Winches on Mall Crawlers?

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I go off roading a bit and I have a winch. But so far I have only pulled a lawnmower out of a ditch. I don’t know whether to be proud that my Tank goes that well or sad that I don’t push it hard enough to need the winch.
Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
This rolled around in my FB memories today from 2012. Tornado rolled through KS half a block North of our house. Took the wife's JK out to clear the trees from the road. A winch would have been nice.

412240_3086755803004_1323434062_o.jpg

LowBama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver JL
Occupation
Engineer
Its America 99% of what we have is about what we want as opposed to what we really need. I say if you can afford it do it. Don’t worry about what others think, person on street doesn’t know how often you go off road. I bought one for the look and have used it to move logs and trees multiple times just because it was easy.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
I don't get the feeling there is a standard to it. I bet there are more people who go off road without a winch than people who only drive on road with a winch.

Like all of the threads that say..."I don't plan to go off road but how much lift do I need to clear 37's?"

That's rampant.
When I lived in Tucson and did a lot of offroad travel, a 4x4 with no brush marks was a dead giveaway for a drugstore cowboy. "All hat and no cattle"

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I use my Wrangler 100% on road and therefore I don’t have a winch. But...I see a lot of pristine Jeeps out there with winches. Do people equip their onroad Jeeps that completely?
How do you know they dont offroad? You dont have to scratch and destroy your Jeep to go offroad.... My Jeep looks pristine and I offroad.

I am sure some people buy them for the looks. A complete waste of money in my opinion. You can always buy a really cheap one and not wire it in I guess.

But I also never understood why people build a wrangler for offroading but never take it off the beaten path. It is as if I was riding a full suspension mountain bike with mountain bike pedals and wearing mtb gear on the road. Not only does it look silly af but it is also hugely impractical. Why the hell would you put almost 100lbs of weight on your front bumper if never using it?

To each their own I guess. enjoy your Jeep.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
That‘s a perfectly placed drone.
Everyone around the internets kind of agrees it was staged. Still something I've thought about a time or 40. :LOL:

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
I intend to put one on my Jeep, don’t think I will ever need it on marked forest roads. But it looks cool and you never know.
Turns out winches are even better at dragging a downed tree off the trail than they are at skidding a mired Jeep out of a bad spot.

Last edited:

Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Well, I had a buddy. He put a winch on his JK in Houston ...... he didn’t intend to use it..... got it just ”in case”.... then some of the floods came and he used his winch to get a few vehicles pulled out of high water..... he was just trying to help out others In a time of need.
sounds like some "fishing"

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I guess with a couple of pulleys mounted on a frame or in the garage, a winch could be used to remove the hardtop. Just don't be that guy with a 2,500 lb winch mounted to the bumper.

There is a JK Wrangler I see everyday parked a suburban drive way, all set up for overlanding, tent awning, brand new rotopaks, highlift jack etc. All for show. Around here, expensive accessories seem to show nothing more than the fact that you have them.

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
I go off roading a bit and I have a winch. But so far I have only pulled a lawnmower out of a ditch. I don’t know whether to be proud that my Tank goes that well or sad that I don’t push it hard enough to need the winch.

Eh, philosophical approach. I look at my winch like a spare tire. If I do everything right, I won't need it... usually. One mans pushing it is another mans fuc*kup... Jeep is a means to get me where I want to be. Others, the road is the destination.
Sponsored