Winter gear for your Jeep

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
I purchased this snow shovel and traction mats on amazon awhile back. Both were advertised for Jeepers, due to their compact size.

Got stuck in the snow out in the middle of nowhere today and these items saved my butt!!! Took me about an hour to dig out.

I think I paid around $50.00 for both. Money well spent.

D034A8C5-D02C-4357-B902-CAA05A6A4F86.jpeg

E07BA32C-D061-4D38-B888-DDA765991E36.jpeg

FDC2DC84-1C29-49BE-96D1-161DE3C35E22.jpeg
Sponsored

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Interesting. Flat ground and 4 wheel low would not get you out?

thank goodness you did not have to get a tow. You would have never herd the end of it from you non-jeeper friends.

OP
OP
basinite

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
Interesting. Flat ground and 4 wheel low would not get you out?

thank goodness you did not have to get a tow. You would have never herd the end of it from you non-jeeper friends.
The snow had about 4" of crust, followed by 5 or 6 inches of powder. Underneath that was a layer of ice. Everything was going good until I broke thru the crust. Take a second look at the pic and it will make more sense now.

I got stuck last Winter in a snow drift, after that I bought the matt's and snow shovel. Glad I did. I was about 1.5 hours from anywhere. Would have been a long walk out. LOL.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
The snow had about 4" of crust, followed by 5 or 6 inches of powder. Underneath that was a layer of ice. Everything was going good until I broke thru the crust. Take a second look at the pic and it will make more sense now.

I got stuck last Winter in a snow drift, after that I bought the matt's and snow shovel. Glad I did. I was about 1.5 hours from anywhere. Would have been a long walk out. LOL.
Thanks for the explanation. Looks like no fun for sure. Thankfully you had some basics tools and know how to get out without the hike!!!! :)

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
Chris (OP), you might want to go into your Amazon history and post a link to the items. In my case I have multiple such shovels, but I don't have mats--and yours look very nice.

Speaking of nice, Utah has some beautiful territory (think Alta), and looks like you were in the middle of some!

Stay safe, stay healthy!

Sponsored

OP
OP
basinite

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
Chris (OP), you might want to go into your Amazon history and post a link to the items. In my case I have multiple such shovels, but I don't have mats--and yours look very nice.

Speaking of nice, Utah has some beautiful territory (think Alta), and looks like you were in the middle of some!

Stay safe, stay healthy!
Holy cow!!! You never release how much you order from Amazon until you go back and look at your history. LOL.

I took the matts to the car wash to clean them off and noticed they were damaged. One has a nasty crack and both had some of the "knobbs" nocked off. I think I will still get another use out of them before I need to replace. I will definitely purchase again and I highly recommend them.

I have a bag I keep in the back of the Jeep and keep essential " just in case" items in it, i.e. tow rope, these matts, shovel, tools, blanket, gloves, first aid kit and etc.

Here is the link you wanted. Looks like you can now order in different colors, but also looks like the price went up a bit.

I'll attach a pic of the most damaged matt.

Thanks for the kind words about Utah. It is beautiful and thousands of places to explore.

9DCF1ACC-A7A9-414B-ABBF-F9734E004FD4.jpeg

UTES

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Sahara, 2018 AMG GT, 2019 MB GLC
Occupation
Retired LEO
I have a bag I keep in the back of the Jeep and keep essential " just in case" items in it, i.e. tow rope, these matts, shovel, tools, blanket, gloves, first aid kit and etc.
That is a wise decision. I also have a Trail Bag I keep in my Jeep that's used for when I'm off-roading. And, it's best to have it handy during our snowy Winters as well. I often travel the Pony Express Trail and I've needed the tools/straps kept in the bag when I've encountered someone stuck out there on The Trail who was not prepared for it.

Hunter

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
Thanks for the link. Looks like Bunker makes at least 3 models of "traction boards," per Amazon.

Sponsored

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I purchased this snow shovel and traction mats on amazon awhile back. Both were advertised for Jeepers, due to their compact size.

Got stuck in the snow out in the middle of nowhere today and these items saved my butt!!! Took me about an hour to dig out.

I think I paid around $50.00 for both. Money well spent.

D034A8C5-D02C-4357-B902-CAA05A6A4F86.jpeg

E07BA32C-D061-4D38-B888-DDA765991E36.jpeg

FDC2DC84-1C29-49BE-96D1-161DE3C35E22.jpeg

your Jeep doesn't have the LSD does it ?

OP
OP
basinite

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
your Jeep doesn't have the LSD does it ?
It does and happy for it. The LSD worked great and luckily I have good snow/mud tires, so I was able to "climb" back onto the snow crust after digging out the snow from underneath the Jeep (hi-centered). People trash LSD's, but I've always had great luck with them. That being the case, nothing, not even lockers, work worth a crap when your hi centered and your tires aren't even touching the ground.

The traction matts gave me the momentum I needed to build up a little speed. Both rear tires were spinning on the ice, unit they grabbed the traction matts. I could literally feel the rear end pick up when they grabbed. If not for the traction matts, I would have had to use the "old school method" sticks, branches and etc. The traction matts saved me a lot of time and hassle. I can't emphasize enough how useful they were.
Sponsored