Winch Wire Routing?

aham23

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Anyone got a better idea how to run, hide, secure these wires. The power and ground running to the battery sorta drop down all the time.

21 JLUR with aftermarket steal bumper and Warn 10s.

See pics.

E67810B9-185A-4E7B-8740-E8D630C52D5E.jpeg

4DCBBBF8-B640-4482-8BF5-786AD0521CD7.jpeg

B3195279-FE3A-4393-ACD2-9B7AE18BF9DC.jpeg
Sponsored

KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I used some snips and cut out a few of the plastic vents on the grill. I then ran the power wires up around the airbox to the battery. I wanted the wires up inside the frame rails and out of the way from any moving parts.

OP
OP
aham23

aham23

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Looks great. So you don’t have the spool of wires either. Seems like the way to go but damn that grill is a pain to get out. Especially with the winch installed.

KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It felt like putting a jigsaw puzzle together but it was worth it to me. I am super happy with it.

Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

My ACE bumper was too close to the grill to have the wires go out the back. It also sat lower so I would have probably had to cut through the actual plastic vs the grill part. Cutting the grill sounds like a good option, but then you will have to unhook everything if you ever want to take the grill off for repair work.

I ended up cutting a hole in the top and wiring them out the side of the cover. Then wrapped all the wires with black electrical tape. This way the winch tucks right up next to the grill and all the wires are together wrapped up in the tape so it does not look as messy.

OP
OP
aham23

aham23

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
My ACE bumper was too close to the grill to have the wires go out the back. It also sat lower so I would have probably had to cut through the actual plastic vs the grill part. Cutting the grill sounds like a good option, but then you will have to unhook everything if you ever want to take the grill off for repair work.

I ended up cutting a hole in the top and wiring them out the side of the cover. Then wrapped all the wires with black electrical tape. This way the winch tucks right up next to the grill and all the wires are together wrapped up in the tape so it does not look as messy.
Would love a picture when you have time.

pitsqrd

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited, 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland, 1997 Porsche 993, 1978 911 SC 3.6 Restomod, 2017 F150, XLT
Occupation
Biz Dev
Vehicle Showcase
Here are a few pics of my Warn VR12 install and wiring with a RR Full Width HD bumper. The holes in the winch plate push the VR12 very close to the grill so I took the control box apart, loosened the cable attach points and "adjusted" the cables so they exited the back of the control box in a vertically stacked manner to reduce the space (essentially to the width of 1 cable) required to get them between the back of the winch and the grill.

3rd & 4th pic shows the routing of the + and - cables under the radiator, then in btwn the fender liner and the frame and up through a gap in front of the battery (5th pic)

Hope this helps

Winch wiring 1.jpg

Winch wiring 2.jpg

Winch wiring 3.jpg

Winch wiring 4.jpg

Winch wiring 5.jpg

OP
OP
aham23

aham23

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Big help. Thanks guys.

I had mine installed by my shop and at first figured it was normal routing. But I hate it as is. I’ll likely clean it up myself.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Would love a picture when you have time.
Not really proud of the work. I figured that I was going to put the nice Warn winch cover on it. I bought the cover and the cover looks great but will not fit the winch because the grill is pressed up against the back of it.

As you can see from the pics, I had zero other options and wanted to install it for a trip to Moab the next day. I plan on trying to figure out a way to make it look a bit better than electrical tape. I am very open to suggestions on cleaning this up.

The Positive wire and the ground are covered with wire loom so you don’t see the colors. I am happy with the wiring to the battery I took out the air box and ran the wire under the grill, above the frame rail, and then under the air box.
Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Wire Routing? E99074BB-7F83-47D5-BCEF-FED30E6CDE75
Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Wire Routing? 57567170-8E78-4F9B-91B0-FFA6592C88C1
Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Wire Routing? 875D212F-1447-4303-8577-48FEEC994589
Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Wire Routing? D1BC3C8E-DCA1-4491-A0C9-C087DEEBC0ED

Sponsored

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
Where my winch sits, it’s cables exit the winch just at the bottom of the grille. I placed them behind the grille facia, and pulled them up through the gap between the headlight and fender, under the air box, and then into the main shutoff relay. Cables are all hidden except for the relay and battery area. Nothing exposed to get damaged.

uS8Ythbl.jpg

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Wire Routing? mVU7ONal

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Wire Routing? skEIkS8l

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Wire Routing? RTpWESal

And no..........that is not a negative cable attached to the positive terminal. It’s another feed line to a 250 amp relay that feeds my accessory relay control center. The two pack of 1/0 gauge jumpers only came in red/ black.

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Wire Routing? R5K2etvl

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Here are a few pics of my Warn VR12 install and wiring with a RR Full Width HD bumper. The holes in the winch plate push the VR12 very close to the grill so I took the control box apart, loosened the cable attach points and "adjusted" the cables so they exited the back of the control box in a vertically stacked manner to reduce the space (essentially to the width of 1 cable) required to get them between the back of the winch and the grill.

3rd & 4th pic shows the routing of the + and - cables under the radiator, then in btwn the fender liner and the frame and up through a gap in front of the battery (5th pic)

Hope this helps

Winch wiring 1.jpg

Winch wiring 2.jpg

Winch wiring 3.jpg

Winch wiring 4.jpg

Winch wiring 5.jpg
They took the easy route. I would not be happy with that either. Depending on where you live, those wires are really susceptible to getting caught on branches or pinched by rocks. Hard to tell from the picks but mine goes behind the grill and straight up to the right of the body mount.
This is looking at it from the bumper, it is adjacent to the frame rail and goes straight up. Nothing can snag it or allow it to get pinched.
Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Wire Routing? 01F72934-2E51-40DA-98B5-913537D84D0B

This is from the passenger side frame rail. For some reason the picture is turned sideways on here and I can’t rotate it. But you get the idea. It is behind the rail completely.
Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Wire Routing? D40E10FC-E5B1-4924-A50F-FA998CB70B52

bipock

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Where my winch sits, it’s cables exit the winch just at the bottom of the grille. I placed them behind the grille facia, and pulled them up through the gap between the headlight and fender, under the air box, and then into the main shutoff relay. Cables are all hidden except for the relay and battery area. Nothing exposed to get damaged.

And no..........that is not a negative cable attached to the positive terminal. It’s another feed line to a 250 amp relay that feeds my accessory relay control center. The two pack of 1/0 gauge jumpers only came in red/ black.

How do you like that winch on that bumper? I just installed bumper this weekend and am looking for a winch for fill in the gapping hole sitting there.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
How do you like that winch on that bumper? I just installed bumper this weekend and am looking for a winch for fill in the gapping hole sitting there.
It fits like a glove. Big PITA to mount the winch after the bumper is on though. The winch plate has an access hole under it to get to the mounting holes, but you need two elbows to easily reach them. It took a good hour to do just those 4 bolts with the loose nuts in the winch base. It would have been easier to use some kind of tape or tar to keep the nuts in place to help align them with the bolt coming up from the bottom since you can’t have hands on both at the same time. Definitely use Loc-tite on them so you don’t have to get in there again.
I also changed over to a closed loop thimble to keep the rope hanging out of the fair lead from getting degraded by the elements (I had to cut that length off after a couple years of sun and road salt), and to keep the hook hanging from the D-ring from rubbing through the powder coat on the bumper.

Cptbigdog

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl Rubicon
What size expandable sleeping did you use for the positive and negative.
Sponsored