Winches on Mall Crawlers?

Overwatch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, Sarge Green 392
One note, I have a built up JK and I put a winch on there because everyone told me I had to have it. In six years I used it once, and only because I wanted to finally try it out. I use recovery ropes all the time, and soft shackles are a marvel. Maybe it's because I always Jeep with other people though.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
One note, I have a built up JK and I put a winch on there because everyone told me I had to have it. In six years I used it once, and only because I wanted to finally try it out. I use recovery ropes all the time, and soft shackles are a marvel. Maybe it's because I always Jeep with other people though.
We Jeep alone all the time, still rarely use the winch so it’s probably not that. Even on tough trails, proper line choice will avoid most stuck situations. On the dusy erishim trail, we did get stuck once. Front tire slipped off a rock so the front dif was sitting right on top of it. Probably could have turned on the lockers and drove it out, obviously could have used the winch and pulled it out. Both of those options would have likely led to either dif cover damage or front driveshaft damage depending on if went forward or backward. Instead, grabbed the hi lift, jacked up the drivers side rock slider, rolled a rock under the front tire, and drove out. There are situations where the winch is the best recovery tool, and a bunch of them where it simply isn’t. I’ll pull cable if I’m stuck in a mud hole or deep snow. I’ll pass on dragging my Jeep through the rocks.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
A winch is a tool, like any other, probably not an every day tool but a nice to have when you need it kind. I also have a nice torque wrench and set of several sized allen keys that I think I've only used 4 of. The one time I really needed a winch and didn't have one was enough for me to always plan to have one if my vehicle could support it. Even getting stuck in the snow drifts at the mall I could always hook up to a street light lol.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Have a buddy who wanted a winch just to make his jeep look cool. He was going back and forth over the cost. I told him he could probabky find a broken one for super cheap and save big $$. Not like anyone would know it doesnt work :LOL:

I wonder how many brand new winches are mounted and not wired up 😂

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Have a buddy who wanted a winch just to make his jeep look cool. He was going back and forth over the cost. I told him he could probabky find a broken one for super cheap and save big $$. Not like anyone would know it doesnt work :LOL:

So that's what those wires are for!!!!

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

Mall crawler spotted out in the wild!

(not my video)
I love it!! Reminds me of a time I was stuck at a light and growing impatient so into 4wd it went and up and over the curb and a berm to snake through a parking lot to avoid the jam of people trying to turn the other way. I turned around mid crawl and another driver was laughing giving the thumbs up.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x

Hmmm- If someone comes up with a phony plastic stick on winch they could make a fortune. Sell it in a package with phony hood scoop and vents and make even more 🤔

Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker

Mall crawler spotted out in the wild!

(not my video)
I totally did this once instead of try to figure out the stupid parking lot entrance, except it was a white truck with a 7" lift and 35's so I was much more noticeable :giggle:

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I'm not sure how anyone can deduce what someone else does or doesn't do with their Jeep simply because they keep it clean and don't abuse it like you do. Why does anyone really care?

I'll be out in snow at some point and may need to use my winch. Also, it's a multi-use tool. For instance I pulled fence posts with mine and my Jeep was spotless before and after. So, I'm a mall crawler I guess since my Jeeps looks like I give a damn about keeping it nice.

I don't really care about those with that I'm better than you since I go rock crawling attitude. Wow what a big ego that is to carry around.

I could probably take your Jeep apart with an adjustable wrench, a pare of pliers and a screwdriver, then see you fail to put it back together with a fully stocked snap on tool box. But you won't see me on here criticizing or belittling people who can't or don't want to be that mechanically inclined. It doesn't matter enough to spend time pointing it out.

Again, who really cares what people do or don't do with their Jeep? It just doesn't affect you.

Last edited:

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
My buddy has a Mall Crawler with a winch. So far he has only used it to pull up bushes while landscaping.
LOL, here is my mall crawler pulling out some landscaping. Man this was really maxing out my Jeep.

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
were you trying to take that truck home with you? lol
No, But I did find a few parts I could use on my other truck at the time.
Sponsored