Sponsored

Wireless CarPlay and charging products?

Sm284

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk
Has anyone done anything what products did you use how did you integrate into the jeep
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
https://www.amazon.com/Carlinkit-Wi...ld=1&keywords=carlinkit&qid=1627047650&sr=8-3

https://cplay2air.com/

These 2 are popular on here. Do a search and you'll find several threads about them.
I have the Carlinkit @jludave posted in my Ram, and one waiting to go in the Jeep when it gets here.

Works great, only issue is Waze has a hard time reconnecting to the truck's GPS antenna if you don't close it out before reconnecting to Carplay. I think that happened wired anyways.

TimothyFS

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Reached my highes level of incompetence - Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone done anything what products did you use how did you integrate into the jeep
I've had my carlink 2.0 for a year and other than an occasional long connect time, and I mean rarely, It works flawlessly. Hidden in my center console I almost forget it's there.
I use to hate getting in the jeep for a short errand and have to pull my phone out and plug it in so I could listen to my Spotify or see my Waze maps.
Carplay2.0 has been a great upgrade to my jeep life.

Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I have the Carlinkit @jludave posted in my Ram, and one waiting to go in the Jeep when it gets here.

Works great, only issue is Waze has a hard time reconnecting to the truck's GPS antenna if you don't close it out before reconnecting to Carplay. I think that happened wired anyways.
Why would your phone connect to the GPS antenna in your car - don't think that's even possible from your phone.

Waze just sucks recently and I have to force close it almost every time I use it with CarPlay. Sometimes it'll go a few days without messing up, and when it is messed up I notice it says "Guest Wazer" on the iPhone app.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Why would your phone connect to the GPS antenna in your car - don't think that's even possible from your phone.

Waze just sucks recently and I have to force close it almost every time I use it with CarPlay. Sometimes it'll go a few days without messing up, and when it is messed up I notice it says "Guest Wazer" on the iPhone app.
Not sure why. The tell tale sign for me was when I swapped the 35s on and was trying to dial in the tire calibrator to match GPS. When my phone was on carplay, it automatically showed the exact same speed as the truck, instead of the 5%+ off it showed when it wasn't connected. Later I read somewhere that in addition to the speed info, the truck's antenna was used.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

It's actually how CarPlay and AndroidAuto work. If possible they will use the available GPS antenna from the vehicle. This is why aftermarket radios that don't have built in NAV, but support CarPlay and AndroidAuto, come with GPS antennas.

vicsvx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S, 2008 Subi STI, 1994 Subi S
Old thread but this is Not true. I have bought many aftermarket radios that support carplay and AA... But none come with GPS antennas UNLESS you buy aftermarket radio with NAV. Carplay and AA can be used only on your phone if you don't have a radio that supports carplay and AA. But if your radio does support carplay and AA, by plugging you phone into the appropriate USB outlet, the radio and phone communicate via a mirror function. When you use carplay or AA there are 3 wireless signals your phone is using: GPS, cell signal and Bluetooth. When you loose cell service, you Will not have data, call or text but you can still see your location because GPS signal is different than you cell signal, and you can Stream music Thats downloaded on your phone. The phone doesn't communicate with you vehicles GPS

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I have bought many aftermarket radios that support carplay and AA... But none come with GPS antennas UNLESS you buy aftermarket radio with NAV.
This is 100% not true. All of the following, as examples, come with GPS antennas and do not include NAV:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DDX9907/Kenwood-Excelon-DDX9907XR.html?tp=72357

• GPS antenna (attached 11.5' cable terminated by a proprietary connector)

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130DMC5700/Pioneer-DMH-WC5700NEX.html?tp=72357

• GPS antenna (attached 11.5' cable)

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XAV6000/Sony-XAV-AX6000.html?tp=72357

• GPS antenna (attached 10' cable terminated by a FAKRA connector)

The phone doesn't communicate with you vehicles GPS.
The phone doesn't communicate via GPS, but will use the GPS antenna for navigation if one is available within the vehicle.

vicsvx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S, 2008 Subi STI, 1994 Subi S
🤔 Guess we learn something new everyday. Interesting that literally none of the radios I bought in the last 4 years came with the said antenna. Perhaps I didn't spend enough? I was schooled Just now
Sponsored