Yogi1956

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Clubs

What boggles my mind and I cannot comprehend is why anyone would even buy a Jeep Wrangler and add a winch that never sees off highway? There is zero reason for it.

Since I learned how to drive I have never once purchased or considered a vehicle only to deliberately avoid using it for what is was designed for.

In the dozens of forums and thousands posts not one person has given a reason for this purchasing behavior other than they "like the look".

Even if I was filthy rich with money to burn I could only purchase a vehicle for function and capability.

It's a disservice to clog up a Jeep Wrangler forum with threads such as this one.
Regarding your concern of clogging , one persons clog is another persons legit question

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Grand Wagoneer 3 series, 2022 Rubicon 392
Both of these get off road as often as possible. Part of the best thing about jeeps is that they clean up and look great. Guess they look a little mall crawlerish with winches when all shiney :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Winches on Mall Crawlers? JustDesserts
How do you like the tow bar base plate? Also what winch mount plate are you using with it?

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Regarding your concern of clogging , one persons clog is another persons legit question
So true...

You will never convince people to stop decorating vehicles, it is a national pastime and nearly a right of passage for Jeepers.

I am in the "only in the name of function" category myself but find it pointless to try and dissuade people from doing what they want with their money and their vehicles.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I've been doing this for 15 years. It involves snatch blocks etc to make sure the Jeep is far from the danger zone. It's safer than it sounds.
My brother and I have been doing the same 2-parted guide for about the same amount of years. Most of the trees we've fallen were due to death, disease, or those severely damaged by storms. Those don't always want to fall where you want them, regardless of how perfect your hinge and back cuts are.

Loggers are typically falling live wood that is pin straight. On the off chance that one comes down funny, their only concern is running in a diagonal line to not be under it. They don't share the concern of theirs or their neighbors house or personal property.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
My brother and I have been doing the same 2-parted guide for about the same amount of years. Most of the trees we've fallen were due to death, disease, or those severely damaged by storms. Those don't always want to fall where you want them, regardless of how perfect your hinge and back cuts are.

Loggers are typically falling live wood that is pin straight. On the off chance that one comes down funny, their only concern is running in a diagonal line to not be under it. They don't share the concern of theirs or their neighbors house or personal property.
Well if you think a good experienced logger can't make that tree fall exactly where he wants it you haven't been around a good tree cutter...

I spent a couple of seasons helping log out a deep canyon. We only took the dead and diseased and it was almost always imperative that the trees lay where you needed them too in the thick forest so we could skid them out. I have been witness to some ridiculously impressive tree falling by guys with 20 and 50 years of experience respectively. I will share your comments with them, we will have a good laugh.

I have also been around when my good friend has dropped trees in the immediate vicinity of multi million dollar homes in Telluride as well as dozens of other homes and structures. I have listened to guys like you tell him it couldn't be done, you know "tree experts" from the state agricultural service and local tree services. I have never seen him miss, we have never rigged a line to a tree. I have seen it done hundreds of times.

Thanks for the "education" though...LOL Wasn't looking for clarification, just made a comment. I would never rig a vehicle to a tree, good luck.

logs.jpg

linux_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 6-speed manual, 2011 Compass 5-speed manual
Save all this venom and keyboard activism for those who donk their Jeeps. And obviously also for angry grills. And the trifecta: a donked Wrangler with an angry grill and a winch.

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Well if you think a good experienced logger can't make that tree fall exactly where he wants it you haven't been around a good tree cutter...

I spent a couple of seasons helping log out a deep canyon. We only took the dead and diseased and it was almost always imperative that the trees lay where you needed them too in the thick forest so we could skid them out. I have been witness to some ridiculously impressive tree falling by guys with 20 and 50 years of experience respectively. I will share your comments with them, we will have a good laugh.

I have also been around when my good friend has dropped trees in the immediate vicinity of multi million dollar homes in Telluride as well as dozens of other homes and structures. I have listened to guys like you tell him it couldn't be done, you know "tree experts" from the state agricultural service and local tree services. I have never seen him miss, we have never rigged a line to a tree. I have seen it done hundreds of times.

Thanks for the "education" though...LOL Wasn't looking for clarification, just made a comment. I would never rig a vehicle to a tree, good luck.

Jeep Wrangler JL Winches on Mall Crawlers? logs
I've worked with pro loggers too. It's not always an exact placement of felled trees. Most pro tree guys working around homes etc seem to use bucket trucks to take trees down from the top. I can drop a tree pretty well, but use the Jeep winch as a little bit of insurance. Any pro logger would admit a rotted tree can twist & fall completely off mark. I was working with one that dropped a tree on 4 lane highway due to unknown rot.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
OP here. Sorry to have caused such firestorm. I also belong to the GT3 forum. On the JL forum, some like to engage in shaming members regarding their (lack of) off-road activity. On the GT3 site, their version is shaming for not tracking your car. The equivalent of winches on mall-crawlers, is owners installing roll cages (matching colors, no less) in cars that will never turn a lap. Both a little silly given the circumstances, but to each their own. At least a winch is an inexpensive adornment - roll cages are not cheap.

For the record, I have neither a winch nor a roll cage. A disappointment all around. :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Winches on Mall Crawlers? red

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I've worked with pro loggers too. It's not always an exact placement of felled trees. Most pro tree guys working around homes etc seem to use bucket trucks to take trees down from the top. I can drop a tree pretty well, but use the Jeep winch as a little bit of insurance. Any pro logger would admit a rotted tree can twist & fall completely off mark. I was working with one that dropped a tree on 4 lane highway due to unknown rot.
I know, everybody is a "Pro"... Until they show you they are not anyway. The fact that it can go wrong is exactly why I wouldn't rig to a vehicle.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Dude. 19 pages. Some people telling others to STFU. 😂 😂

Just do wtver man who cares. Get a winch to pull your massive banana republic shopping bag to your trunk if you want. Lol.
:jk:

Last edited:

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
WOW, that seems like a dangerous game... I learned to fall trees from an ex-logger that used to drop around 300 a day for 20 years. There are better ways...
I've dropped
I know, everybody is a "Pro"... Until they show you they are not anyway. The fact that it can go wrong is exactly why I wouldn't rig to a vehicle.
I'm not going to continue this forever, but I don't think you're understanding the entire concept of what I do. I refer plenty of residential jobs to "pro" loggers when it's out of my range. A bucket truck is usually the best remedy. I've cut 100's & maybe 1000's of trees in the forests. There's a different kind of exactness in a forest than is required around a building. At any point, my Jeep or anything around it is in NO danger. You'll have to take my word on it. Actually, you don't have to as I know you'll never agree. I know what I do is as safe as any tree felling operation. After seeing YouTube videos of morons hooking on etc, I would have to say "Don't try this at home". Have fun Jeepin.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
What you don’t see is the 7% of miles not on pavement… but, it seems like you probably don’t get out there or wouldn’t be asking these questions.
My problem is that the "not on pavement" is a long way from where I live. I just got back from a 2400 mile trip in which 300 miles was not on pavement. That's a little higher than your 7% but that was just for one trip and most of my trips have fewer miles off pavement. Of the off pavement there were nearly 200 miles on real 4WD roads, this is closer to your 7%.

Back to the original subject- don't forget that mall crawlers have to have snorkels too. It might get really deep in those parking lots.
Sponsored