Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Occupation
RN
Hi everyone.

I was hoping to get advice on a windshield mount for a 50inch lightbar.

It's not going to be aesthetically pleasing but it'll be for a 50" curved lightbar too , more so for functionality. I currently have a 20" lightbar mounted on my steel bumper in-front of my winch.

I've seen options on stores like extremeterrain and Quadratec and was hoping you guys would know of Australian suppliers or distributors.

How strict is the ADR when it comes to windshield lightbar?
Sponsored

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
Just recently the NSW laws were changed with regards light bars. We are now allowed a larger light bar than before. I don't have a light bar so I have not looked into the detail.

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, Hella Yella
There is plenty written about it online. With different state rules, it is hard to find anything conclusive. My take on it is the usual rules apply;
* Must be used only when high beam switched on, and must turn off via the high beam switch.
* Must be mounted evenly across the central axis of the vehicle
* Maximum of 4 additional lights on a vehicle. A light bar is counted as one light if lights evenly across it's width when turned on. Fog lights are also included in the count, unless they were standard fitment.
...plus
* Roof mounted lights should not provide reflection from the bonnet or any other forward part of your vehicle which may impair your vision. Mounting them further back along the roofline helps with this, but then it's not a windshield mount.
* There is always going to be the question of height, where potentially oncoming traffic over a hill may be impacted by your roof mounted lights before you are aware of their approach.

Suggest doing your research, so you can be confident you shouldn't get pinged.

See attached

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jayphil

Jayphil

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Occupation
RN
There is plenty written about it online. With different state rules, it is hard to find anything conclusive. My take on it is the usual rules apply;
* Must be used only when high beam switched on, and must turn off via the high beam switch.
* Must be mounted evenly across the central axis of the vehicle
* Maximum of 4 additional lights on a vehicle. A light bar is counted as one light if lights evenly across it's width when turned on. Fog lights are also included in the count, unless they were standard fitment.
...plus
* Roof mounted lights should not provide reflection from the bonnet or any other forward part of your vehicle which may impair your vision. Mounting them further back along the roofline helps with this, but then it's not a windshield mount.
* There is always going to be the question of height, where potentially oncoming traffic over a hill may be impacted by your roof mounted lights before you are aware of their approach.

Suggest doing your research, so you can be confident you shouldn't get pinged.

See attached
Thanks for that. I've been reading up on the legislation, some articles from utimotive journalists and observing other rigs on the road.

I've asked some people on social media that have the lightbar setup on the windshield.

I'll keep a copy of the VSI on my phone incase I get pulled up.

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
I"m not sure you're going to be able to find a windshield mount for a curved bar: I"d think that a straight bar would conform more to the "lines" of the roof..but I'm a yankee, I might not know dung ;)

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon EcoDiesel
DNA Off Road sells the KC Hilites mount. I think it's the best looking mount for the JL especially if you colour match it.
Sponsored