Sponsored

Window tinting?

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Tinted my front 2 windows to match the back with 35% motoshield on amazon. For $35 it turned out decent for my first time tinting. Didnt see the need to tint the back windows with clear since the top is down a lot. Looks much better with the fronts matching the backs.
Sponsored

Howi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019
Not allowed front side tints in the UK!

Although I always do and will on this at some point

SABLE RHINO

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S 3.6L
Matched front to back and top, looks much better.

Iwantfullauto

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I did 5% all the way around, and 50% on the entire windshield. Same as my last vehicle, Chevrolet Tahoe. Having the windshield done makes a huge difference and 50% is not bad at all, even at night, but it is not legal in most places...

James

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
I did 20% all around including over the factory rear, and a 5% strip at the top of the windshield. Here’s the before and after.

DE8C13DE-B154-4472-BC00-11FD42FD024F.jpeg

DC2C65B6-62DC-4957-8ECC-1B5351CE5C66.jpeg

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
well i live in Nevada where an untinted car in direct sunlight can get to 140+ in the summer. with all of my windows tinted and the front with clear tint my car only gets to 120-130. so i see all of your tints don't work and raise you a thermometer.
Also, if you wear transition glasses, like me, you would know that your windows block UV and other rays because your glasses will not get darker while inside the vehicle. There is nothing getting thru the windows to activate the tint:like:
You're both right. Yes adding tint makes a difference, and yes factory tint blocks some UV light. For all of you who think the stock windows are untinted, take a closer look. The factory windows are 70%, and do have some amount of UV protection.
Window specs.jpg

Notice at the bottom left side of that spec it calls out 70% transparency. Roll up your window and take a look, it's on the bottom edge by the door opening. This photo was taken of my Jeep about 2 minutes ago.

As noted by GreyFox, those who wear transition sunglasses will quickly notice they are useless in a vehicle with the windows up (and top on) because the glasses require UV light to affect the transition. Since that spectrum is blocked (even if only partially) with stock windows, the glasses won't transition.

And yes as Gropax is away that adding tint to the factory windows will help with the greenhouse effect. That's not to say that it couldn't be worse. If the stock windows had nothing at all, the interior may get to 160°+ rather than 140°. With added tint you shave it down some more. That makes sense so yeah the thermometer is probably right.

To answer the question of the thread. I tint the front to 50% (the legal limit in Ohio) and leave the windshield alone at it's stock 80%. On the back I put a layer of 20% over the stock tint, so it comes down to around 5%. I like the idea of the front and back matching but I'm keeping mine legal.
I do my own tint, and I typically use security film on mine. I like ceramic films for their heat reduction, but I like the metallic films for their semi-reflective quality. What fill you get really depending on what you want, and what is legal in your area.

Last edited:

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon