Sponsored

Wind Noise from A-pillar - solved!!!!

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
I wanted to post my solution to this as it's been driving me insane. I haven't seen anyone else post about this (but admittedly haven't read every thread on the forums). Hopefully this is helpful to someone else.

I've been having a wind noise from the passenger side a-pillar that sounded like I had a window open slightly. Around 70 it would even whistle a bit, so I knew it was an air leak somewhere.

I spent hours chasing this down with painters tape and finally found the solution. Unfortunately it comes down to poor design...

The windshield outer frame is attached to an inner support structure that is welded to the outer frame using stitch welds. However, between those stitch welds there is enough of a gap for air to wrap around the a-pillar, come back forward and through the gap into the interior.

The solution is easy enough - fold the windshield down and apply RTV sealant to the seam underneath both of the drain spouts that run along both sides (you'll see the seam where the outer reinforcement is welded to the outer frame). Allow time to cure, and problem was solved.

Hope this helps someone else.

Edited - added pics. You can see the seam just on the inside of the window frame that air gets into. That seam wraps around to a weld joint just underneath the drain tube. Next to that you can see the RTV that I added to solve this problem.

CC7B4063-9C13-40B8-89E7-B64954F26439.jpeg

39F1F012-678D-4508-A606-ADBE9B8B43F3.jpeg

56B42748-46A0-4858-99AD-DC754493CA13.jpeg

F5EAFBBC-23F7-4B30-BAA9-5F794DAA3C28.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
pics?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting.

A whistling windshield is usually a sign of a poorly seated/sealed glass.

If my JL came like that from the factory, I’d take it to the dealership.

OP
OP
Quick

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
Thanks for posting.

A whistling windshield is usually a sign of a poorly seated/sealed glass.

If my JL came like that from the factory, I’d take it to the dealership.
Perhaps whistle was the wrong descriptor. Maybe high-pitched rush of air? Very similar to an open door.

Either way, you can see from the pics that it’s not the windshield seal.

Sponsored

Ricky-Tips

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy’s Edition
I’m going to give this a shot. I took mine in for the exact same issue...2 days later I got it back with a new windshield but still enjoyed the same air draft sound.
At this point, I’ll try anything.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Following, to see if there is another guinea pig before I give it a shot. I don't have time right now or I would get r done myself.

Bumps Ahead

First Name
Valerie & Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ontherocks4x4.org
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Happy Wife, Happy Life....
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like Jeep may have made a modification to address the A-Pillar wind noise..... went to apply the fix in this thread and those spots in the A-Pillars are now filled with a large piece of foam from the factory (2021 JLUR 4XE), see pics below.

Front window down, top of picture is bottom of front windshield, large black foam piece is inside the drivers side A-Pillar and encompasses the drain hose that is seen alone in the prior posts here.
Jeep Wrangler JL Wind Noise from A-pillar - solved!!!! IMG_2594

Passenger side, top of picture is bottom of front windshield laying flat on hood, black foam on far left is in the A-Pillar
Jeep Wrangler JL Wind Noise from A-pillar - solved!!!! IMG_2593

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Looks like Jeep may have made a modification to address the A-Pillar wind noise..... went to apply the fix in this thread and those spots in the A-Pillars are now filled with a large piece of foam from the factory (2021 JLUR 4XE), see pics below.

Front window down, top of picture is bottom of front windshield, large black foam piece is inside the drivers side A-Pillar and encompasses the drain hose that is seen alone in the prior posts here.

Passenger side, top of picture is bottom of front windshield laying flat on hood, black foam on far left is in the A-Pillar
How is the foam attached there? That definitely looks like a great upgrade to do to an earlier windshield.

Sponsored

Bumps Ahead

First Name
Valerie & Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ontherocks4x4.org
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
How is the foam attached there? That definitely looks like a great upgrade to do to an earlier windshield.
It looks like it was filled in place around that drain tube, as the tube is in the middle of that foam (and the foam is not exactly a beautiful fit, looks like it was formed in some cheap mold with expanding foam and the drain tube sitting down the middle of it. I tried to pull it out (not hard, but enough that if it were loose it would come out) and it seems to only be held in place by the drain tube connections to the window frame at the top and bottom of that section.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
It looks like it was filled in place around that drain tube, as the tube is in the middle of that foam (and the foam is not exactly a beautiful fit, looks like it was formed in some cheap mold with expanding foam and the drain tube sitting down the middle of it. I tried to pull it out (not hard, but enough that if it were loose it would come out) and it seems to only be held in place by the drain tube connections to the window frame at the top and bottom of that section.
Thanks for the info. Doesn't look like there's a part number/decal on it anywhere either. Is your new Jeep quieter in that area with the foam in place compared to an early JL?

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted to post my solution to this as it's been driving me insane. I haven't seen anyone else post about this (but admittedly haven't read every thread on the forums). Hopefully this is helpful to someone else.

I've been having a wind noise from the passenger side a-pillar that sounded like I had a window open slightly. Around 70 it would even whistle a bit, so I knew it was an air leak somewhere.

I spent hours chasing this down with painters tape and finally found the solution. Unfortunately it comes down to poor design...

The windshield outer frame is attached to an inner support structure that is welded to the outer frame using stitch welds. However, between those stitch welds there is enough of a gap for air to wrap around the a-pillar, come back forward and through the gap into the interior.

The solution is easy enough - fold the windshield down and apply RTV sealant to the seam underneath both of the drain spouts that run along both sides (you'll see the seam where the outer reinforcement is welded to the outer frame). Allow time to cure, and problem was solved.

Hope this helps someone else.

Edited - added pics. You can see the seam just on the inside of the window frame that air gets into. That seam wraps around to a weld joint just underneath the drain tube. Next to that you can see the RTV that I added to solve this problem.

CC7B4063-9C13-40B8-89E7-B64954F26439.jpeg

39F1F012-678D-4508-A606-ADBE9B8B43F3.jpeg

56B42748-46A0-4858-99AD-DC754493CA13.jpeg

F5EAFBBC-23F7-4B30-BAA9-5F794DAA3C28.jpeg
Friendly reminder that RTV isn't the best product to use because most are corrosive as they cure. There are products specifically designed for this application, such as automotive seam sealer or 3M strip caulk:

Amazon.com: 3M Urethane Seam Sealer, 08367, Black, 310 mL Cartridge: Automotive

Amazon.com: 3M Strip Calk, 08578, Black, 1 ft Strips, 60 per carton: Garden & Outdoor

I tend to prefer the latter, as it doesn't require any surface prep, and is designed to seal painted metal surfaces. Hope this helps, and best of luck!

Last edited:

Bumps Ahead

First Name
Valerie & Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ontherocks4x4.org
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info. Doesn't look like there's a part number/decal on it anywhere either. Is your new Jeep quieter in that area with the foam in place compared to an early JL?
Coming from a Mercedes....it's quite noisy on the freeway 🌬 , honestly don't know as we did not own a Jeep previously. Having watched some posted videos, I will say it is no where near as loud as some I heard online, but you definitely hear wind hitting those pillars, but again, no first hand experience 🤷‍♀️

OP
OP
Quick

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
I ended up buying a 2021 Gladiator due to "truck needs". I had the windshield down this weekend and noticed it had the same foam in the corners

tempImage8SAv1p.png
Sponsored