Sponsored

Wiring Baja Designs LP6 lights to an on/off rocker switch?

813 Fabrication & Design

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator / 2022 JLUXR
Hello, I ordered two sets of LP6s, one for my JT and one for my Wife's JLU. I ordered the kit with the upfitter harness not realizing that this kit it for using the AUX switches. We do not have the AUX switches in the JLU. But, I was going to wire them to an on/off switch and not use the AUX switches on either Jeep. I don't plan to use the low beam so I only need to use a two-way switch. Has anyone wired them directly to a switch? Not an SPOD type setup, just a rocker switch. I wonder if I need to order a different harness in order to make this work? I don't see a way to run power to a switch with the current harness. Or, is there a way to open up the heat shrink and tap into a wire to use as the power lead to the switch?
Sponsored

lashlee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR 2.0 Turbo 4 (Wife's), Tesla M3P (mine)
If it were me, I would sell the upfitter harness and buy the proper harness. You can make the upfitter harness work with some additional parts (switch, relay, connectors and wiring) but it's way easier to buy the correct one.

OP
OP
813 Fabrication & Design

813 Fabrication & Design

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it were me, I would sell the upfitter harness and buy the proper harness. You can make the upfitter harness work with some additional parts (switch, relay, connectors and wiring) but it's way easier to buy the correct one.
Yea, I was thinking the same. But, this harness already has two relays also which really doesn't make sense. If it is meant to work with the AUX switches it would not need relays on the harness, correct?

lashlee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The upfitter allows you to have both the low beam and high beam circuit of the LP6/LP9 using two switches while protecting the light from having both on at the same time. The relays should be usable, you would be on the hook for the switch so it's up to you. Your version theoretically will only have either the low or the high beam functional.

OP
OP
813 Fabrication & Design

813 Fabrication & Design

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The upfitter allows you to have both the low beam and high beam circuit of the LP6/LP9 using two switches while protecting the light from having both on at the same time. The relays should be usable, you would be on the hook for the switch so it's up to you. Your version theoretically will only have either the low or the high beam functional.
Yes, I plan to only use the high beam on a custom switch. I'm not sure about the power for the switch without tearing into the harness.

Sponsored

lashlee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't looked at my upfitter harness, but I would assume you could wire the output of your switch to the upfitter like it's the OEM aux switch, and give the top side of your switch a fused power and you should be good to go.

OP
OP
813 Fabrication & Design

813 Fabrication & Design

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't looked at my upfitter harness, but I would assume you could wire the output of your switch to the upfitter like it's the OEM aux switch, and give the top side of your switch a fused power and you should be good to go.
Hmm, didn't think of that. So just run a hot to the switch from the fuse box or battery as a separate lead, correct? I can try that with the harness hooked to the battery before running everything correctly to test it.

lashlee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the wiring on the relay is correct, the switch just triggers the relay to toggle and the relay handles all of the big current.
Sponsored