into those, who knows what canbus issues it would cause.

Edit: would you mind taking a picture of the wiring harness on your sport that goes to the fender lights? I've been trying for a while to see what the difference in sport and rubicon wiring is. Should be a 6 pin with 2 grounds.

4061FDD0-B5EF-4B73-9AB6-53197CF321E6.jpeg

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The white/brown wire needs to be cut so you have power to the Fender DRL when you turn on the ignition, you could try to tap your DRL into that white/brown wire but I think there would be issues (and I can only recommend doing what I did). If your worried about returning to the original bulb wiring orientation at the socket, you can always go back and reconnect that wire w/ a new short soldered wire or a butt splice.

UCnight

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so my sport s has three wires pictured below. A white/green, a white/brown, and a black(ground?). If I'm not connecting turn signals to my headlights, I only need to cut the white/brown and connect it to the drl wire I have made?
20190501_090205.jpg

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes sir! Cut it 2-3" back from the socket base so you have enough wire to work with and can re-splice it easier if you ever need to return it to stock form.
Sponsored