Wiring CB and GMRS together on Aux 3?

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Trying to clear out the beginings of a rat's nest:
Jeep Wrangler JL Wiring CB and GMRS together on Aux 3? 20210504_171942

Is there any reason why I couldn't put a T-tap from the GMRS into the CB wiring?

I've switched to a stock President McKinley, it is wired to Aux3 and grounded to the chassis in the passenger-side footwell. It has a 6 amp fuse, but is dual-use for 120-240v

The GMRS is the now popular Midland MXT275 15-watt. It is also fused, but has a 12v plug. I think it is 3.5 amps on high-power transmit.

Is it safe to put a T-tap from the GMRS to anywhere on the CB lines between the CB fuse and Aux3, and on the CB ground to chassis?

Ive run it through my head a dozen times, and it seems to make sense, but this kind of wiring isn't exactly my forte. The CB and GMRS only pull full power on transmit, and Aux3 is 15 amps. But I never can remember exactly how it is that electric currents flow.

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I think the only potential problem is distortion while one radio is transmitting. It is unlikely though, especially if you tap in as close to the aux line as possible a 3 way connection of some sort would be best.I don’t think you’ll have ground loop issues.
Its been over 10 years since I was an Electrical Engineer, so I might be wrong.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Until it gets to the radio, its just power. That being said, I have both a CB and GMRS connected to the "Always on" extra wire, both are on the same line, but I kept each fuse for each location. The connections are all before the fuses. I think the always on line is 5 or 10 amp fused too.

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I think the only potential problem is distortion while one radio is transmitting. It is unlikely though, especially if you tap in as close to the aux line as possible a 3 way connection of some sort would be best.I don’t think you’ll have ground loop issues.
Its been over 10 years since I was an Electrical Engineer, so I might be wrong.

Thanks for the quick reply and advice, random person.

I already get a wee bit of static from the CB external speaker when transmiting on the GMRS, but just a gentle hiss.

Reception on both are pretty good otherwise, I hope grounding them together doesn't change that. One unexpected benefit of E-torque, no alternator means no alternator whine!

My good buddy was an EE also, but he moved 3,500 miles away many years ago. I think he's beginning to suspect that I only times I talk to him nowadays are when I've accidentally released too much magic smoke.

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Until it gets to the radio, its just power. That being said, I have both a CB and GMRS connected to the "Always on" extra wire, both are on the same line, but I kept each fuse for each location. The connections are all before the fuses. I think the always on line is 5 or 10 amp fused too.
I had it on the Always-On line by accident at first. Whoever made those two wires pink/orange-striped and orange/pink-striped needs to have all their shoes switched to left sides only.

Sometimes I need to put the jeep in Accessory or Run multiple times, and the tiny *pop* from the CB speaker would drive me nuts, so I put it on the switched Aux.

I'm planning on keeping both fuses as well. But you have them both directly to the power and ground, not daisy chained, is that right? I don't think I have enough length on the GMRS and am trying to avoid the extra splice.

Good to know that they will both work on one switch though, thank you.

Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Thanks for the quick reply and advice, random person.

I already get a wee bit of static from the CB external speaker when transmiting on the GMRS, but just a gentle hiss.

Reception on both are pretty good otherwise, I hope grounding them together doesn't change that. One unexpected benefit of E-torque, no alternator means no alternator whine!

My good buddy was an EE also, but he moved 3,500 miles away many years ago. I think he's beginning to suspect that I only times I talk to him nowadays are when I've accidentally released too much magic smoke.
Been a bit since I heard magic smoke mentioned.
Make sure the fuses are in parallel, so connect “upstream” of the existing fuse in the cab.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
I had it on the Always-On line by accident at first. Whoever made those two wires pink/orange-striped and orange/pink-striped needs to have all their shoes switched to left sides only.

Sometimes I need to put the jeep in Accessory or Run multiple times, and the tiny *pop* from the CB speaker would drive me nuts, so I put it on the switched Aux.

I'm planning on keeping both fuses as well. But you have them both directly to the power and ground, not daisy chained, is that right? I don't think I have enough length on the GMRS and am trying to avoid the extra splice.

Good to know that they will both work on one switch though, thank you.
yeah, not daisy chained. I get it now. Yeah both "brains" are mounted under passenger seat so I already had to run extension wire to reach for the CB. So adding the GMRS I just tapped that extension wire. But yeah both fuses are after the tap. Just as easy could just lower the fuse on the switch too... its all overkill in my book. :)

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Been a bit since I heard magic smoke mentioned.
Make sure the fuses are in parallel, so connect “upstream” of the existing fuse in the cab.

Ha, probably because you know what you're doing, and keep it inside your electronics where it belongs.

Thanks for the advice, I'll set it up when this rain stops, and get as close to the Aux wire as I have slack for.

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
yeah, not daisy chained. I get it now. Yeah both "brains" are mounted under passenger seat so I already had to run extension wire to reach for the CB. So adding the GMRS I just tapped that extension wire. But yeah both fuses are after the tap. Just as easy could just lower the fuse on the switch too... its all overkill in my book. :)
Oh? What do you mean by lowering the fuse on the switch? You mean actually switching it out to a lower amperage fuse? That's pretty smart. Something to remember if I wire other stuff and don't have an in-line fuse available, but with a giant warning label so I don't forget. But these two radios are fused, so no problem there.

I considered CBs like the Cobra with the separate brain-box too, and I was happy when that Midland came out. But I like fiddling with CB settings too much, and the McKinley is pretty good.

