Winches on Mall Crawlers?

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Notice how everything is “tacticool” these days😏, sunglasses, flashlights, skivvies, etc., not to mention the tacticool rifles that are black and have assorted crap hung on pic rails that doubles the weight of the poodle shooter. Cracks me up😊! Definitely not enough chlorine in the gene pool.
Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I concider myself a JEEP purest. A dirty rig and winch are a must. A clean rig is perversion
noun
  1. 1.
    the alteration of something from its original course, meaning, or state to a distortion or corruption of what was first intended
Jeep Wrangler JL Winches on Mall Crawlers? apache canyon

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Notice how everything is “tacticool” these days😏, sunglasses, flashlights, skivvies, etc., not to mention the tacticool rifles that are black and have assorted crap hung on pic rails that doubles the weight of the poodle shooter. Cracks me up😊! Definitely not enough chlorine in the gene pool.
I swear to god, I saw a reference to a "tactical bathrobe" in a book recently. When I was coming up, the rule was, if you don't walk the walk, you best not talk the talk, because you WILL get called on it. Nowadays the boys dont understand that dressing the part and toting the gear will never ever make you a serious badass. As BB King said in another context, "if you have to tell them who you are, you aint".

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...

Yeah, they aren't a mans man like you. They don't understand you need a big bore magnum to blow the hell out of something. Marksmanship is for pussies. And technology is soooo over rated too. What kind of dumbass would have something as useless as a light on a gun. Real men shoot big holes in stuff in the dark... Just like my great grandaddy did.

... and I guess it is appropriate that someone from Kentucky would see the need for more chlorine in the gene pool. 🤔

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Look at the bright side, if the next owner is a wheeler the winch is already there. Many on this post have made the point, wheel when they can and clean up the rig when done which IMO helps keeps things from failing prematurely.

Winches like many other survival things in the off road world are such that you hardly ever need them until you need them and then you really need them so you want them to really work.

With a 5000 lb. rig loaded with gear stuck in the muck I want my winch to pull my A** out even if I only needed it once it is money well spent.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I noticed the OP lives in Phoenix, which is a great city, but one that tends to be on the warmer side. Ask someone from Salt Lake, Denver or a cold weather state ... they have likely used their winch to get their neighbour unstuck so that they can get to work.
You make a good point except...

In post #61 of this thread I mentioned that, before Phoenix, I lived at elevation in the Colorado Rockies for 20 years. 19 feet of snow a year and I only once did I have to pull a family vehicle out of the snow (in our driveway). I used a tow rope.

All of that said, I'm certainly not anti-winch. In the initial post to this thread I simply asked if winches were considered de riguer for Jeeps that never go offroad. I've had more than a few built-up Jeeps, never drove off road, and wondered if even people like me added winches to their Jeeps. I did not mean to unleash a flurry of pushback from true off-roaders. I get it. off-roaders need, or more likely, want, the security of a winch.

BTW, you live in a great city - been there.

Last edited:

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Yeah, they aren't a mans man like you. They don't understand you need a big bore magnum to blow the hell out of something. Marksmanship is for pussies. And technology is soooo over rated too. What kind of dumbass would have something as useless as a light on a gun. Real men shoot big holes in stuff in the dark... Just like my great grandaddy did.

... and I guess it is appropriate that someone from Kentucky would see the need for more chlorine in the gene pool. 🤔
Nothing wrong with a light, if you might have to use a weapon in the dark. I would have to say, though, that an AR is a crap home security piece, and putting a light, a laser, and scope on it makes it worse for that, not better. And, if it's not for home security, what IS it for?
Jeep Wrangler JL Winches on Mall Crawlers? mossber

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I'm wondering- what people say about Jeeps with winches that never go offroad, do they say the same thing about vehicles with snorkels?
If you are asking about snorkels on exclusively on-road Jeeps.......Oh my God - YES.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Nothing wrong with a light, if you might have to use a weapon in the dark. I would have to say, though, that an AR is a crap home security piece, and putting a light, a laser, and scope on it makes it worse for that, not better. And, if it's not for home security, what IS it for?
mossberg.jpg
Fun? Target shooting? Because this is America and what I own is none of your business? Property protection? We don't all live in apartments or track houses. I wouldn't walk the back 40 in the event of a threat with a shotgun, give up too much range. If I here a window break or someone beating down my door in the middle of the night I likely would. The right tool for the right job. Of course an AR pistol is much more maneuverable than your shotgun, has less recoil, and has 5 times the capacity so long as you live somewhere where over penetration isn't an issue.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
If you are asking about snorkels on exclusively on-road Jeeps.......Oh my God - YES.
I dunno about Phoenix, but...when I lived in Tucson there were a lot of places right downtown where you might need a snorkel the day it rained.

Sponsored

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
The whole forum is dedicated to Jeeps which are by definition “tacticool”.
btw...im not defending that horrible coffee mug....👀

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Fun? Target shooting? Because this is America and what I own is none of your business? Property protection? We don't all live in apartments or track houses. I wouldn't walk the back 40 in the event of a threat with a shotgun, give up too much range. If I here a window break or someone beating down my door in the middle of the night I likely would. The right tool for the right job. Of course an AR pistol is much more maneuverable than your shotgun, has less recoil, and has 5 times the capacity so long as you live somewhere where over penetration isn't an issue.
Where I live my nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away, and anything I hear or see that I don't like, I can legally shoot because it will be on my land. However, if it's outside the range of my shotgun, it's not much threat to me anyway.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Where I live my nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away, and anything I hear or see that I don't like, I can legally shoot because it will be on my land. However, if it's outside the range of my shotgun, it's not much threat to me anyway.
Unless it has something with more range than your shotgun, like one of those AR's with a scope?

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
Jeep Wrangler JL Winches on Mall Crawlers? mossber

Lessee, I've taken deer, hog, turkey with my M4. So hunting.

And the rest of that is, like, just your opinion, man..

the_big_lebowski_.jpg

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
So long as those opinions are given with supporting info, like "I prefer the look and maneuverability of a 2 door", "I went 4 door because it climbs steep ledges better and I have friends", "I have a winch just in case", etc it's still informative to those seeking to learn from others experience.
Sponsored