Sponsored

wiper blades short life

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Like others, I swap mine out annually on my personal vehicles, even though they don’t accumulate many miles. Sun is harder on them than rain. Abrasives and other irregularities on the windshield also expedite wear, so I strip the glass on the windshield when I swap for new wiper blades.

The stripper products are different from “cleaners”. Most feel like a cross between toothpaste and a soap. You can feel the abrasive in it. They clean the glass in a way soap and glass cleaners do not. They will remove oils, tars, hard-water residue, and other contaminates that accumulate over time. After stripping the glass the water just falls off the windshield — because there is nothing for the water to adhere to. If you apply Aquapel after this (like RainX on steroids), the windshield will shed water for weeks.

I live in the northwest where it rains a lot. I do the windshield strip and Aquapel treatment on my work Charger two or three times per year. Its sharply sloped windshield sheds water so well after this treatment that I don’t need to turn on the wipers at highway speeds — because the wipers don’t really help. The process works almost as well on the Jeep, even with the vertical windshield, and it makes the glass surface less destructive to your wipers.
Sponsored

Last edited: