Winches on Mall Crawlers?

ECP

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
This is Canton Avenue in Pittsburgh, PA, the steepest public street in the lower 48. Notice the cobblestones, Pittsburgh has a lot of cobblestone streets, other steep streets, potholes and poorly maintained roads. Just living in Pittsburgh and owning a Wrangler should remove the owners from being called Mall Crawlers.
Screenshot_20210529-130720_Google.jpg
Its can't be that bad of a hill, that Town Car made it! ;)
Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Yeah, this feels more like a ā€œWhy do people put winches on vehicles that donā€™t meet my expectations of what an off-road vehicle isā€ thread.

I might be one of those people. Daily driver, stock height JLUR on 33s and I have no body damage. 93% of my miles are on pavement. Big 12k Zeon up front.

What you donā€™t see is the 7% of miles not on pavementā€¦ but, it seems like you probably donā€™t get out there or wouldnā€™t be asking these questions.
OP here. Actually my first statement was that I don't get out there at all. To your point, maybe that's why I ask so many dumb questions.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I bought a Rubicon and put an aluminum front bumper on it and winch, set it up for flat towing and hauling my dog,, so I could bird hunt out of it. But the only took one big hunt trip before the pandemic hit. So, now it is basicallly a grocery getter. But, I may get to do some hunting out of it this season. Maul crawler? More like Costco crawler.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
OP here. Actually my first statement was that I don't get out there at all. To your point, maybe that's why I ask so many dumb questions.
Rick, your questions arenā€™t dumb.

Regarding the fallacious assumption that pristine Jeeps arenā€™t driven off-road, I can say that most of the folks I wheel with are meticulous about (1) avoiding body damage, and fixing it quickly if they do damage it; (2) cleaning, buffing, and waxing their Jeeps thoroughly and often. There are tons of Jeeps out there that are driven regularly off-road that look showroom-quality between their adventures. Thatā€™s the rule, not the exception, in my opinion.

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
My Jeep will never see real off roading. I use my winch when cutting down trees to guide them to fall exactly where i want. What you see driving down the road isn't always what it appears to be.

Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
My Jeep will never see real off roading. I use my winch when cutting down trees to guide them to fall exactly where i want. What you see driving down the road isn't always what it appears to be.
WOW, that seems like a dangerous game... I learned to fall trees from an ex-logger that used to drop around 300 a day for 20 years. There are better ways...

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Trail ā€œpin-stripingā€ and minor wheel scuffs are unavoidable if you take your Jeep on a moderately difficult trail.

When I lived in California, rock crawling would damage the wheels and the undercarriage no matter what; on occasion, trails with deep ruts and chutes with tall walls would damage a fender or a body panel.

Here in the Pacific Northwest, overgrown tree branches and roots are the thing. I already got a minor dent on the passenger side doors. Snow is the other ā€œthingā€ here, but snow normally wonā€™t leave visible damage.

You have to be willing to live with some degree of damage if you take your Jeep into the wild.

JasonS

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My buddy; who shall remain nameless, but his initials are T. M. Has a rubicon recon, 37ā€™s, 3.5 lift with Falcon top of the line shocks, still bumpers warn, wirelsss winchā€¦ā€¦ wonā€™t take it off roadā€¦. He washes it a lot.

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
My jeep is absolutely clean and it goes off road, just careful and much cleaning. I've yet to use the winch because of being stuck but it has been extremely useful around the house. Just last weekend I pulled my grandfather's 66 f100 under a carport with a locked up rear drum. Zero problem, couldn't have moved it without.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
My buddy; who shall remain nameless, but his initials are T. M. Has a rubicon recon, 37ā€™s, 3.5 lift with Falcon top of the line shocks, still bumpers warn, wirelsss winchā€¦ā€¦ wonā€™t take it off roadā€¦. He washes it a lot.
Tell me you're jealous without telling me you're jealous lol.

We have a few rigs here that are fully kitted up for overlanding but I do not think they actually go anywhere, my guess is they do some kind of instagram photo shoots. Not necessarily the way I'd spend money, but it's not my money so meh...my kids think they look cool.

Sponsored

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
You'd probably think mine is a mall crawler if you see it driving around, but take a close look at my bumpers, wheels, tires, and sliders and you'll see the tell tale signs of wheeling. They are all scratched, dented, and gouged from rocks.

I had a couple guys tell me I need to get it out and get some dirt on it right after I got home from EJS at Moab.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
You'd probably think mine is a mall crawler if you see it driving around, but take a close look at my bumpers, wheels, tires, and sliders and you'll see the tell tale signs of wheeling. They are all scratched, dented, and gouged from rocks.

I had a couple guys tell me I need to get it out and get some dirt on it right after I got home from EJS at Moab.
All you have to do is look at my flattened tailpipe šŸ˜

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
Both of these get off road as often as possible. Part of the best thing about jeeps is that they clean up and look great. Guess they look a little mall crawlerish with winches when all shiney :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Winches on Mall Crawlers? 20210924_163147

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
WOW, that seems like a dangerous game... I learned to fall trees from an ex-logger that used to drop around 300 a day for 20 years. There are better ways...
I've been doing this for 15 years. It involves snatch blocks etc to make sure the Jeep is far from the danger zone. It's safer than it sounds.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
What boggles my mind and I cannot comprehend is why anyone would even buy a Jeep Wrangler and add a winch that never sees off highway? There is zero reason for it.

Since I learned how to drive I have never once purchased or considered a vehicle only to deliberately avoid using it for what is was designed for.

In the dozens of forums and thousands posts not one person has given a reason for this purchasing behavior other than they "like the look".

Even if I was filthy rich with money to burn I could only purchase a vehicle for function and capability.

It's a disservice to clog up a Jeep Wrangler forum with threads such as this one.
Sponsored