Sponsored

Windshield wiper should have been top mounted?

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I apologize in advance for the bad fee, but it is to illustrate the idea.

p_709truke1.jpg

Is it better to put a windshield wiper on top for easy and fast folding windshield? Was the obstacle to this idea the water pipe or other things?
I think it's a convenient place but maybe at high speeds you start to swing.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ahmed

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Usually the motors/hinges for the wipers are fairly large. I think it would be hard to fit there without a big box like what on the rear of the current JK(but bigger)
I'm sure they were thinking about putting a glass mop but I think they did not find the sizes of motors / hinges to be small and practical.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
It would have been nice if they found a way to flip the windshield down without removing the wipers, but the two extra nuts won't stop me from enjoying the open air. I hope they put a notch on the wipers so they only line up one way.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I'm thinking that it's only the off-road segment that's interested in dropping their windshield, and even they won't do it every time they're off roading despite the improved ability in the JL to raise and lower the windshield.

Speaking of which, the entire process is down to 4 screws, plus 2 for the wipers, which is a drastic drop from the 20 or so it took to lower the JK's windshield. So net-net, people aren't apt to complain that they need to remove the wipers I think.

As mentioned, I think wiper motors in the small space at the top of the windshield would be hard to implement (read: $ passed along to the consumer.)

In a world where FCA is aiming to offer each trim at a specific price, each feature added is another one that gets back burnered for fear it will, at increased cost to offer, holding sale price constant, reduce FCA's profit margins.

Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I'm sure I'll pull the windshield down a few times on road and wear my motorcycle helmet just for fun. Off-road I imagine dropping it Everytime(more likely to pull it off and leave it at camp with my doors on a weekend trip.) The only downside is I can see myself getting smacked more often by tree branches etc. Even with the JK windshield braches would slingshot and smack me or a passenger in the face on occasion.

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
I apologize in advance for the bad fee, but it is to illustrate the idea.

p_709truke1.jpg

Is it better to put a windshield wiper on top for easy and fast folding windshield? Was the obstacle to this idea the water pipe or other things?
I think it's a convenient place but maybe at high speeds you start to swing.
Actually, putting the wipers at the top of the windshield is a silly idea. The motor and linkage which drive the wiper arms would take up too much interior space. Then with the windshield folded down, you’d lose some visibility.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Beyond the motor issue, which as already mentioned is a major problem as can be seen in the rear, but also the actual wiper pattern inverts the cleaning semi-circle and while it would reveal more of the open sky it could obscure the edges of the Wrangler and roadside depending on driver position.

Also with them resting at the top of the window instead of below, they would be more likely to be affected by airflow over the windshield when at rest, likely not only reducing aero dynamics and increasing turbulance on open tops, but also likely to reduce their efficacy.

Of course I have not tested these theories, but they would be ones I could see being an issue.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with Ape. The aerodynamics would almost certainly be an issue, making the brick even worse. The motors and complexity are a deal breaker, too. You'd have to plumb wiring and actuators, which would make the windshield more heavy, and top heavy, at that, impeding ease of folding. Because of that weight, it would need larger bolts, more bolts, or both, to fasten it properly in the up position. It also wouldn't have the room to lay as flat.

I'll be running around in my small town with that windshield down all the time in the summer. Wal Mart makes some motorcycle sunglasses that have foam around the eye frames. Also, there are Oakley-style cheap glasses that do a good job of keeping the wind out of your eyes. I may even go with protective shooting glasses in that kind of shape. Lots of options out there. I'll bet Ape will be running around with his ski goggles on and windshield down in January! I think that folding windshield will be one of my favorite JL features!

I would have loved them to put small amber LED clearance lights in the top of that windshield frame. That would have been easy.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I'll bet Ape will be running around with his ski goggles on and windshield down in January!
Nah, I rarely wear goggles unless it’s puking powder, and with the recent return of the Wind Jackets which are like the original Oakleys (had 3 pairs when they were sold @ Canadian Tire, long before the Frogskins came out), I probably won’t wear goggles again.

I bought a pair of these on Cyber Monday after the races @ Louise where it was powdery at the peak and raining at the base, so woulda been perfect day dor them, but also perfect option for full windshield down on days like yesterday (Sunny & high of 55F) at home.

FB2E76E1-D4BA-4634-BBDD-DF8DE56057AA.jpeg

The 30th Anniversary edition of the originals which originally had a bit more cheap plastic and foam around them.

5D51FE0E-A84A-451A-97C9-77B2A89CBA62.jpeg

Sponsored

whatroads

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 1500 QC 4x4, 2012 Wangler
I'm ok with the location of the windshield wipers. Should I ever drop the windshield wiper removal should not be an issue. Should they have been located in the windshield I would have had wiring concerns. In other words, how long the wiring would survive before it started to decompose.

I primarily wheel in the central Midwest. I will leave the top and windshield on/up and possibly remove the side panels. Having large bugs/spiders or snakes drop in your lap, while wheeling, can be very disturbing. You might think its funny until it happens to you. I've seen more than one jeep impale a tree due to a black snake falling in their lap

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'm ok with the location of the windshield wipers. Should I ever drop the windshield wiper removal should not be an issue. Should they have been located in the windshield I would have had wiring concerns. In other words, how long the wiring would survive before it started to decompose.

I primarily wheel in the central Midwest. I will leave the top and windshield on/up and possibly remove the side panels. Having large bugs/spiders or snakes drop in your lap, while wheeling, can be very disturbing. You might think its funny until it happens to you. I've seen more than one jeep impale a tree due to a black snake falling in their lap
True, but that can happen with the top open, just as easily. I haven't seen one drop on the hood or through the top in 30+ years of 4 wheeling, so not a huge concern, for me. I have had a pellican take a dump across the dash of my YJ, though. It was like being bombed by liquid cat $h**. AWEFUL! I hosed it off at a dirt stripper and went on my merry way. #JeepLife My windshield was up, so it didn't help any. In fact, it deflected some of it back into the cabin. The new folding windshield might have caught some of it and held it like a big bowl, making for easy cleanup!

SKT

First Name
SKT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler

Agree w/ others here. There is a reason Jeep no longer uses top-mounted WS wipers:

000F3741-906F-49AA-8299-44119F129FEB.jpeg
7B3C93B3-C272-421D-914F-94B189668DF6.jpeg
C99FB48C-F7E2-4A09-8E40-1653372BD184.jpeg
31542B51-55CF-49C1-89DD-BE813AE1BA0C.jpeg
674098F4-D279-4664-A90A-E17F335230B9.jpeg

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
Nearly impossible for reliable top mounted wipers and even with your illustration Ahmed, it looks like you would have to remove the wipers or have wiper scratches all over the hood. I believe It would be much easier for Jeep to engineer the wipers to fold down and out of the way but that would most likely require removing a retaining pin to help collapse the wiper arm and we all know how pins love to disappear. Its bad enough everyone demo'ing the lowered windshield and not one of them has the damn strap! :facepalm:

Only issue I can see with the current set up are knuckle heads over tightening the wiper arms with non-oem nuts (cause they lost them) causing the wiper to not move when needed. Forgetting to remove the wipers and crunch! Also lazy peeps not strapping down the windshield and hello glass cracking! lol.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
It would add too much weight up high and increase the center of gravity causing too many roll over accidents. Jeep can't take that risk.
Sponsored