Winches on Mall Crawlers?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
For the folks on the thread that have reported that they off-road hard and, at the same time have a pristine Jeep, how the heck do you do that? How do the terms "off-road hard" and "pristine Jeep" peacefully coexist in the same sentence? If this is truly a cake-and-eat-it-too situation, I may start off-roading as well.

Hell...my vehicles have been known to be damaged by errant shopping carts at the mall.
There's different degrees of wheeled hard. Running hard trails like the Rubicon, John Bull, poison spider through Gold bar, etc while taking care to keep the sheet metal off the obstacles is 100% doable. Driving those same trails like you're an ultra 4 racer on the other hand will result in trail damage every time. Freshly detailed, the 3,000+ trail miles only show from the under side.
Jeep Wrangler JL Winches on Mall Crawlers? 20210419_133629
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
There's different degrees of wheeled hard. Running hard trails like the Rubicon, John Bull, poison spider through Gold bar, etc while taking care to keep the sheet metal off the obstacles is 100% doable. Driving those same trails like you're an ultra 4 racer on the other hand will result in trail damage every time. Freshly detailed, the 3,000+ trail miles only show from the under side.
Jeep Wrangler JL Winches on Mall Crawlers? 20210419_133629
Well said. I was amazed that I got through the Rubicon Trail with out body damage. The skid plates and rock sliders did take a beating. I will be pulling my rock sliders off in a few weeks to get them sandblasted, and re-powder coated. I just consider it general maintenance.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Well said. I was amazed that I got through the Rubicon Trail with out body damage. The skid plates and rock sliders did take a beating. I will be pulling my rock sliders off in a few weeks to get them sandblasted, and re-powder coated. I just consider it general maintenance.
I don't even go that far, quick mask job and some rattle can bed liner while they are still on the jeep works for me.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I don't even go that far, quick mask job and some rattle can bed liner while they are still on the jeep works for me.
I do that also. I touched up all the black stuff with a can on Sunday. I usually us a huge piece of cardboard and then tape off small stuff.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I don't get the feeling there is a standard to it. I bet there are more people who go off road without a winch than people who only drive on road with a winch.

Like all of the threads that say..."I don't plan to go off road but how much lift do I need to clear 37's?"

That's rampant.
"Whats the biggest tire I can put on my 22's" is common as well; sadly.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
"Whats the biggest tire I can put on my 22's" is common as well; sadly.
I usually tell people that the biggest tire depends on what you plan to do. If you plan to not turn or flex the suspension, you can run a huge tire.

CNSD

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
If your that hard up to find the “posers” look under their rigs for scrapes, scratches and tail pipe damage. It’s a dead give a way and maybe you won’t lose anymore sleep over it.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
20210419_133629.jpg
off topic but how do you like those yokohamas and are they loud on the road? also are those 37 or 35's? those are on my shortlist but didn't think they made a 37.

I use rustoleum 'rust reformer' on my sliders and anything underneath that gets scratched up. you'll see the gouges but no rust....

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
I put some RockHard step rock rails on that keep the shopping carts and car doors off the side of my delicate aluminum doors. Seems to be working.
That's one of my favorite uses for the rock sliders I had on my TJ (lifted). They would mangle their door before they could even get close to mine! (when I actually had doors on)

Sponsored

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
The same typo... more than once. Come on. Once is a typo. More than that is simply wrong. Regardless, wrong, or even typo, mixed with guns can be deadly. That's all.
A typo mixed with guns whaaat? :facepalm:

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
If your that hard up to find the “posers” look under their rigs for scrapes, scratches and tail pipe damage. It’s a dead give a way and maybe you won’t lose anymore sleep over it.
Have you noticed that people feel more comfortable being rude behind an anonymous keyboard? Life is much better when you try to be nice. I asked a simple, polite question and you come back with attitude.

And...you're new here. Welcome to the forum.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
off topic but how do you like those yokohamas and are they loud on the road? also are those 37 or 35's? those are on my shortlist but didn't think they made a 37.

I use rustoleum 'rust reformer' on my sliders and anything underneath that gets scratched up. you'll see the gouges but no rust....
They are 37x12.50x17's, surprisingly quiet and well mannered on the street considering how aggressive they are. Very happy with them on road and even more so off road. Pushing 15,000 miles on them so far and about 2k off road miles. Everything from 90+ mph freeway driving to ~80mph in the dirt in the desert to rocks to mud they've performed well everywhere. I imagine they would suck on ice, but that's not an issue for us.

Concrete King

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
A typo mixed with guns whaaat?
A lot can be lost in text, so I can't tell if you're really this dumb or if you're playing. Though I can't fathom why you'd want to appear dumb, so I assume you really are. Either way, put your .556 down and step away before you hurt yourself. Be safe, TrailScooter.

Jeep Wave.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
It's the same discussion with the manual trans, manual door lock, manual window for durability and performance guys. A modern auto outperforms a manual in everything from hellcats at the drag strip to smooth application of torque on the trail. The technology is there and it's great. Your basic jeep is still run by a supercomputer in comparison to even a fuel injected 4.0L of yesterday. It's not about being modern or old school, it's about what works better.
Driving a manual these days has nothing to do with what works better. It’s about what we enjoy driving.
Sponsored