Sponsored

winches to fit the JLR's optional steel bumper?

OP
OP
STW

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
Here's a bumper that might work out with minimal effort. Would just have to figure out how to remount the fog lights if that's a concern since it is a JK bumper. https://www.hansonoffroad.com/proddetail.php?prod=JKML1102-P

Hanson_JK_8274mount.jpg
Ha! last thought I had at the dealer when I was checking that JL steel bumper option box on my JLR order was, "what if there is a better bumper than this I like more and that works better with an 8274?"

One thing I like about the JL steel bumper winch mounts posted here (thanks) is the spool is mostly down below the bumper level, more protected, and better for radiator clearance especially with the tall 8274 winch--that JK photo is pretty much how the 8274 looks on my TJ.

Maybe the reason Warn doesn't push the 8274 much anymore--hard to find on their site like Sardog found--is that it's still rated for 8k (what the 8 stands for I think). If that's still the rating it's fairly low nowadays by current winch rating standards.

The link that came up for me is a "history of the Warn 8274" and I love history. But if you're having trouble pulling someone out, they don't want to hear, "but it's a historical winch." Hmmm. As an 8274 fan I will have to do some more research...
The history of the WARN M8274 winch | WARN Industries
Sponsored

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
You're right that having the space designed into the bumper makes it winch ready. We'll give them that ;-) Having an integrated winch plate already there would be even better--what I was assuming--but that would be a lot of wasted steel and frame-tie for those who are not going to install a winch.

So that green-jeep photo is showing the winch installed to the frame with a winch plate in place, and then the JL optional steel bumper mounts around/on top of that?
Yes the bumper now will slide onto the frame and around the winch. Just need to bolt up the bumper and the winch fairlead.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I recently installed the Warn winch plate and their Zeon 12s on my factory steel bumper. Everything is tucked out of sight, so once buttoned up there's not much to see.

Jeep Wrangler JL winches to fit the JLR's optional steel bumper? 20210918_141703
Jeep Wrangler JL winches to fit the JLR's optional steel bumper? 20211013_132712_resized

Also worth mentioning: The Zeon 8k, 10k, and 12k are of identical physical sizes. Same goes for the VR Evo in those 3 capacities.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
You should just contact Warn directly. They'll tell you the 8274 won't fit the stock location.

BradyW

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Vehicle Showcase
I recently installed the Warn winch plate and their Zeon 12s on my factory steel bumper. Everything is tucked out of sight, so once buttoned up there's not much to see.

Jeep Wrangler JL winches to fit the JLR's optional steel bumper? 20211013_132712_resized

Also worth mentioning: The Zeon 8k, 10k, and 12k are of identical physical sizes. Same goes for the VR Evo in those 3 capacities.
Did you have any troubles and do you have any lessons learned or things you would do differently if you were installing a second one? I am installing this exact setup very soon myself

Sponsored

ZigZag

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR (Hellayella)
Occupation
IT Professional
Clubs

I used a Westin winch mount and a Superwinch (by Westin) 10k with Synthetic rope. The bumper required some trimming to get it to fit and my son said that one bolt (on the bumper) would not go in. Not sure about that but the winch is not mounted to the bumper. It is mounted to the plate and the plate is mounted to the frame. It seems like it was an easier install that some of the others (except for trimming). No pics right now. Maybe I will get some tomorrow and post up.

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
My JLR came with a factory-included steel bumper. I bought the Warn Zeon Platinum 10-S and it fit. Like a glove. As in really, really hard to get the bumper back on, but after 3 tries it worked. Side note: The larger the winch (10-S is pretty big), the less space you'll have if you plan to put the Mopar Winch/brush guard on the bumper. Pretty sure there are no spacers for that winch/brush guard available unless you have them fabricated. All that means is that your winch will fit, but it's like 1/32nd or closer to the winch/brush guard once all is said and done. I also had to buy the following things:

1) Mopar winch mount
2) Mopar fairlead centered adaptor
3) Different shackle/thimble if you don't want a Warn hook (I'm sure there are tons of threads on this)

Don't buy a winch cover unless your winch is tiny and/or it's not mounted in the bumper. You'll never get the cover on.

