First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
On the extremely rare occasions when I wash my Jeep, it looks pristine. It's a relatively new vehicle after all... I also have a winch. So?
Don't worry, if your Jeep is only washed on extremely rare occasions, and you don't live in AZ, it couldn't have been you. :)

[sorry for the confusion]
Sponsored

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
So if Offroad Jeepers need to go work/store they take a different vehicle? 😀
NAh we don't but mine is pristine... LoL or at least I like to think so.... If you didn't see all the rock rash on my wheels or underneath or on the bumpers you would think it was a pristine Jeep....

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I agree. And yeah probably lots of things I havent seen lol. Just meant it isnt common.

My point is, buying a hi-lift for the sole purpose to use as a winch is not a good idea as there are better options. If you dont have metal bumpers and rock sliders, then what is the point of carrying a hi lift?. it just becomes an impractical, heavy and bulky tool.
The post below your last one says a lot. I never said anywhere to buy one to use only as a winch, another dude was under the mistaken impression that it could only be used as a jack. That's simply not true as you're seeing now.

Anyway, this horse has been beaten to death. However you do you, just be safe, tread lightly and have a good time.

Cheers!

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
With the hook attachment you can lift at the tire. I find the hi lift more useful in most recovery situations. Out in the rocks you are usually stuck because you are hung up on a dif, axle bracket, or high centered. The last thing I want to do is hook up the winch and rip my jeep off whatever it's hung up on. Jack it up, stack a rock or 2, and drive out unscathed. For lose surfaces like snow, mud, or sand, I will try the traction mats first. Maybe it's from years of wheeling without a winch, but I take pride in driving the trails not dragging my rig through with the winch. Some situations the winch is the go to option, but I definitely wouldn't say the hi lift isn't more versatile. Jack with it, clamp with it, pull with it, use the handle to sleeve a bent tie rod, use it to roll a flopped jeep back over. I've done all of these things, all with a ~$100 recovery tool.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I noticed the OP lives in Phoenix, which is a great city, but one that tends to be on the warmer side. Ask someone from Salt Lake, Denver or a cold weather state ... they have likely used their winch to get their neighbour unstuck so that they can get to work.

Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I'm unlikely to ever own a winch but I do offroad frequently. My Jeep is never pristine so there are always signs somewhere that I at least drive it on dirt roads. If I did spend a lot of time cleaning it, I would just get it dirty again a month later.

I'm wondering- what people say about Jeeps with winches that never go offroad, do they say the same thing about vehicles with snorkels?

Yondu_JLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I mean like what others have said....it's really about what makes you happy. Want a winch because it looks cool? Go for it. Want a set of mud tires because they look aggressive? Sure. I get function over form and vice versa but at the end of the day, it's your money and your Jeep, so make it YOURS.

.....just don't throw a set of chrome 24x12s on it and an angry grille and you'll be accepted by most jeepers 🤣.

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
Good observation, but don't be so quick to judge my friend.

My Jeep is very pristine and clean (most days), I baby her.

I designed a Winch set up where I can rotate my winch from the Front to Back, depending on which way I need to pull.

To the average person who sees my Jeep on a daily basis I probably fit the stereotype you describe. What they don't know is I do this every weekend.....

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
ITactical coffee holder LOL. They havent served but they are "The militia" training to save us from baby eating pedophiles.
Jeep Wrangler JL Winches on Mall Crawlers? 1618542376499

Sponsored

jdeolivares

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
just so you know just because it looks like a on the road Jeep with a winch does not mean it is never taken off road. I finished the Rubicon Trail, drove home from California to Michigan, The day after I got home, spend about 20 hours cleaning and detailing it, then on the third day, entered it into a Car show and won best in class.

It looked like this a few days before the show when we were wheeling in Wyoming.

Wow! That is a whole lot of sticky mud. I like they way it litters the roof and hood?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Good observation, but don't be so quick to judge my friend.

My Jeep is very pristine and clean (most days), I baby her.

I designed a Winch set up where I can rotate my winch from the Front to Back, depending on which way I need to pull.

To the average person who sees my Jeep on a daily basis I probably fit the stereotype you describe. What they don't know is I do this every weekend.....

A mall crawler judging. Mall crawlers have no shame.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Sooo...I'm gonna need your address and hours of operation for detailing.
Just know that my detailing is done under protest, hate and a splash of coffee and some cursing. Customer service sucks but at least I use quality product and have an eye for detail.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Just know that my detailing is done under protest, hate and a splash of coffee and some cursing. Customer service sucks but at least I use quality product and have an eye for detail.
I'm still working in the trades and commuting, my detailing is done by handing the local mobile detailing guy cash. When we were shut down for 5 weeks when covid started I did a full polish and ceramic coat on my truck but I'd rather spend my time getting them dirty if I'm not at work.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Mine is two years old, and has never been washed. I do pull it out of the garage if a heavy rain is forecast.
Jeep Wrangler JL Winches on Mall Crawlers? Duckies.JPG
Sponsored