Sponsored

winches to fit the JLR's optional steel bumper?

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
which brands or models of winch will mount down inside the winch mount of the optional steel bumper offered on the JL? Is it any four foot / four-bolt winch or is it a tight interior space that needs a certain winch dimensions?
Will it fit a Warn 8274? with its front wall mounting method?
Haven't seen the optional JL bumper up close since ordering, so am wondering how to plan for the winch install.
Sponsored

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
You'll need to get a winch plate first. Most will accommodate most any normal sized 7-12k winch. Warn, Mopar, Grimm Off Road, Maximus-3 etc. are all options.

Cjanak21

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber Security Consultant
Grimm Off-road winch plate and Warn Evo 10-S… love the setup

9A289B24-5D72-418D-8AA3-AF7F8CE84261.jpeg

D418EC13-5FF8-4908-B55E-9BE51050292C.jpeg

jaardappel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Nomad, dog-father, Jeep enthusiast
which brands or models of winch will mount down inside the winch mount of the optional steel bumper offered on the JL? Is it any four foot / four-bolt winch or is it a tight interior space that needs a certain winch dimensions?
Haven't seen the optional JL bumper up close since ordering, so am wondering how to plan for the winch install.
My JLR came with a factory-included steel bumper. I bought the Warn Zeon Platinum 10-S and it fit. Like a glove. As in really, really hard to get the bumper back on, but after 3 tries it worked. Side note: The larger the winch (10-S is pretty big), the less space you'll have if you plan to put the Mopar Winch/brush guard on the bumper. Pretty sure there are no spacers for that winch/brush guard available unless you have them fabricated. All that means is that your winch will fit, but it's like 1/32nd or closer to the winch/brush guard once all is said and done. I also had to buy the following things:

1) Mopar winch mount
2) Mopar fairlead centered adaptor
3) Different shackle/thimble if you don't want a Warn hook (I'm sure there are tons of threads on this)

Don't buy a winch cover unless your winch is tiny and/or it's not mounted in the bumper. You'll never get the cover on.

Lastly, I took my JLR to a install shop and I'm very, very glad I did. But after it's done and before you leave the shop....take a flashlight and check ALL the bolts, under the vehicle's bumper, around the skid plate, around the inside of the winch area, etc. They left 2 bolts out, 1 untightened...I think it's because my winch caused a lot of heartache with the guy putting it into the bumper and he was exhausted and wanting to be done by the time the job ended. But I didn't check and ended up buying some bolts and tightening a few others to complete the job. Also, be ready to tidy up the wiring inside as there are a few ways the wires can go but to make it look good you might want to have some zipties handy.

Good luck! I just literally went thru this so I know you are trying to plan it all correctly. I think you are doing this right, but I bet there are threads on this too....

jaardappel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Nomad, dog-father, Jeep enthusiast
Jeep Wrangler JL winches to fit the JLR's optional steel bumper? 1637193193711

Sponsored

EbyCreek

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392
Occupation
ARMY (Retired)
Warn 10s Platinum

IMG_3630.JPG

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Good luck if you want to go the 8274 route. I expect that it would a pretty good effort and quite a bit of cutting/modifying to get that one to fit. If you try it, though, take tons of pics. I want to see that.

OP
OP
STW

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good luck if you want to go the 8274 route. I expect that it would a pretty good effort and quite a bit of cutting/modifying to get that one to fit. If you try it, though, take tons of pics. I want to see that.
Haven't looked into details yet, but I see Warn still sells the 8274 so it seems likely they would also offer a mounting plate to work with the current Jeep model (?). If so, I may consider another 8274 for the JL and leave my older 8274 on the TJ since it has its big plate mount all set up there. And spent so much effort finding a TJ lift that gave the right balance for the 8274 on the front of a fourbanger TJ.

Sponsored

OP
OP
STW

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What I am understanding from these helpful replies and photos (thanks!) is I need to learn about which winch plates fit the JL optional steel bumper?
Or is there a standard winch plate the JL optional steel bumper also fits?
If so, is it a winch plate that goes in front or is it underneath the winch, mounted to the bumper?
And if the JL optional steel bumper needs a winch plate, why do they call the bumper winch-ready?

Thanks for the help--haven't been following Jeep stuff since I got my TJ sorted out years ago. So behind now!

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
The winch plate mounts to the frame mostly, using the bumper bolts as well....the winch ready part basically means you can install the winch in the bumper without cutting anything, and without replacing the bumper.....I guess haha
Jeep Wrangler JL winches to fit the JLR's optional steel bumper? IMG_20210925_120448505

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Haven't looked into details yet, but I see Warn still sells the 8274 so it seems likely they would also offer a mounting plate to work with the current Jeep model (?). If so, I may consider another 8274 for the JL and leave my older 8274 on the TJ since it has its big plate mount all set up there. And spent so much effort finding a TJ lift that gave the right balance for the 8274 on the front of a fourbanger TJ.
I just did a quick search and the only plate I saw on their site was designed to fit their Crawler bumper but you might be able to fab something up to put it on top of the stock metal bumper. I don't think it would be worth the effort, personally, for the stock bumper.

eta. I looked further on the Warn site and it's not the easiest winch to find on their site. I had to perform a search to find it.

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
STW

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The winch plate mounts to the frame mostly, using the bumper bolts as well....the winch ready part basically means you can install the winch in the bumper without cutting anything, and without replacing the bumper.....I guess haha
Jeep Wrangler JL winches to fit the JLR's optional steel bumper? Hanson_JK_8274mount
You're right that having the space designed into the bumper makes it winch ready. We'll give them that ;-) Having an integrated winch plate already there would be even better--what I was assuming--but that would be a lot of wasted steel and frame-tie for those who are not going to install a winch.

So that green-jeep photo is showing the winch installed to the frame with a winch plate in place, and then the JL optional steel bumper mounts around/on top of that?
Sponsored