Winches on Mall Crawlers?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Where are you that this is a public road? Middle-Earth?
The Rubicon trail is an unmaintained County road. Most trails out west are forest service roads. Your idea of a public road and the reality are vastly different.
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I must say I am amused by Jeeps with hi-lift jacks mounted on their hoods, but without the bumpers to actually use them.
A high lift doesn't need a steel bumper to act as a winch.

In saying that, I've never been a fan of carrying them on the outside in the elements outside of a place like California.

Reactions: DHW

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney

In saying that, I've never been a fan of carrying them on the outside in the elements outside of a place like California.
I have never seen that. I've used a manual hand winch before that operates the exact same way, but did not know hi-lift's could do that.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper

Using a hi lift as a winch is the most unpractical thing in the world. Theyre huge, bulky, heavy and dangerous. Not to mention it is gonna take a century to winch your jeep with one of these. I have never seen anyone use a hi lift as a winch, even though it is advertised all over youtube.

there are better options out there to be used as an emergency winch. A hi lift should be used for its primary purpose only. Sure it might act as a winch, but this should be extreme last option.

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Using a hi lift as a winch is the most unpractical thing in the world. Theyre huge, bulky, heavy and dangerous. Not to mention it is gonna take a century to winch your jeep with one of these. I have never seen anyone use a hi lift as a winch, even though it is advertised all over youtube.
I've seen it. Clunky, yes. Get you out of a tight spot, most definitely. Not all offroading is done in wide open rocky terrain and sometimes this is your only option, especially in a forested area.
I imagine there are a lot of things you haven't seen, doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I have never seen that. I've used a manual hand winch before that operates the exact same way, but did not know hi-lift's could do that.
Ya, a lot of people don't realize a Hi Lift's full capabilities. Whether someone thinks it's impractical or not, it can get you out of a crappy situation for sure.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
I agree.

the range is a circus my friend. Tactical coffee holder LOL. They havent served but they are "The militia" training to save us from baby eating pedophiles.
I dont go anymore. Put a minor-league range out behind the former sheep pasture. Not real long, but I cant see real far anymore anyhow.

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I see a lot of pristine Jeeps out there with winches. Do people equip their onroad Jeeps that completely?
On the extremely rare occasions when I wash my Jeep, it looks pristine. It's a relatively new vehicle after all... I also have a winch. So?

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I've seen it. Clunky, yes. Get you out of a tight spot, most definitely. Not all offroading is done in wide open rocky terrain and sometimes this is your only option, especially in a forested area.
I imagine there are a lot of things you haven't seen, doesn't mean it doesn't work.
I agree. And yeah probably lots of things I havent seen lol. Just meant it isnt common.

My point is, buying a hi-lift for the sole purpose to use as a winch is not a good idea as there are better options. If you dont have metal bumpers and rock sliders, then what is the point of carrying a hi lift?. it just becomes an impractical, heavy and bulky tool.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I agree. And yeah probably lots of things I havent seen lol. Just meant it isnt common.

My point is, buying a hi-lift for the sole purpose to use as a winch is not a good idea as there are better options. If you dont have metal bumpers and rock sliders, then what is the point of carrying a hi lift?. it just becomes an impractical, heavy and bulky tool.
With the hook attachment you can lift at the tire. I find the hi lift more useful in most recovery situations. Out in the rocks you are usually stuck because you are hung up on a dif, axle bracket, or high centered. The last thing I want to do is hook up the winch and rip my jeep off whatever it's hung up on. Jack it up, stack a rock or 2, and drive out unscathed. For lose surfaces like snow, mud, or sand, I will try the traction mats first. Maybe it's from years of wheeling without a winch, but I take pride in driving the trails not dragging my rig through with the winch. Some situations the winch is the go to option, but I definitely wouldn't say the hi lift isn't more versatile. Jack with it, clamp with it, pull with it, use the handle to sleeve a bent tie rod, use it to roll a flopped jeep back over. I've done all of these things, all with a ~$100 recovery tool.
Sponsored