Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Yeah, I dunno which one of those is the more self-entitled asshole.
Sponsored

flharleycop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2018 Ford Raptor, past 79 CJ5, 86 CJ7, 11 JKU
Occupation
Retired
I live in the mountains and I am off road a lot, if you saw my Jeep you would think it has never been off road cause I use this thing called soap and water and a power sprayer when it gets dirty. I like my stuff clean, I also have a wench and use it regularly maybe you saw my Jeep at the mall as I have been there too but dont usually do much wenching in the parking lot…

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I live in the mountains and I am off road a lot, if you saw my Jeep you would think it has never been off road cause I use this thing called soap and water and a power sprayer when it gets dirty. I like my stuff clean, I also have a wench and use it regularly maybe you saw my Jeep at the mall as I have been there too but dont usually do much wenching in the parking lot…
You may want to make sure that your wife does find out about your wench. The one you use regularly. I couldn't resist - sorry. :)

p.s. I've made the exact same typo.

flharleycop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2018 Ford Raptor, past 79 CJ5, 86 CJ7, 11 JKU
Occupation
Retired
You may want to make sure that your wife does find out about your wench. The one you use regularly. I couldn't resist - sorry. :)

p.s. I've made the exact same typo.

WOW you are right I hope she isn’t reading this… lol

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
I've tried wenching in the parking lot, but the cops showed up and sent the wench home to her parents.
Jeep Wrangler JL Winches on Mall Crawlers? 1618795094969

Sponsored

JohnT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
4-minutemiles.weebly.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
I use my Wrangler 100% on road and therefore I don’t have a winch. But...I see a lot of pristine Jeeps out there with winches. Do people equip their onroad Jeeps that completely?
Never had one on any of my jeeps until I bought a jeep that had one. I have used it twice - once because I had to and I am glad I had it, and another time, when I learned that you really should have a heavier machine that what you are trying to move with the jeep. My neighbors just laughed as my jeep dragged itself up to the stump I was trying to remove :)

Winches mostly look REALLY awesome in my mind. Probably will get one soon enough.

wrangler-rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I can count on one hand how many times mine has been used off-road (that said) I don’t nearly go off road nearly as much as I would like. I can also count on one hand how many times I have used on road (somewhat) too. I anchored myself down to a tree and via a dual snatched (pulley) managed to get a F-350 porta-John flatbed buried axle deep out of some gooey mud (yes mud only) while he was doing a pickup and miscalculated how solid the ground was. Another instance where a compass parked roadside at a park and again miscalculated how wet and sunk himself a bit. Bottom line, despite 95% of my time on road I’ve still managed to help folks out, I do always require they do the hookups and take that responsibility (double check) and as long as they capable and willing to let me record saying they accept responsibility, I’ve helped out. Litigious society always does concern me even as a Good Samaritan.

KB34

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 4 Door, 2020 Grand Cherokee Limited X, 1978 Trans am
I use my Wrangler 100% on road and therefore I don’t have a winch. But...I see a lot of pristine Jeeps out there with winches. Do people equip their onroad Jeeps that completely?
If you saw my jeep somewhere you might think that it doesn't go offroad because its always clean. However I've needed my winch multiple times already... Just because the jeep is clean doesn't make it a mall crawler.

However.... a jeep on 26's has no need for a winch. That I find stupid.

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I have one installed even though it's mostly on road daly driver, but, I have used it off road. Better to have it if you need it!

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual; 2008 Ford F450; 2003 Porsche Boxster S
Vehicle Showcase
You're asking why people that don't go off road spend the extra money to have a winch on their bumper. Why did you by a Rubicon for 100% on road travel? They probably have a winch for the same reason.

Sponsored

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I installed a winch on my TJ for a couple of years, and only had occasion to use it twice- helped a full-size Humvee buried in mud, and righted my neighbor's tree after a storm.

I'm trying to keep my JLR as light as possible (well, except for the 37" tires), so no winch on this one. Hopefully, I never come to regret that decision (and my decision to delete the spare)! We drive through a lot of trees when we offroad, so I have a lot of faint "pinstriping." I generally keep her very clean- but if you examine the paint closely it tells the tale of time spent off the beaten track!

My wish is that FCA (or someone aftermarket) would make a plastic version of the JLR front bumper (like mine)- but in the stubby configuration! Again, to save on weight...

littlecaesar

First Name
Ernesto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I've seen more than a few $50K+ Wranglers with crappy harbor freight winches on them. You know these drivers don't have straps, blocks, or shackles on board and have no clue about pretensioning or actually using these winches.

Too bad really, because winches are more of a self-reliance and preparedness thing than a hardcore off road upgrade like lockers and lifts.

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I'm gonna turn the question around...what can i put on my mall crawler that's more useful than a winch?
May I introduce my new bumper addition when I park by the Atlantic....

jeepbumper.jpg

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm gonna turn the question around...what can i put on my mall crawler that's more useful than a winch?

I put some RockHard step rock rails on that keep the shopping carts and car doors off the side of my delicate aluminum doors. Seems to be working.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Could always go this route for less $. I also see vehicles around here with hi-lift jacks and no hi-lift jacking points...

Sponsored