First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Looks good. I did 1” Tera spacer to compensate for sag.
it seems I was wrong and those scratches are common.

good call on avoiding the rain! That stuff is a mess!!
I have to say that some guys are a tough bunch. I had someone post a pic of one of my birds sitting on a gorilla (meme was supposed to be me since I said “I installed black gorilla nuts”. At the end of the day it’s all fun and games. Glad you hung in there. Bottom line is don’t sweat the small stuff. It’s a machine. It will break, someone will scratch it, dent it and so for. I get it these things are expensive but life is really short. We buy these to enjoy whichever way we please. Mine will never see rock crawling but I bought a Rubicon well, because I trade shit in faster than my shoes wear out. Always good to have resale value and on top of it, something people will want.

how much sag did yours have? You’d think the XR package and the 392 would be a little more beefed up but that doesn’t seem like it’s the case. I may leave mine be for now and if it settles more, I’ll address it then.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MesaAZGuy

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
when they firse came out, I, too thought the same & somehow, not even searching for this vehicle, came upon a video of a crash test: F**K me! them things are hella safe..but I prefer my jeep:
Yeah, but in reality highly doubtful someone will drive it into a wall at full speed. It’s designed to protect the occupant. That said, there will be injuries to left leg and possibly a brain bleed from G-forces. When I drive it, it always sees speeds of high 70’s to mid 80’s. I feel safe in it. Quite roomy. Even still, it’s her commuter car and we always use her dads car or Jeep otherwise.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
I have to say that some guys are a tough bunch. I had someone post a pic of one of my birds sitting on a gorilla (meme was supposed to be me since I said “I installed black gorilla nuts”. At the end of the day it’s all fun and games. Glad you hung in there. Bottom line is don’t sweat the small stuff. It’s a machine. It will break, someone will scratch it, dent it and so for. I get it these things are expensive but life is really short. We buy these to enjoy whichever way we please. Mine will never see rock crawling but I bought a Rubicon well, because I trade shit in faster than my shoes wear out. Always good to have resale value and on top of it, something people will want.

how much sag did yours have? You’d think the XR package and the 392 would be a little more beefed up but that doesn’t seem like it’s the case. I may leave mine be for now and if it settles more, I’ll address it then.
Good advice, thanks.

I am not exactly sure. I had the spacers put on at the same time rockers and winch were installed. The 1” may have been overkill, but I had them laying around from previous JL. I have read other posts where people stated .5”-.75” sag, and I didn’t want to lose any height - so on these went.

OP
OP
MesaAZGuy

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I think you should become a pain in your wife's ass. If she had chosen a good Christmas movie, like Die Hard, you wouldn't have to suffer such incredible damage to your Jeep.

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Installer scratched my Jeep! cufudys

Honestly, she's freaking awesome and loves Diehard movies along with any action adventure. She pestered me to see Top Gun when it first came out. She's a diehard fan of James Bond movies. At home, she likes her chick flicks and overall doesn't really bother me. So when I get bored, yes, it creates incredible damage to my credit cards, I mean Jeep....

Sponsored

OP
OP
MesaAZGuy

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Final beauty pic. I sprung for a nicer looking hook. (Cosmetic purposes really) Surprised that all the fanbase on Warn and a winch priced over $1000 is actually made in this country whereas the nearly $1300 I spent on everything was made in China. I went with Warn products primarily since all of their parts would simply bolt into my car Jeep without having to run to the hardware store or bust out the cutoff wheel to make fit. (Does anyone else hate it when people call a Jeep a car or am I the only one?!) Thank you to all of those who guided me in the right direction including the hook grabber. The red matches the Rubi's factory stuff perfectly. Rope is out of sunlight.

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Installer scratched my Jeep! IMG_2486

Golden Power

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Golden eagle
(Just kidding!) Gotta find some humor in this for those of you that get it. Anyway, I was going to let a shop install the winch since they had to install a baseplate for my towing needs. Since it was raining all day yesterday and my wife constantly asking me to sit with her and watch some Christmas Hallmark movies, I said fuck it and went into the garage to see if I could find the motivation to install the winch. Figured the tow shop can deal with the winch if it was in their way when they install the baseplate. The first thing I did was remove the push pins on the frame rail cover to see if there were indeed scratches on the frame from manufacture. Sure enough there was. I can't come here and be pissed that some asshat scratched my 68k jeep and that they should have taken better care of it over their 1989 rusty for pickup they were working on... (A simple appliance black paint did the trick as it was what I had on hand) But I digress and figured no such luck. This is on me ;). (Again, kidding!!) Anyway, this is how some of these jeeps arrive to us ; Hidden scratches and all. Yesterday morning I fabricated an angled metal mounting plate for the power shutoff solenoid and painted it white. (Not pictured but can post if requested) My white paint wasn't as bright as the Jeep's PW7 but it's all I had on hand and I wasn't going to buy a can of paint at today's inflated prices of $12.97, Ha! I connected the Winch's solenoid to Aux 1. Wiring the thing was stupid simple. I put black plastic wire loom over the red wire from winch to solenoid and in fact added a wrap of tape over the whole assembly. When I opened up all the winch/accessory boxes and seen all the parts it seemed daunting but I figured one step at a time. Removing the steel bumper was a cakewalk as was putting it back on. I only removed the corners to help alleviate some of the weight since I knew if I asked my wife for help, I would be indebted to watching some prince from Balantius swooning over the diner chick in Wisconsin. Overall, it took me about 3 hours with the exception of needing longer fasteners for the fairlead and hook hanger. Seeing that it is raining and it's messy out, I can't take my Jeep out to Lowe's across the street in fear of getting it dirty! Ha! I think the whole thing will be nice and sturdy for jumping ruts. Adding the 150lbs or so of extra weight does put the front end down a bit on rake. What do you guys/gals think? Springs or spacers? This is the XR.

I am late to this but make sure their arent any extraneous sharpie marks near the rock rails!

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

(Does anyone else hate it when people call a Jeep a car or am I the only one?!) .
My wife drives her car. I drive my Jeep. And that's that.
Sponsored