2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
How are you making out?

I'm having troubles. It worked well at first....two phones paired in the JLUR '22.

Now it keeps dropping out.

Dongle is plugged into the outlet in the console.

Please let me know how you solved problems if you had any....

Thanks in advance

DaveL
Toronto
Sponsored

bradcrc

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
my carlinkit is going back cause it keeps rebooting, dont know if it's the USB power or the unit but doesn't really matter if it doesn't work.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I feel I wasted a $100 on the similar Ottocast wireless CarPlay adapter. Honestly though, I think the fault is the UConnect on the Jeep side. Sporadic connection on start up. Still found myself reaching for the USB cable when it wouldn't connect. The last couple weeks I can't get it to connect at all. Gone through a couple of unpairing/pairing to restore.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
We had a similar issue with our 2.0 Carlink. It turns out it was the USB hub that powers both the dash and console, not the Carlink unit

sassyinsd

First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR w/ Recon Package
We had a similar issue with our 2.0 Carlink. It turns out it was the USB hub that powers both the dash and console, not the Carlink unit
Hi! How did you find out it was the USB hub that was the issue? Did you find a solution? I have tried a few of these Wireless CarPlay adapters and they work great at first! And then they don’t. 🙄
I am even considering purchasing a new head unit to add wireless CarPlay but I want to keep the seamless factory look so it’s a dilemma to add WCP! Jeep should just add it as a standard.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Last edited:
OP
OP
2mnycars

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks everyone.

So I had 2 phones paired; mine and my wife's.

Installed the dongle; did about 3 or 4 upgrades. Have issues. It'll drop out several times in a 20 minute trip. Plugged in to the console USB

JLUR '22.

Dave

martoaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara 4XE
A lot of people (myself included) have had issues with the center console USB port cutting out, no matter whether you're using a phone directly or through a wireless adapter.

Try using your wireless adapter through the USB port in the dash, and that'll help you troubleshoot as to whether it's your adapter or not. If it works fine there, then it's likely your console USB port that's the problem. Folks have reported that switching to a different/new USB cable helped. For me, I found using a USB-A to USB-C adapter with a USB-C cable fixed it!

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
Hi! How did you find out it was the USB hub that was the issue? Did you find a solution? I have tried a few of these Wireless CarPlay adapters and they work great at first! And then they don’t. 🙄
I am even considering purchasing a new head unit to add wireless CarPlay but I want to keep the seamless factory look so it’s a dilemma to add WCP! Jeep should just add it as a standard.
The dealer figured it out. I'm not exactly sure what part it was, but I took it to be that they replaced the USB hub that extends from the head unit to the ports. It's been working great for the two years since!

uConnect is a really good system. Our other vehicle, a Nissan Armada, had such a terribly outdated infotainment that I replaced it with a 13.6" Android unit. While a big improvement over the Nissan headunit, it is a whole lot more finicky that the uConnect. Every time I get into the wife's Jeep I'm so impressed by how seamless it works. The Android unit needs a lot more maintenance, and of course, it has the periodic reboots and crashes that you would expect of an Android unit. Ironically, the best thing the Android unit does is play wireless CarPlay.

OP
OP
2mnycars

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
A lot of people (myself included) have had issues with the center console USB port cutting out, no matter whether you're using a phone directly or through a wireless adapter.

Try using your wireless adapter through the USB port in the dash, and that'll help you troubleshoot as to whether it's your adapter or not. If it works fine there, then it's likely your console USB port that's the problem. Folks have reported that switching to a different/new USB cable helped. For me, I found using a USB-A to USB-C adapter with a USB-C cable fixed it!
Thanks!

When you use the USB-A to USP-C adapter with a USB-C cable, where do you plug it in?

After I installed the dongle in the console, and updated the dongle, it seemed to work. Then things got worse.

Then I installed it in the USB-A connection in the dash; things got worse.

I have tried installing the USB-A to USB-C adapter in the console; still bad. Several drops out in a 20 minute drive. Other issues too....

How do I un-install the Dongle? I'd like to start over....

DaveL

Sponsored

martoaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara 4XE
When you use the USB-A to USP-C adapter with a USB-C cable, where do you plug it in?

After I installed the dongle in the console, and updated the dongle, it seemed to work. Then things got worse.

Then I installed it in the USB-A connection in the dash; things got worse.

I have tried installing the USB-A to USB-C adapter in the console; still bad. Several drops out in a 20 minute drive. Other issues too....

How do I un-install the Dongle? I'd like to start over....
Kinda sounds like your wireless adapter is just ... bad. If it's not working using a high-quality USB cable plugged into the dash, it isn't likely to work no matter what combination of adapters, cables, and ports you use.

I've seen a ton of complaints about the center console USB, but not the dash USB.

OP
OP
2mnycars

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Kinda sounds like your wireless adapter is just ... bad. If it's not working using a high-quality USB cable plugged into the dash, it isn't likely to work no matter what combination of adapters, cables, and ports you use.

I've seen a ton of complaints about the center console USB, but not the dash USB.

Thanks. I haven't given up yet....but need to work quickly.

I *think* that the installation was compromised and I would like to un-install and re-install it....to see if I'm right.

sassyinsd

First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR w/ Recon Package
I've had issues with both the console and the dash ports, but I am using a longer USB cable (USB-A on the dash port). There is a USB-C port in the dash, too, so maybe I will try a USB-C to USB-C cable on my WCP adapter. I recently purchased two other kinds (one is an Ottocast) but haven't tried them yet, now I'm wondering if it's the adapter or the Jeep. I will try some different things now that I know others have had success in fixing their bugs. :)

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I've had issues with both the console and the dash ports, but I am using a longer USB cable (USB-A on the dash port). There is a USB-C port in the dash, too, so maybe I will try a USB-C to USB-C cable on my WCP adapter. I recently purchased two other kinds (one is an Ottocast) but haven't tried them yet, now I'm wondering if it's the adapter or the Jeep. I will try some different things now that I know others have had success in fixing their bugs. :)
The USB-C that I linked in Post#6 works great and is a perfect length. Even the 90 degree angles work perfectly in the cubby hole space.

OP
OP
2mnycars

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Had a 10 minute drive.
Phone stayed in the pocket.
A.C.Play started before I left. Chose 'home' and left

Waze was working well. Screen *check*. Speakers *check*

Then all of a sudden the ACP word was coming out of my hearing aids; not the speakers. Checked the screen. Yup. It was rebooting or dancing or doing whatever it does. Then all of a sudden the dance was over, and screen had full display, and instructions were coming through the speakers again.

I think the dongle goes on strike. That's it. It's on strike.
Sponsored