Winches on Mall Crawlers?

Jeepileptic

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 Fisher-Price Jeep Frozen Edition
Who cares if someone buys a winch just for looks? I respect anyone who spends their hard earned money on their Jeep (for whatever they want). Silver lining is that it makes me not feel so bad when I buy something that is questionably needed for mine. :giggle:

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
what a pair of jerks.
(if that was for real,) J**p guy was a jerk for leaving the first jerks car where it would block other people. least he could have done would have been to drag it onto a center divider somewhere...

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Got the winch just in case, have yet to use it off road but have used it to help get a dead car up a trailer, pulled out a bunch of old shrubs. Had an old Ramsey on my CJ 5 and used it a bit on the trail so I've got a feeling it's going to get some "real" use in the future :)
Or I can make some side money pulling shrubs :)

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Couple things I would like to say.

When I take the Jeep off roading or up to the mountain snow, I get a full detail inside and out within two days of returning. A nice local guy who comes to my Busienss and also does my company cars, takes care of everything. I pay him about $250 for the detail. My car might look prestine at Albertsons parking lot Monday night but the day prior was covered in mud/dirt/snow from the weekend trip.

I need a winch. Just got back from a 9 day camping trip and would have continued on some lines both mud and snow situations had I had a winch. I also performed my first recovery but only used the recovery rope.

The Jeep still has the roof top tent and awning attached to it as of this second. Both look spotless because the car wash guy cleaned those as well.

Lots of people just want the look, but I’m sure other Jeepers locally see my Sahara sparkling clean with a fresh wax, loaded with “overlanding” gear and think I’m a poser, but I’m cool with that :) it’s all about my adventurers with my wife and our experiences together. Just my two cents for what it’s worth.
Jeep Wrangler JL Winches on Mall Crawlers? C8C7C312-FC4F-47B3-9E40-4A4AA85E817A
Jeep Wrangler JL Winches on Mall Crawlers? 68221E17-7D58-46ED-99AE-9E350C24BE24
Jeep Wrangler JL Winches on Mall Crawlers? CEF73976-C771-498B-A68A-F13ADAA768AA
Jeep Wrangler JL Winches on Mall Crawlers? 05B92DB1-05D8-4C53-8906-F08EC40F499F

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
I use my Wrangler 100% on road and therefore I don’t have a winch. But...I see a lot of pristine Jeeps out there with winches. Do people equip their onroad Jeeps that completely?
yes how else would you pull your shopping cart to your jeep

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
It's no different than fwd 'sports' cars with massive wings for downforce on the wrong wheels. Or splitters and canards for more downforce at highway speeds. Or same cars with tow hooks for 'track use'. Or drilled/slotted rotors. Or carbon fiber hoods with heat extraction vents. Or detachable steering wheels. Or 3-point harness seat belts. Or... nevermind, I could go on and on. Point is these cars will probably never see a track and not benefit from any of these mods driving in LA traffic. All about image.

I personally think it's your car/jeep do what you want, but many times it looks like you are trying too hard and a poser. And don't get me started with the bro-dozer scene!

Sponsored

tehfrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4XE 20th
I intend to put one on my Jeep, don’t think I will ever need it on marked forest roads. But it looks cool and you never know.
I’ve had to winch myself out half a dozen times on marked forest roads since I installed my winch a few months ago. It was solo snow wheeling at night, but still.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I would not let the 'pristine look' fool you...I have always kept my off road rigs in good shape, often visiting my local body shop for various 'trail rash' triage...As far as a winch goes, it is great for peace of mind-especially when off roading without other vehicles. Kinda of like weapons, never leave home without at least one...

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I can see having a winch if you’re Jeep is stuck but as far as downed trees, someone else stuck or pulling out bushes, can’t you just rope/chain and pull the obstacle/vehicle with your Jeep’s hooks?
Sponsored