Sponsored

Windshield protection 3 layer tear away.

MalteeseJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
So I posted about this in another thread but I installed a Racing Optics windshield protector and so far I'm happy with it, I had to contact them as there was a small crease in the top edge and after a week it wouldn't stick down so they sent me another one, so their customer service is top notch!
Link to the product page
HERE

Use coupon code "forum" should give a small discount

My windshield is filthy but here is a pic of it applied
Jeep Wrangler JL Windshield protection 3 layer tear away. 20200702_141829
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jaeth

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.standardroofingok.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Very curious about this and how it holds up to use. Their website states they expect about 6 months per layer and good rock protection. Summer and bugs and wiping it off constantly is what I'm not sure about.

OP
OP
MalteeseJLU

MalteeseJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Very curious about this and how it holds up to use. Their website states they expect about 6 months per layer and good rock protection. Summer and bugs and wiping it off constantly is what I'm not sure about.
Well I've made a few good highway trips to the lake and back, tomorrow I'll be giving it a good cleaning so I'll post a few pics of before and after

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd
I just placed an order for this. It came out to $179.10 with the discount code, which isn't bad. My deductible for a new windshield is $500, so it's cheap insurance if it can last for 1-2 years.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
How is the view from inside the Jeep? It does not affect the view through the glass even a little bit?

I've been looking at solutions like this but am worried it will change the clarity of the glass much like a screen protector on a smartphone does (I can't stand using these).

Sponsored

OP
OP
MalteeseJLU

MalteeseJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I just placed an order for this. It came out to $179.10 with the discount code, which isn't bad. My deductible for a new windshield is $500, so it's cheap insurance if it can last for 1-2 years.
I think it'll last every bit as long as they say

OP
OP
MalteeseJLU

MalteeseJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
How is the view from inside the Jeep? It does not affect the view through the glass even a little bit?

I've been looking at solutions like this but am worried it will change the clarity of the glass much like a screen protector on a smartphone does (I can't stand using these).
I think the clarity is fine, are you referring to the orange peel look of older style screen protectors? Because there is none of that. I could of done a better job squeegeeing the solution out of mine I only have a couple spots where you can tell it's there.

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd

I'm not sure how well it will come out, but I'll take before and after pics when I install it and give my honest assessment.

OP
OP
MalteeseJLU

MalteeseJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I'm not sure how well it will come out, but I'll take before and after pics when I install it and give my honest assessment.
I think you'll be happy, I haven't had a chipped or cracked windshield prior to getting this, but I saw a couple posts that made me search one out. My biggest suggestion when installing is to be liberal with the solution! Both upon applying to the windshield sides and to the "outside" when squeegeeing out the solution between the glass and film.

It takes a few hours out in the hot sun to set and about a week for it to fully dry. I was a little bit worried I screwed it up After a day or two I still had moisture streaks. But they faded as it dried out.

Just to be clear I am in no way affiliated with Racing Optics I contacted them due to a small crease in the film when I got it that wouldn't stick, told them about the forum and they passed on a code

OP
OP
MalteeseJLU

MalteeseJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Alright fellas it took longer than I anticipated to get some pre and post wash pics along with using multiple types of cleaners on the windshield film.
So here is the bug collection...
Jeep Wrangler JL Windshield protection 3 layer tear away. 20200811_151814

And after using, windshield cleaner wipes, "Awesome" cleaner, and some tar asphalt and bug remover.
Jeep Wrangler JL Windshield protection 3 layer tear away. 20200811_185001
Jeep Wrangler JL Windshield protection 3 layer tear away. 20200811_185146

I can see a few spots where its taken a few rocks and I still have a few areas where I can see my installation screw ups, but they are much less noticeable from the inside. Overall I'm really happy with it. Any questions feel free to ask

Sponsored

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd
I did receive this kit in the mail, but I had a similar issue like the OP. I installed it and there were 2 spots where it wouldn't attach completely. I tried to email the company on a Friday evening and they replied within minutes with helpful suggestions. Their quick replies even continued into Saturday and Sunday. Ultimately they offered to send out another kit, so I'm waiting on that one to arrive. They also offered to walk me through some install tips over the phone. So I'll post my progress, along with their tips after I receive the new kit and install it next week.

OP
OP
MalteeseJLU

MalteeseJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I did receive this kit in the mail, but I had a similar issue like the OP. I installed it and there were 2 spots where it wouldn't attach completely. I tried to email the company on a Friday evening and they replied within minutes with helpful suggestions. Their quick replies even continued into Saturday and Sunday. Ultimately they offered to send out another kit, so I'm waiting on that one to arrive. They also offered to walk me through some install tips over the phone. So I'll post my progress, along with their tips after I receive the new kit and install it next week.
Sorry to hear you had the same issue, pretty sure its the shipping company handlers just tossing the packages around, glad to hear they are sending another.

I personally left on the first one to see how it holds up, and its been fine so far in the spot where it won't stick down.

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd
Sorry to hear you had the same issue, pretty sure its the shipping company handlers just tossing the packages around, glad to hear they are sending another.

I personally left on the first one to see how it holds up, and its been fine so far in the spot where it won't stick down.
Mine just looks sloppy. It's a brand new Jeep. I can live with the one spot that didn't stick down under the driver's side wiper blade, but that big one spot in the top middle is the deal breaker. Sorry about the sun shade in the pic.

I left the windshield protector on to see if all the spots clear up. I applied it last Friday and there are still some spots visible. They have cleared up a lot, but I'm hoping they clear up completely. You can see a lot of them below.

Jeep Wrangler JL Windshield protection 3 layer tear away. 20200809_113157

OP
OP
MalteeseJLU

MalteeseJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Mine just looks sloppy. It's a brand new Jeep. I can live with the one spot that didn't stick down under the driver's side wiper blade, but that big one spot in the top middle is the deal breaker. Sorry about the sun shade in the pic.

I left the windshield protector on to see if all the spots clear up. I applied it last Friday and there are still some spots visible. They have cleared up a lot, but I'm hoping they clear up completely. You can see a lot of them below.

Jeep Wrangler JL Windshield protection 3 layer tear away. 20200809_113157
Oh yeah, that's no good. Did you have a second set of hands or did you do it by yourself? Most of those little spots will fade but I totally get the two bigger ones, the film definitely needs to be kind of tugged from both ends to prevent those "rolls" mine had that as I was applying it. But my buddy and I really tried to stretch it as it slid around on the solution before I started squeegeeing.

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd
Oh yeah, that's no good. Did you have a second set of hands or did you do it by yourself? Most of those little spots will fade but I totally get the two bigger ones, the film definitely needs to be kind of tugged from both ends to prevent those "rolls" mine had that as I was applying it. But my buddy and I really tried to stretch it as it slid around on the solution before I started squeegeeing.
My wife helped me, but to be fair: she had a few drinks by that point. Stress from the impending "let's play teacher to our kids while we're working from home" adventure that began on Monday here in FL.

Next time I'll be sure she's sober and pulls on it a bit first. Hmm.. that probably didn't sound right :CWL:
Sponsored