I wanted to remove the front of the CB to make it a remote faceplate, but it would be something like 30-40 wires, and I stink at splices. Maybe if a big box of Posi-taps falls off a truck one day.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Oh? What do you mean by lowering the fuse on the switch? You mean actually switching it out to a lower amperage fuse? That's pretty smart. Something to remember if I wire other stuff and don't have an in-line fuse available, but with a giant warning label so I don't forget. But these two radios are fused, so no problem there.

I considered CBs like the Cobra with the separate brain-box too, and I was happy when that Midland came out. But I like fiddling with CB settings too much, and the McKinley is pretty good.

I wanted to remove the front of the CB to make it a remote faceplate, but it would be something like 30-40 wires, and I stink at splices. Maybe if a big box of Posi-taps falls off a truck one day.
CB is barely used, and I have a handheld one in the Jeep too that has never been used.

GMRS is much more popular now, got the same one as you. And got a couple handhelds too for loaning out or spotting.

Got a BaoFeng too, programmed for a local Jeep group.

Hopefully I am covered for a while. :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
CB is barely used, and I have a handheld one in the Jeep too that has never been used.

GMRS is much more popular now, got the same one as you. And got a couple handhelds too for loaning out or spotting.

Got a BaoFeng too, programmed for a local Jeep group.

Hopefully I am covered for a while. :)

I agree that CBs are much less prevalent than they used to be, but I've never been warned about Smokey hiding at the bottom of a hill on GMRS. CB still has its uses, but we'll see for how much longer.

I have the Midland handheld CB as backup and loaner. It can run remotely on AA batteries or plug right into my mounted antenna and 12V plug. Used to carry a pair of FRS too, but guess I only need one now. Or more friends.

Is the BaoFeng a ham radio? I've always wanted to get into that, but testing all got cancelled due to Covid. Maybe just as well, as it's an additional money pit.

In the meantime CB offers some nice light entertainment on the road, except for the few idiots out here investing in amplifiers.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Is the BaoFeng a ham radio? I've always wanted to get into that, but testing all got cancelled due to Covid. Maybe just as well, as it's an additional money pit.

In the meantime CB offers some nice light entertainment on the road, except for the few idiots out here investing in amplifiers.
Yeah BaoFeng is a ham radio. a leader in Wicked Jeeps Southeast Michigan chapter has all his radio licenses. So when I got it, its programmed with the club frequencies and his id.. so its like all the radios are operating under his id. For the most part the channels overlap GMRS/FRS channels, but there are a couple other frequencies programmed too. This is the popular choice in the group: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0859362KH Wow about twice the price it was this past fall.

CB I used to listen all the time on road trips, I feel like its gone silent over the last few years as truckers live on cell phones with unlimited talk plans. Maybe in more open spaces they still get used. Crickets in Michigan. A radio check used to be easy to get.

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
Yeah BaoFeng is a ham radio. a leader in Wicked Jeeps Southeast Michigan chapter has all his radio licenses. So when I got it, its programmed with the club frequencies and his id.. so its like all the radios are operating under his id.
It's one thing to do that on GMRS frequencies but if you're doing that on amateur radio frequencies, that's most definitely against the law. If you don't think you can get caught by operating on amateur radio frequencies without an amateur radio license, you should probably think again. Believe me, the FCC has ways of triangulating radio/transmission signals and there are also what we call "official observers" out there to ensure radio etiquette, rules and regulations are adhered to. You should get on www.arrl.org and look at all of the enforcement actions taken against those who think they can operate on amateur frequencies without the appropriate license. Some people just receive a fine while others are not only issued a large monetary fine to the tune of thousands of dollars but their radio equipment is also confiscated and they end up doing some time in jail. There are procedures that *must be followed* according to FCC Part 95 Rules and Regulations when it comes to "3rd party traffic" and the FCC is absolutely serious about those things and they don't play games. So...operate on those amateur radio frequencies at your own risk there, Skippy. You'll never know that the FCC is listening or tracking you until they either knock on your front door or follow you to a parking lot. Good Luck & 73s... :bandit:

Last edited:

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
It's one thing to do that on GMRS frequencies but if you're doing that on amateur radio frequencies, that's most definitely against the law. If you don't think you can get caught by operating on amateur radio frequencies without an amateur radio license, you should probably think again. Believe me, the FCC has ways of triangulating radio/transmission signals and there are also what we call "official observers" out there to ensure radio etiquette, rules and regulations are adhered to. You should get on www.arrl.org and look at all of the enforcement actions taken against those who think they can operate on amateur frequencies without the appropriate license. Some people just receive a fine while others are not only issued a large monetary fine to the tune of thousands of dollars but their radio equipment is also confiscated and they end up doing some time in jail. There are procedures that *must be followed* according to FCC Part 95 Rules and Regulations when it comes to "3rd party traffic" and the FCC is absolutely serious about those things and they don't play games. So...operate on those amateur radio frequencies at your own risk there, Skippy. You'll never know that the FCC is listening or tracking you until they either knock on your front door or follow you to a parking lot. Good Luck & 73s... :bandit:
I know all this.. I am NOT A FAN of the Baofeng or HAM radio usage for off-roading. And technically its illegal to use the Baofeng on the GMRS frequencies too for anything beyond receiving. I push to use GMRS whenever possible as its a hard install in my Jeep, and I got hand-helds to lend out. But thanks for the disclaimer. :)

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Finally got the GMRS moved and set up. Thanks for the help. Ended up putting it under the glove box, so lots of excess wire; still Posi-tapped into the cb wiring, close to the Aux wire, but with its own fuse.

I understand the HAM and GMRS licensing and sharing bits.

Waiting for my GMRS license right now. Ham will have to wait until tests here start again, and for me to study up. Surprised that there's no more Morse though, but should be easier for it.

The fun bit will be to find space to mount yet another antenna. Thanks again guys.
Sponsored