Sponsored

Winches on Mall Crawlers?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I concider myself a JEEP purest. A dirty rig and winch are a must. A clean rig is perversion
noun
  1. 1.
    the alteration of something from its original course, meaning, or state to a distortion or corruption of what was first intended
apache canyon.jpeg
Love your Jeep Ben, simple but so purposeful, badass, and a 2dr FTW!!!

C0mm0n773

First Name
Enrique
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Oscar Mike Edition
People should worry about their own things instead of what others have. I never understood why people care about things that arenā€™t theirs. If they bought it leave em alone if someone is a noob help em out. If theyā€™re a mall drawer or rock crawler donā€™t matter yā€™all both love Jeeps enough to make it your own. Leave it at that.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Unless it has something with more range than your shotgun, like one of those AR's with a scope?
Turkey load! šŸ¦ƒ

Just kidding. I am a gun owner myself. 10mm glock, 270 model 70, 12 gauge remmington, and a .22 savage. I guess I am fucked tho. My 270 is bolt action and has a ridiculous recoil, the glock has the recoil of the 270, the shotgun I guess has no range, and the 22, well not only is it 22 but also bolt action.

you guys are watching way too many movies tho. If you need a Rambo in the militia count me in, Ill go with my hunting bow. Ive been growing a covid belly and everything, I feel ready to join.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
People should worry about their own things instead of what others have. I never understood why people care about things that arenā€™t theirs. If they bought it leave em alone if someone is a noob help em out. If theyā€™re a mall drawer or rock crawler donā€™t matter yā€™all both love Jeeps enough to make it your own. Leave it at that.
This^^^^^^^
I love this forum, 99% of the folks are great, Iā€™ve made friends and learned a s**t ton of stuff. But the one negative in here is the keystroke tough guys that judge people. One kid posted a Jeep with an angry grill and they verbally beat him down so bad I never saw him again. Called his Jeep an abomination. Or if I spend a grand on a Top Lift Pro thereā€™s always the one guy that laughs at you because he built some crap out of wood for 40 bucks. Donā€™t be jealous because I can afford it.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Turkey load! šŸ¦ƒ

Just kidding. I am a gun owner myself. 10mm glock, 270 model 70, 12 gauge remmington, and a .22 savage. I guess I am fucked tho. My 270 is bolt action and has a ridiculous recoil, the glock has the recoil of the 270, the shotgun I guess has no range, and the 22, well not only is it 22 but also bolt action.

you guys are watching way too many movies tho. If you need a Rambo in the militia count me in, Ill go with my hunting bow. Ive been growing a covid belly and everything, I feel ready to join.
My point was more that not all firearms are just for home defense or hunting. Some are just for fun. Some would be preferred in certain defensive situations but thatā€™s not the reason I own them. The mosin nagant is probably the last gun Iā€™d grab out of the safe for self defense or long range accuracy or hunting, but itā€™s still fun to go out and shoot. The lever action 44 mag I guess could work for home defense, but my ears are ringing and my vision is blurred just thinking about firing that thing in a hallway. Itā€™s the same reason I disagree with the idea that the 12 gauge is the ultimate home defense weapon. Fire that thing in your house, fresh out of bed, in the dark, and you are deaf, blind, and disoriented. If I hear a bump in the night I usually just grab my carry pistol (Glock 26). 9mm doesnā€™t kick much, isnā€™t too loud, minimal flash, I carry and shoot it the most so thereā€™s muscle memory ingrained, and I usually have a 21 round mag in it next to the bed. There are many reasons to own firearms, and none of mine are for some militia fantasy. It is always better to have and not need than need and not have.

TheConquerorWorm

First Name
Rusty S.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, ordered ('21 JLUR)
Occupation
Trouble Maker
But the one negative in here is the keystroke tough guys that judge people.
you just described a good segment of the internet posting population. We used to get picked on in person and it built resilience. Go to your dad crying (and if he was a good one) he explained that some people are jerks and had you hand him a wrench. Weā€™ve lost some of that.

id suggest we all try to be ā€œgood internet dadsā€ and find ways to support new/young guys. The jerks will always be there trying to piss in your Cheerios.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
We all buy vehicles for many reasons, and one of those is the styling. Not all Corvette owners drive around at 150mph, not all truck owners tow or haul stuff, not all mini-van owners have 6 kids in the back.

I bought a Wrangler because I needed to be able to haul and secure musical equipment, but I also like the rugged look over a standard SUV, and I love to customize my vehicles to my taste and personality.

Without the "mall-crawler" buyers, the demand would be too low for Stellantis to justify keeping the line.

Can't we all just be wrangler owners and not divide ourselves into demeaning groups?

Evo8

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
foxbody / m3 / civic si / tacoma / yj / jl
I really havent seen anyone here throwing shade at anyone for having a winch because they use it, or might need to use it...even if it's for tugging shrubs or whatever.

However...

I see people at the range with an AR fully tricked with laser, optics, lights, bipod, heavy barrel, tactical coffee holder etc etc, who ALWAYS wear camo, but never served, never hunt, and never fire outside 150 yds...

There's (in my opinion) a major difference between a casual or occasional user, or even someone who's prepared for a remote possibility, and a poser.

The difference falls where someone is asking "what's cool?"

BTW...I'm a 71 year old former Marine, and have been driving Jeeps since 1969. I also have a 10/22 and 20 and 12 ga Mossbergs....just in case.
AGREED and Semper Fi brother!

Sponsored

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
I had a warn 9.5ti winch on my TJ and I USED that thing. My rig was washed, and looked good - but had it's battle scars from off-roading on everything from rocks to forest service roads.

When I get my JL, there will be a winch. I'm a little older/wiser now, so I hope I don't have to use it as much, but I'll tell ya - it's better to have it and be able to use it rather than wishing you had it

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
The lever action 44 mag I guess could work for home defense, but my ears are ringing and my vision is blurred just thinking about firing that thing in a hallway. Itā€™s the same reason I disagree with the idea that the 12 gauge is the ultimate home defense weapon. Fire that thing in your house, fresh out of bed, in the dark, and you are deaf, blind, and disoriented...
Just about any gun is terrible to shoot inside a enclosed space. My first choice, something I routinely practice with for the very unlikely situation of a home invasion. Is my suppressed .300 blackout SBR. But it's fun as hell to put some rounds through, unfortunately it's extremely expensive these days...

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Just about any gun is terrible to shoot inside a enclosed space. My first choice, something I routinely practice with for the very unlikely situation of a home invasion. Is my suppressed .300 blackout SBR. But it's fun as hell to put some rounds through, unfortunately it's extremely expensive these days...
That's actually great to hear, if a bullet was a million dollars there would be less shootings. šŸ‘€

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.