Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Ok guys have a question, my next mod is coming very soon at it’s going to be a steel bumper versus the current plastic one my Sahara now sports with halogen fogs

This is the setup I am pretty much looking at

F271D8E7-DCD1-4793-8E0F-83D71978BD87.jpeg
2C33AED2-9A8F-4359-8BFC-C3FB62544EB8.jpeg

I will be forfeiting my halogen fogs for the light bar which is ok but my biggest dilemma is the winch, I honestly don’t rock crawl and don’t off road much at all except going to the beach’s here in south Texas and get off in the sand alittle so is a winch really necessary.

Buying a winch will add to the overall cost but in the scheme of things not a huge expense so cost is not really the issue, I honestly don’t want to have the slot for a winch and have nothing in it and yes I know that sounds pretty dam stupid to spend money on a winch just because I don’t want to look at a empty slot but I figured since the bumper is coming off that would be the best time to add the winch than putting it on then taking it off later to add a winch.

So what are everyone’s thoughts, and yes I have considered keeping my plastic bumper since I don’t get off road much as it has tow kooks and it’s pretty much my daily driver back and fourth in the concrete jungle I live so looking for everyone’s thoughts, ideas and suggestions

Here’s my Jeep as it sits currently

2439C649-ACB4-4461-9B2D-9FDC8519BB15.jpeg
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I’m of the opinion that if you don’t need it, don’t buy it. Use your money where you think you’ll get more value.

But, at the end of the day, it’s your Jeep and you should do what you like. :)

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
If your dead stuck on that bumper, then add the winch. I agree the blank hole looks terrible. Winch’s can come in handy even if you think you don’t need it.

There are many bumper options that do not have the winch opening and better yet keep the factory fog lights. Check out LOD.

Seanst34

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3018 Jeep JLUR 2.0 L 4 Cylinder Turbo on 37s with 2” Mopar Lift, Inginity QX60, and BMW R Nine T Scrambler
Vehicle Showcase
I’m a huge winch fan but I also wheel regularly. For that situation a winch is like insurance. You don’t want to use it but it’s nice to have if you need it. That said if you don’t plan on ever needing it I would pass. It adds weight to your front end you don’t need. Some aftermarket bumpers come with a cover for the pocket if not used. Heck, I run the stubby version of the OEM steel bumper with a warn low bull bar. I think it looks sharp and weighs a lot less than other after market options. Don’t get me started on the crappy rear OEM steel bumper though.

79047F08-9092-4FAD-898B-8B0B98523EC2.jpeg

Last edited:

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Do you want to be a balla or a stuck calla?

I detest winch bumpers without a winch in them but it’s not my Jeep. Winches are like condoms when youre single. You might not need it for a long stretch but when you do, you do and throwing caution to the wind can leave you in a bind

Brett

Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
If you're not offroading much, and a lot of sand recovery is moreso shovel and plank of wood rather than winch (at least in my experience), I'd save money and not do it, even if "only" saving 500 bucks or so.

MikeLewisMusic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2.0l Turbo/Automatic
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
A winch is completely useless...until you need it...then it is invaluable.

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Do you want to be a balla or a stuck calla?

I detest winch bumpers without a winch in them but it’s not my Jeep. Winches are like condoms when youre single. You might not need it for a long stretch but when you do, you do and throwing caution to the wind can leave you in a bind

Brett
I saw a bumper the other day that had a winch cutout and had a hook coming out the slot but there was no winch, so I thought does this person have the hook attached somehow for a tow point or trying to convince ppl he’s got a winch with the pretend setup

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I can see the points everyone is making like spending $$$ on other mods but to be very truthful after doing my lift with new tires and wheels there’s not a lot on the mod front that I can think of doing other than a rack on top for storage.

JoeBelt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I’m in the same boat as the OP. I’m not wealthy enough to completely thrash a 50k vehicle off road. Some people think nothing of leaving the top off in the rain or running tight trails letting tree branches ruin the paint because “it’s a Jeep”. I’m just not there yet.

I do plan on leaving the pavement, but will stick to roads and trails that I can ride without taking on damage - maybe 10% usage at most. Do I need a winch? I believe I do - it would ruin jeeping for the family if we had to abandon the vehicle in a mud puddle and hike miles out of the woods. Not to mention what recovery would probably cost. If someone can justify $1,500 on upgrading tires a winch shouldn’t be a hard sell if leaving the pavement. If you use it once it’s paid for itself.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with Sean, 400.00 is not bad for a winch. Plus it will look a lot better if you get a winch ready bumper. Also, you may not think your not going to do much off roading now, you never know later on you may get into it. It’s just a secure feeling having it regardless if you ever use it. I got one coming, I went with the quadratec q performance stealth winch, it’s 449.99.

Seanst34

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3018 Jeep JLUR 2.0 L 4 Cylinder Turbo on 37s with 2” Mopar Lift, Inginity QX60, and BMW R Nine T Scrambler
Vehicle Showcase
Of course the look of your Jeep is a personal opinion. My personal opinion is those OEM plastic bumpers are the ugliest most useless pieces of garbage. Wait until someone barley bumps into one of those plastic “bumpers” it will noticeably crease and show any contact. That’s what led me to pull them off both the front and rear of my JKUR. Not to mention a steel bumper comes in handy when someone rear ends your rig going 60 mph when your kids are in the back seat.

36A8EC90-F4F7-4180-BC41-CA9ED2CD1C12.jpeg

C2D2D7C7-9E2A-4638-8CF9-71E9D0BBC198.jpeg

17EF3807-01C7-449F-AFD2-892C61EC60A3.jpeg

Quadratec

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.quadratec.com
Vehicle(s)
CJ, YJ, XJ, TJ, JK, JL
I agree with Sean, 400.00 is not bad for a winch. Plus it will look a lot better if you get a winch ready bumper. Also, you may not think your not going to do much off roading now, you never know later on you may get into it. It’s just a secure feeling having it regardless if you ever use it. I got one coming, I went with the quadratec q performance stealth winch, it’s 449.99.
Great choice! I have this winch on my Wrangler and love it. Not a JL, I know, but the winch works & looks great - and it's fast! I also love the LED above the drum, the wireless capability, IP67 waterproof rating, and removable clutch handle that helps prevents drunken fools (Or friends) from unspooling your line.

DSC_2113-X3.jpg

-Rick
Sponsored