Katz

First Name
JOE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JEEP WRANGLER UNLIMITED
Hello from Newfoundland!

It’s time for me to install new rims with winter tires on my new 2020 Jeep Wrangler. Since it is equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system I am wondering if there is anything that needs to be done soI don’t get any error messages because of the change over. I may get a quote from the dealership and one from Canadian Tire.

Also, I think I will go with new alloy wheels instead of steel to avoid the rust issue. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Joe
Sponsored

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude
My high altitude painted aluminum wheels are gonna have a rough time this winter.

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude
I wonder if the rust warranty would apply to the wheels...hmm. I’ll have to do some reading.

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Hello from Newfoundland!

It’s time for me to install new rims with winter tires on my new 2020 Jeep Wrangler. Since it is equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system I am wondering if there is anything that needs to be done soI don’t get any error messages because of the change over. I may get a quote from the dealership and one from Canadian Tire.

Also, I think I will go with new alloy wheels instead of steel to avoid the rust issue. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Joe
As long as you have the same OEM wheel sensors in both sets of wheels, the tpms will have no problem reading the switch.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You can buy a set of used takeoff JL/JT wheels in great condition for about $100/wheel on eBay.

I’d go about that route, especially for a set I know is going to get damaged.

Good luck!

Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
It's a little bit more $$, but I'd get the TPMS sensors for your winter wheels unless you like to go around and check your tire pressure regularly. TPMS is one of the few nanny regulations that actually do make life a bit easier.. one less thing to remember to do. That behind said, you could also get a Tazer or the JScan app and disable TPMS.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Check out larger jeep dealerships that “customize” with wheels and lifts before the sale. They will have full sets of wheels, with tires and sensors cheap (i bought a complete set for $400. ). Stick on a set of Blizzak’s or similar winter tires and you ar good to go.

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler, 1964 Land Rover SIIA 88
I don't think that the winter damage to alloy wheels is quite so drastic. Certainly a set of alloys will last as long as the vehicle itself. I have used both alloy wheels and steel wheels on my winter sets for the last 30 years and the alloys stay nicer looking longer than the steelies. Non-issue, as far as I'm concerned.
Sponsored