Lastly, I took my JLR to a install shop and I'm very, very glad I did. But after it's done and before you leave the shop....take a flashlight and check ALL the bolts, under the vehicle's bumper, around the skid plate, around the inside of the winch area, etc. They left 2 bolts out, 1 untightened...I think it's because my winch caused a lot of heartache with the guy putting it into the bumper and he was exhausted and wanting to be done by the time the job ended. But I didn't check and ended up buying some bolts and tightening a few others to complete the job. Also, be ready to tidy up the wiring inside as there are a few ways the wires can go but to make it look good you might want to have some zipties handy.

Good luck! I just literally went thru this so I know you are trying to plan it all correctly. I think you are doing this right, but I bet there are threads on this too....
I have a Warn Zeon 10-S on a Maximus-3 mount plate. I have a Warn cover on it (it is VERY tight, the mounts had to be loosened in order to get it on) after thought, should have had it put on when the winch was installed.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Did you have any troubles and do you have any lessons learned or things you would do differently if you were installing a second one? I am installing this exact setup very soon myself
It was all pretty straight forward and a completely bolt on affair. Not cutting or fitting required on anything.

My one screw up was not putting the sliding abrasion sleeve on the line before pinning it to the drum. I did catch it about half way through the job, but assumed it could still be slid on at the hook end. Turns out I was wrong, as the sleeve only fits over the drum end of the line.

There's a metal wire that comes with the winch. It's used as a short snake to pull the line through the drum. I suggest folding it in half before feeding it through the lines eyelet, so you have a total of 4 wires to pull the line through. I used vise grips to get a firm hold on the snake because it takes some effort, hence doubling it up for added strength. Also, soaking the end of the line with soapy water helps. The line fit so snug in the drum that I couldn't fully seat it by hand. Before spooling it up under tension, with a tree saver strap in the backyard, I 1st had to throw the Jeep in reverse to fully anchor the line in the drum.

jaardappel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Nomad, dog-father, Jeep enthusiast
I have a Warn Zeon 10-S on a Maximus-3 mount plate. I have a Warn cover on it (it is VERY tight, the mounts had to be loosened in order to get it on) after thought, should have had it put on when the winch was installed.
Do you have a photo of the warn cover on the winch? I still don't think I can get the cover on with the winch/grill guard I put on, but I'd like to see what it looks like if I could have....

Sponsored

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have a photo of the warn cover on the winch? I still don't think I can get the cover on with the winch/grill guard I put on, but I'd like to see what it looks like if I could have....
I’ll take a couple tomorrow.

BradyW

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Vehicle Showcase
Got the Zeon 12-S mounted with the Warn winch plate to the stock steel JL bumper. No fitment issues but getting the inner bumper stud nuts back torqued up was a bear. Had to shackle up to the truck and reverse to fully set the rope key in the drum. Glad it's over.

E12D747B-D187-4487-9438-D2E0BDD1D7F4.jpeg

340118AE-E58B-4028-8300-5B9D09B6049E.jpeg

E1272EF5-7BF4-4E0E-8EBC-965BC37B8F7B.jpeg

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
Here are a couple pics. It’s VERY tight, but all the controls can be accessed through the cover.

BD73AD25-C16F-435A-B4AC-7DD445A96D2B.jpeg

6A506DDB-418C-4593-9564-531242617752.jpeg

6A4EC6FE-4BBA-420B-9F3D-93D30BADADC7.jpeg

190D09CF-60BF-4343-A191-349914B6B6FE.jpeg

2AC66A5A-A54C-4B95-A879-A1AB592ADADD.jpeg

572C987C-843B-4ACE-A74A-419AFDF6C80C.jpeg

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Anyone have difficulty getting everything clean inside the bumper and winch when it is recessed that way? I noticed I had quite a bit of mud on the inside of my bumper after last weekend in a number of water/mud crossings.

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have difficulty getting everything clean inside the bumper and winch when it is recessed that way? I noticed I had quite a bit of mud on the inside of my bumper after last weekend in a number of water/mud crossings.
I don't do a lot of water crossing or running puddles at speed but in my pics the yellow plastic that is behind my Factor 55 Flatlink Multimount and the Fairlead is a piece of flexible cutting board. I cut it to the shape of the fairlead to keep the dirt, salt (and chemicals) that are used on our roads here in the winter from getting into my synthetic winch rope. Not sure if something like that would help you from at least keeping things from getting into your winch.
Sponsored