Sponsored

Wiring an Inverter to AUX Switch

Brandonjjon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE (Granite)
Can anyone provide any info on wiring an inverter to the Aux switches? Is that even possible?

Theoretically the Aux wire would be wired to the positive terminal of the inverter, but not really sure about the negative.

Software engineer by day, but ignorant when it comes to electrical!

Any info you can provide would be helpful.

Example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/HAMMERDOWN-1500-Watt-12-Volt-Power-Inverter-HD1500/306133292

Thanks
Sponsored

JoeValkIS

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Can Am Spyder F3T
Vehicle Showcase
Easy enough to do. You connect the positive terminal of the inverter to the Aux Switch. The negative terminal is connected to any bolt or screw...or you can connect to ground wire near where you mount the inverter. If you use a bolt or screw, I usually use a spade or ring terminal on the end of the wire.

lagunajim

I would be very mindful of AMPERAGE in what you connect to the Aux switches. Most of the time it is critical to use a RELAY to switch high-power devices SUCH AS INVERTERS -- and also inverters want to be connected directly to the battery since they draw a lot of amps -- this is the same as how we usually connect car stereo amplifiers directly to the battery.

Of course always use a fuse between any device and the battery.

If you want to switch the inverter using an AUX switch, you will likely need to use a fat relay to switch the power. The relay would be controlled by the AUX switch (which in itself is a relay already..).

Many inverters have separate "trigger" and power connections -- the power would come directly from the battery (with a fuse in between), and the trigger would be connected to the Aux switch.

Just getting 300 watts out of an inverter requires a 30 amp 12 volt hookup. Think thick wires, fuses, and relays.

Tell me what inverter you're looking at, or what you intend to run off it.. I can probably help further. I lived in an a motorhome for four years so 12 volt and inverters are a big deal for an RV'er.

Last edited by a moderator:

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I would be very mindful of AMPERAGE in what you connect to the Aux switches. Most of the time it is critical to use a RELAY to switch high-power devices SUCH AS INVERTERS -- and also inverters want to be connected directly to the battery since they draw a lot of amps -- this is the same as how we usually connect car stereo amplifiers directly to the battery.

If you want to switch the inverter using an AUX switch, you will likely need to use a fat relay to switch the power. The relay would be controlled by the AUX switch (which in itself is a relay already..).

Many inverters have separate "trigger" and power connections -- the power would come directly from the battery (with a fuse in between), and the trigger would be connected to the Aux switch.

Just getting 300 watts out of an inverter requires a 30 amp 12 volt hookup. Think thick wires, fuses, and relays.

Tell me what inverter you're looking at, or what you intend to run off it.. I can probably help further. I lived in an a motorhome for four years so 12 volt and inverters are a big deal for an RV'er.
I am installing this inverter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019C7CBBC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To run this coffee maker and similar stuff:
https://oxx.com/wp-content/uploads/605_user_manual.pdf
  • 120V AC, 60Hz, 1450 Watts
Was planning on running to straight to battery but was thinking about running to Aux switch instead. What do you think?

lagunajim

Dude I'm sorry you need a generator to run that coffeemaker.

"The DC battery and alternator must supply the DC AMPS. The average size alternator used in a vehicles' DC charging system is about 100 AMPS DC. This can power an inverter that will deliver about 1,200 watts @ 120 VAC.

A 3000 watt inverter can only deliver 1,200 Watts @ 120 VAC using your vehicles existing DC charging system. (see formula above). Attempting to achieve 3,000 watts output from an inverter without the installing multiple batteries and a 250 AMP alternator will result in damage to your vehicles charging system.

It takes roughly 10 times the amps at 12 volts than at 110 volts. So your coffeemaker uses 13 amps@110 volts, which translates to 130 amps@12 volts.

And that's too much for a car's electrical system.

Also way too much for any switch you could have -- so you would need a relay. I relay capable of 130 amps. Like this https://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/v23132-a2001-a200.html

My 33 foot MOTORHOME had a 2800 watt inverter, THREE BATTERY BANKS, and a 160 amp alternator. And the cables that went from the batteries to the inverter were thicker than the ones that go from the battery to the starter in a car.

p.s. you can't run electronics off an inverter unless it's a "pure sine wave" type.. risks damage to the electronics. I'm not saying a coffeemaker is "electronic" - think TV, radio, laptop, etc.

p.p.s. it's recommended that you use "1/0 gauge" (pronounced 'one oh gauge') wire (this is one step thicker than "1 gauge", which is thicker than the cables that connect the battery to the starter.

I strongly recommend you go talk to a recreational vehicle service department about your plans. Every RV has an inverter and battery system. Some car stereo guys might know what they're talking about - but I'd go RV.

All of these factors of power and amperage, to not start a fire, must be rounded up to provide "wiggle room". Running any component at or near its rated capacity is nothing but trouble. So if you need 130 amps figure on 150.

https://www.fabcopower.com/inverters.html

read this: https://www.redarc.com.au/faq-tech-tips/inverter-current-draw

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

lagunajim

If you’re going to use that 3000 watt inverter you cannot power it’s main power from the six switch wire.

The inverter connects to the battery directly - it’s trigger wire, or a big fat relay, get controlled by the six switch.

Forgive me for saying, but without experience the stuff you’re messing with can cause significant damage if not done correctly.

Duffman1914

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport Altitude

@LagunaJim1

I am looking to install a 400W inverter just for charging a laptop, tablet, and phones. Do you see any issues with connecting this to the auxiliary switch? I was going to run the negative to the battery. I have this inverter:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-400W-Slim-Inverter/189309462
Sponsored