Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
just so you know just because it looks like a on the road Jeep with a winch does not mean it is never taken off road. I finished the Rubicon Trail, drove home from California to Michigan, The day after I got home, spend about 20 hours cleaning and detailing it, then on the third day, entered it into a Car show and won best in class.

Jeep Wrangler JL Winches on Mall Crawlers? 1618483618544

It looked like this a few days before the show when we were wheeling in Wyoming.

Jeep Wrangler JL Winches on Mall Crawlers? 1618483788775
Sponsored

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
Whether for yourself or to help someone else out. I see know reason to get a winch if one wants. Kinda like a firearm, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I have one and don't get to go off-road near as much as I would like because I live in the middle of a major city and have a job requiring rather extended time at the office. But I have to agree with all the "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" comments.

Plus, I use mine whenever I can for random stuff like pulling a heavy refrigerator out of a garage, or using a pulley and strap to lift logs straight up so we can back a truck under them for easy loading.

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2-Dr
just so you know just because it looks like a on the road Jeep with a winch does not mean it is never taken off road. I finished the Rubicon Trail, drove home from California to Michigan, The day after I got home, spend about 20 hours cleaning and detailing it, then on the third day, entered it into a Car show and won best in class.

It looked like this a few days before the show when we were wheeling in Wyoming.

Sooo...I'm gonna need your address and hours of operation for detailing.

Guelerct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
It's kind of like buying a track ready sports car and just driving it around town. I say if it makes you happy go for it!

Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
It's kind of like buying a track ready sports car and just driving it around town. I say if it makes you happy go for it!
It's like buying an airplane and only flying to the next town over for $100 hamburger dates.

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
It's already been said, but my winch is definitely more of an insurance policy. I'm a weekend warrior with not enough free weekends and I have a winch because I prefer to go off-road by myself or with just one other rig at most. My winch was so much cheaper than the potential $2,000+ recovery service cost...

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2-Dr
There are several pieces of equipment from winches to hi-lift jacks, fire extinguishers, etc. that most folks will never use or may not even know how to use. BUT, they're cool to have if you ever need them.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Sometimes its best to have it and not need it vs. needing it and not having it.
Only issue with this is if you have it, never use it and never clean and lube it than it will not work when you actually need it. The one down side to a bumper ornament.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Jeep Wrangler JL Winches on Mall Crawlers? 20210320_093416

Keeping the Jeep looking pristine from the rockers up is easy (although our high speed desert runs have left some sand blasting on the rear flares), but if you can't see a single witness mark underneath, from the difs, control arm brackets, skids, or frame contacting rocks it's probably a mall crawler.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
There are several pieces of equipment from winches to hi-lift jacks, fire extinguishers, etc. that most folks will never use or may not even know how to use. BUT, they're cool to have if you ever need them.
I must say I am amused by Jeeps with hi-lift jacks mounted on their hoods, but without the bumpers to actually use them.

huyfishin

First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.huyfishin.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Automotive Paint Protection Film Installer and Glass tinter
I can see having a winch if you’re Jeep is stuck but as far as downed trees, someone else stuck or pulling out bushes, can’t you just rope/chain and pull the obstacle/vehicle with your Jeep’s hooks?
100% all u need is a rope and chain to pull others out.

i've been pulled out once and it would have been nice to do it myself haha

Silverblkrilla

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have a portable winch that mounts to trailer hitches. I like it that way so I can use it on multiple places on multiple vehicles and trailers. I struggled finding a bumper I liked without a winch cut out so I made a winch cover plate. I do keep a hi lift and rope with me as well.

Jeep Wrangler JL Winches on Mall Crawlers? 15907955-1E7D-4455-AFA1-0C2D7014405C

227FF913-57E9-4E0F-B4E2-46800A549189.jpeg

E32D48C5-06E1-4B18-AF8D-BB8767CC04F1.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
How do you know they dont offroad? You dont have to scratch and destroy your Jeep to go offroad.... My Jeep looks pristine and I offroad.
I would think that going hardcore enough to need a winch goes hand-in-hand with being willing to accept some cosmetic damage. I can't imagine that many of those pristine Jeeps belong to people who have gone offroading, and somehow dodged every bullet that the trail threw at them. As I said, there is nothing wrong with personalizing your Jeep. I have modified mine, and I'm an unapologetic street-only owner.
Sponsored