Sponsored

Winter is coming, and so is salt. My jeeps owner is confused as to what to protect.

bicepsmctouchdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Wrangler Sport Alt (on order)
Chicagoland winter means liberal use of salt if for no other reason than to line the pockets of the salt companies that made campaign donations.

Based on what I have read here, I narrowed my choices down to DIY with fluid film or DIY with some sort of rust oleum spray paint product.

I will admit that I am not a car guy and therefore have no idea what components are OK to spray and which are not. Meaning that I cannot match the name to the part when visually looking at it.

With this lack of knowledge, would I be better off with fluid film rather than with spray paint? I am guessing fluid film because it will eventually degrade?

So that if I spray something that I should not, it won't be as f'ed up as it would with spray paint.

If anyone has a line on some sort of diagram of the underbelly and can mark it up with what I can spray and what I should not, that would be a godsend.
Sponsored

Coops4284

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB; 2019 Indian Scout Bobber
Occupation
IT Enterprise Architect
Vehicle Showcase
Big fan of Fluid Film here. Problem with painting stuff is it will trap dirt and moisture. Fluid Film does not do that, and protects everything. It also lubes control arm joints and other moving parts. Cant really harm anything either. I am in NW Ohio, so salt and brine water are the bane of my existence. Fluid Film has kept my frame and under carriage components rust free.

You can spray pretty much everything under there. I would avoid exhaust and belly of the engine/transmission, but everything else can get sprayed with it.

OP
OP
bicepsmctouchdown

bicepsmctouchdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big fan of Fluid Film here. Problem with painting stuff is it will trap dirt and moisture. Fluid Film does not do that, and protects everything. It also lubes control arm joints and other moving parts. Cant really harm anything either. I am in NW Ohio, so salt and brine water are the bane of my existence. Fluid Film has kept my frame and under carriage components rust free.

You can spray pretty much everything under there. I would avoid exhaust and belly of the engine/transmission, but everything else can get sprayed with it.
It sounds like you have the same conditions we have here.

Another stupid question:

If I go to a self car wash and wash the underbelly, then drive home on paved roads back to my house 3 mins away, do I have to give it another cleaning with an all purpose cleaner before applying the fluid film?

Or am I overthinking this?

Also how many cans does it usually take you?

Anonymous

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JLUR

Another stupid question:

If I go to a self car wash and wash the underbelly, then drive home on paved roads back to my house 3 mins away, do I have to give it another cleaning with an all purpose cleaner before applying the fluid film?

You are over thinking. The fluid film wears off over time so one good coating should last you the winter. Car wash and apply. You’ll be fine. I do not recall how many cans but I’ll update the thread soon, as this project is on my radar possibly as early as this weekend. Cheers!!

Coops4284

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB; 2019 Indian Scout Bobber
Occupation
IT Enterprise Architect
Vehicle Showcase

Another stupid question:

So I have the air compressor gun and then order it in 5 gallon buckets, so I am not sure how many aerosol cans it will take. I would order 6 to 8 of them, they dont go bad and you have to reapply every year. Also, I have been doing Fluid Film black lately, I like the look of it better.

It was cheaper for me to get the gun/wand kit ($120 I think) and then order it in 5 gallon buckets since I spray 20 to 30 jeeps a year. I am the "rust proofing" guy for a jeep club I belong to.

Wash the frame where ever you can, drive it home, and then spray it. It can be damp and the fluid film will force its way to the metal. It will always stay sticky, hence the name fluid film, so over time the outer layer will wash off. But it will still offer protection for up to a year since it does bond with the metal.

Sponsored

Sarge50

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR 2012 Ram 2500 Cummins 2008 Mazdaspeed3
Musti1 on YouTube has a very good video on rustproofing with Chain Saw Bar and Chain oil. Lots cheaper than Fluid film, lasts longer. Check out his Video. This guy is awesome. I live in Bama so no salt or rust problems. Grew up in the Chicago area, hated the rust and salt.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I've never coated the underbody, but I've always gotten an underbody carwash a day or two after salt has been used.

OP
OP
bicepsmctouchdown

bicepsmctouchdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Application done. Applied 3 cans to everything I could reach.

I wish I had a lift and a spray application like in that video. My hands and hair were greasy as hell when I was done from laying on my back on the ground.

My application did not look at all like what the videos. It was much more goopy in spots.

Am hoping that is not a huge deal.

Does it need cure time? If yes, how long?

OP
OP
bicepsmctouchdown

bicepsmctouchdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Application done. Applied 3 cans to everything I could reach.

I wish I had a lift and a spray application like in that video. My hands and hair were greasy as hell when I was done from laying on my back on the ground.

My application did not look at all like what the videos. It was much more goopy in spots.

Am hoping that is not a huge deal.

Does it need cure time? If yes, how long?
Never mind. Went to pick up a torta and it started smoking. Guess I sprayed it on something that shouldn’t have been sprayed.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Never mind. Went to pick up a torta and it started smoking. Guess I sprayed it on something that shouldn’t have been sprayed.
Don't worry about it...I do my undercarriage every year, yes the same here in New England (Salt )! I usually wipe down any really gunked up spots because it comes out like foam and forms bubble like globs so I just use a rag and smooth them out where I can reach. You did good and everything that coops4284 suggested was spot on! There are many videos of how to use and on what ...it's all good and your rig is protected!

Sponsored

OP
OP
bicepsmctouchdown

bicepsmctouchdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't worry about it...I do my undercarriage every year, yes the same here in New England (Salt )! I usually wipe down any really gunked up spots because it comes out like foam and forms bubble like globs so I just use a rag and smooth them out where I can reach. You did good and everything that coops4284 suggested was spot on! There are many videos of how to use and on what ...it's all good and your rig is protected!
It looks like the smoke is coming from the middle and front rather than the back.

Should I let it cool down and try to remove some of the glob with a rag or just take it for a cruise on the expressway to let it burn itself off?

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
So is the fluid film black just have a black color? Is that easier to see where you have sprayed? Is there a lower temperature point that you can or should not apply the fluid film?
Thanks

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
It looks like the smoke is coming from the middle and front rather than the back.

Should I let it cool down and try to remove some of the glob with a rag or just take it for a cruise on the expressway to let it burn itself off?
Nah let it burn off ...I know it stinks like something died but it won't last long!

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
So is the fluid film black just have a black color? Is that easier to see where you have sprayed? Is there a lower temperature point that you can or should not apply the fluid film?
Thanks
It is actually the color of elastic cement the stuff you use to use in school. It is clear but with a little yellowish color but mostly transparent.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Def easy to see wher you spray because it becomes bubbly and if you choose to like I do to wipe the excess it first leaves a shine that when dry becomes a little duller. I use it on my steel bumpers as a dressing ...water stays off them.
Sponsored