Sponsored

Windows & Doors off year round?

The_Paper_Cut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Sport 2-Door
I live in Southern California where the temps really never go below 60 (except for maybe really early in the morning in the winter it may get down to 55). I have a 2020 2 Door JL Sport S with a soft top. I'd really like to at least keep the windows off year round since it's usually always so nice and I'd still have the option of throwing the soft top roof up if I wanted. But what about doors as well? It never really rains out here, but when it does my interior obviously wouldn't be protected very well with the exception of the soft top roof. Would this be a problem? It never really rains more than an inch, and maybe rains once every 6 months it seems. I live on a military base so I keep it parked outside at all times, but I'm not concerned about anyone "breaking in" to my Jeep since its a military base and I never keep valuables in there anyways. My main concern is possible water damage. Also in the mornings with dew, would that potentially cause problems with the electronics inside the vehicle since it would get covered by morning dew as well?

I ask all of this because I don't have a good way of storing my doors or soft top windows, so if I take them off I'd have to keep them in my storage unit which would be a pain to put off and on everyday or so. TIA!
Sponsored

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
I live in upstate NY, so this is not an option for me. Seems feasable. Does your ride have mudflaps? I see how much muck gets thrown up on my doors and imagine that would go right in the cabin without them. Also, leather or cloth? THis seems more feasable with leather. FInally, would you be willing to rip out the carpet and put in an aftermarket rubberized floor? I hear they can be a pain to put in, but if I was going doorless and windowless all the time I think it would be worth it.

OP
OP
The_Paper_Cut

The_Paper_Cut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Sport 2-Door
I live in upstate NY, so this is not an option for me. Seems feasable. Does your ride have mudflaps? I see how much muck gets thrown up on my doors and imagine that would go right in the cabin without them. Also, leather or cloth? THis seems more feasable with leather. FInally, would you be willing to rip out the carpet and put in an aftermarket rubberized floor? I hear they can be a pain to put in, but if I was going doorless and windowless all the time I think it would be worth it.
I don't have mudflaps but where I am it's so dry that there's never any mud, just dust. Also I have cloth, but have been contemplating getting seat covers or not. Maybe this'll push me to get them if it seems they'll get pretty dirty. And I already have the all terrain rubber floor mats, unless you're talking about even more than that in which case no. But if I could replace whatever carpet is left in there with rubber then I'd love to do that regardless!

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
I don't have mudflaps but where I am it's so dry that there's never any mud, just dust. Also I have cloth, but have been contemplating getting seat covers or not. Maybe this'll push me to get them if it seems they'll get pretty dirty. And I already have the all terrain rubber floor mats, unless you're talking about even more than that in which case no. But if I could replace whatever carpet is left in there with rubber then I'd love to do that regardless!
Yeah, I'm thinking of ripping all the carpet out too. I've seen some aftermarket answers for that. THey make the floor 100% rubber and have easy access to the drain plugs so you can just spray out the floor (in theory). Once I'm actually ready to pull the trigger I will search this forum a bit harder to verify if anybody else has the rubberized floor and if spraying it out is as easy as it seems.

Whiskeybiskit

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL wrangler sport s
Vehicle Showcase
I wish I could go doorless year round. As for the rubber floor liner, that's next for my jl sport s. I did this to my previous jku. Ripped out the carpet and put in bedrug bedtred. It's an amazing product, like one big floor mat.

Sponsored

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
I’m kicking myself for ever leaving San Diego and say go for it.

I run doorless and windowless for as long as I can until it gets too cold in northern Virginia. No problem with moisture despite getting caught in heavy rainstorms.

Compensate with a manual transmission, Jpeggz mirrors, aftermarket center console lock box, and pulled drain plugs.

Jeep Wrangler JL Windows & Doors off year round? 6907B8D5-CCA7-4FB2-8761-40D5C13359FC

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I live in Southern California where the temps really never go below 60 (except for maybe really early in the morning in the winter it may get down to 55). I have a 2020 2 Door JL Sport S with a soft top. I'd really like to at least keep the windows off year round since it's usually always so nice and I'd still have the option of throwing the soft top roof up if I wanted. But what about doors as well? It never really rains out here, but when it does my interior obviously wouldn't be protected very well with the exception of the soft top roof. Would this be a problem? It never really rains more than an inch, and maybe rains once every 6 months it seems. I live on a military base so I keep it parked outside at all times, but I'm not concerned about anyone "breaking in" to my Jeep since its a military base and I never keep valuables in there anyways. My main concern is possible water damage. Also in the mornings with dew, would that potentially cause problems with the electronics inside the vehicle since it would get covered by morning dew as well?

I ask all of this because I don't have a good way of storing my doors or soft top windows, so if I take them off I'd have to keep them in my storage unit which would be a pain to put off and on everyday or so. TIA!

I do not think it is a good idea for the interior to be exposed to rain with the doors and windows off. But that's just me.
Sponsored