Sponsored

Wind deflector for the Sky One-Touch Roof?

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon JLU 2.0t w/ eTorque & Moto Guzzi Griso
Hi, I just picked up a 2019 with the Sky One-Touch roof. . . . which I am loving. . . . except for the wind noise (with it closed) at anything over about 65 miles an hour. Common commute speed is ~80. It's pretty loud. Has anyone put a sun roof wind deflector on their roof? Did it help? What did you use? I'm thinking something like this. . . but am open to other ideas:

https://www.carid.com/black-horse/black-horse-sunroof-deflectors-1357787622.html?vehicle=

(I replied to an old post on interior mods about a liner as well. . . figured I'd come at this from two perspectives.) Thanks!
Sponsored

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
I'm not sure thats the top, probably just the general vehicle shape pushing a lot of air at 80. I rarely get over 65 and haven't noticed anything unusual

OP
OP
MarkyMark

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately it is the top. While I love it, the hard tip version is notably quieter. I think a small wind deflector would make a significant difference. Also wish someone would make a roller (or even Velcro’d in) sound deadener for long road trips. The single layer roof just had a fair amount of noise at higher speed.

kmusk01

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon
Hmmm I just picked up a Recon with the Sky One-Touch and caught myself going 80MPH and the sound was just as loud as my old JKU with hardtop. I have read some people have issues with the top and needs adjustment to "fit" better. The bad part is you would need to find a tech that knows the Sky One-Touch.

Ken~

Memphis Peej

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pilot, Acura TSX, 2019 Moab!!!
I have a 19 Moab with Sky One Touch. Love it!!! No issues with overly loud wind noise with top up.

Sponsored

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Interesting idea! I'm not bothered much by the noise, but the hours I commute the sun gets in my eyes and with the windows open a hat isn't too practical. This might be a good answer!

OP
OP
MarkyMark

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hear what you’re all saying and appreciate the feedback. I think my top is adjusted correctly and it’s not horrible... but l’d like it quieter... why not?! There was a great windscreen made for the JK. It’s what I want for the JL. Has anyone modified a JK screen to work with the JL? It seems like it would be beneficial when the top was down or even for hard tops when the freedom top portion was removed.

FedeF

First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3 - Alfa Romeo Stelvio
I have the sky one touch and love it. However, I have been thinking to make a liner that connects to the ribs of the top, so it will open with it. Choosing the right material, I think it will improve both soundproofing and heat exchange.

OP
OP
MarkyMark

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the sky one touch and love it. However, I have been thinking to make a liner that connects to the ribs of the top, so it will open with it. Choosing the right material, I think it will improve both soundproofing and heat exchange.
Interesting, I was looking at the same thing. Having a “double wall” would isolate noise and help with temperature control. Have you given any thought to how you would do it? I was thinking of drilling small holes into the ribs and using plastic push buttons (like used for installing the carpet) to hold up fabric. But I’m concerned about voiding my warranty. Plz let me know if you proceed. I’ll be very interested in what you come up with.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Hi, I just picked up a 2019 with the Sky One-Touch roof. . . . which I am loving. . . . except for the wind noise (with it closed) at anything over about 65 miles an hour. Common commute speed is ~80. It's pretty loud. Has anyone put a sun roof wind deflector on their roof? Did it help? What did you use? I'm thinking something like this. . . but am open to other ideas:

https://www.carid.com/black-horse/black-horse-sunroof-deflectors-1357787622.html?vehicle=

(I replied to an old post on interior mods about a liner as well. . . figured I'd come at this from two perspectives.) Thanks!
You would need to find one that is more along the lines of 50" so it fits the windshield header the ones that are typically used for sunroofs are 24-30" there is one place that offered one for the JK and the reviews for it were not too positive.
https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/2018-Jeep-Wrangler-(JK)-WestinWestin-Top-Wind-Deflector-72-20102/_/R-BCTC-72-20102?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1p7-gomn6QIVg4TICh1hIQNIEAQYEyABEgLAk_D_BwE&ecmp=s:google_9816137034_102861481911__pla-302862171076_Westin_WES72-20102251553_YMM_US&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&emlprox=out&ppcfon=1&gp=1&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMI1p7-gomn6QIVg4TICh1hIQNIEAQYEyABEgLAk_D_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!7836!3!430284196290!!!g!302862171076!&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SC Shopping - NTM Desktop&ecmp=s:google_9816137034_102861481911__pla-302862171076

Sponsored

FedeF

First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3 - Alfa Romeo Stelvio
I work in the yachting industry and there are many yachts that use a similar system on hard top and have liner. I will take photos and share them with the forum.
I am thinking to talk to a friend that makes upholsteries for yachts to help me and come out with a good option!

Memphis Peej

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pilot, Acura TSX, 2019 Moab!!!
I work in the yachting industry and there are many yachts that use a similar system on hard top and have liner. I will take photos and share them with the forum.
I am thinking to talk to a friend that makes upholsteries for yachts to help me and come out with a good option!
I'm intrigued with what you might come up with.

OP
OP
MarkyMark

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ll second that! Please keep us posted

JimSa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Nudging this thread.... Has anyone found a solution to the flapping noise? I have a similar problem on 2019 JL w/ Bestop TrekTop and a light bar. Not sure if the JK version of the wind visor will fit the JL brow or not. I can't seem to find any information on JL owners that have tried it. Also curious about a yachting part hack, if one exists...

OP
OP
MarkyMark

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm hoping we get something going too. I reached out to Hot Head Headliners. Hoping they might be doing something. They said they were looking at it. . . possibly a liner which would attach to the bottom side of the SOT and retract with it. (How cool would that be). However, sounded liked they needed some more customer demand to prioritize it. . . . so, please reach out and ping them. They're super nice :)
Sponsored