First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
(Just kidding!) Gotta find some humor in this for those of you that get it. Anyway, I was going to let a shop install the winch since they had to install a baseplate for my towing needs. Since it was raining all day yesterday and my wife constantly asking me to sit with her and watch some Christmas Hallmark movies, I said fuck it and went into the garage to see if I could find the motivation to install the winch. Figured the tow shop can deal with the winch if it was in their way when they install the baseplate. The first thing I did was remove the push pins on the frame rail cover to see if there were indeed scratches on the frame from manufacture. Sure enough there was. I can't come here and be pissed that some asshat scratched my 68k jeep and that they should have taken better care of it over their 1989 rusty for pickup they were working on... (A simple appliance black paint did the trick as it was what I had on hand) But I digress and figured no such luck. This is on me ;). (Again, kidding!!) Anyway, this is how some of these jeeps arrive to us ; Hidden scratches and all. Yesterday morning I fabricated an angled metal mounting plate for the power shutoff solenoid and painted it white. (Not pictured but can post if requested) My white paint wasn't as bright as the Jeep's PW7 but it's all I had on hand and I wasn't going to buy a can of paint at today's inflated prices of $12.97, Ha! I connected the Winch's solenoid to Aux 1. Wiring the thing was stupid simple. I put black plastic wire loom over the red wire from winch to solenoid and in fact added a wrap of tape over the whole assembly. When I opened up all the winch/accessory boxes and seen all the parts it seemed daunting but I figured one step at a time. Removing the steel bumper was a cakewalk as was putting it back on. I only removed the corners to help alleviate some of the weight since I knew if I asked my wife for help, I would be indebted to watching some prince from Balantius swooning over the diner chick in Wisconsin. Overall, it took me about 3 hours with the exception of needing longer fasteners for the fairlead and hook hanger. Seeing that it is raining and it's messy out, I can't take my Jeep out to Lowe's across the street in fear of getting it dirty! Ha! I think the whole thing will be nice and sturdy for jumping ruts. Adding the 150lbs or so of extra weight does put the front end down a bit on rake. What do you guys/gals think? Springs or spacers? This is the XR.

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Installer scratched my Jeep! IMG_2473

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Installer scratched my Jeep! IMG_2474

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Installer scratched my Jeep! IMG_2475

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Installer scratched my Jeep! IMG_2477

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Installer scratched my Jeep! IMG_2470
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
(Just kidding!) Gotta find some humor in this for those of you that get it. Anyway, I was going to let a shop install the winch since they had to install a baseplate for my towing needs. Since it was raining all day yesterday and my wife constantly asking me to sit with her and watch some Christmas Hallmark movies, I said fuck it and went into the garage to see if I could find the motivation to install the winch. Figured the tow shop can deal with the winch if it was in their way when they install the baseplate. The first thing I did was remove the push pins on the frame rail cover to see if there were indeed scratches on the frame from manufacture. Sure enough there was. I can't come here and be pissed that some asshat scratched my 68k jeep and that they should have taken better care of it over their 1989 rusty for pickup they were working on... (A simple appliance black paint did the trick as it was what I had on hand) But I digress and figured no such luck. This is on me ;). (Again, kidding!!) Anyway, this is how some of these jeeps arrive to us ; Hidden scratches and all. Yesterday morning I fabricated an angled metal mounting plate for the power shutoff solenoid and painted it white. (Not pictured but can post if requested) My white paint wasn't as bright as the Jeep's PW7 but it's all I had on hand and I wasn't going to buy a can of paint at today's inflated prices of $12.97, Ha! I connected the Winch's solenoid to Aux 1. Wiring the thing was stupid simple. I put black plastic wire loom over the red wire from winch to solenoid and in fact added a wrap of tape over the whole assembly. When I opened up all the winch/accessory boxes and seen all the parts it seemed daunting but I figured one step at a time. Removing the steel bumper was a cakewalk as was putting it back on. I only removed the corners to help alleviate some of the weight since I knew if I asked my wife for help, I would be indebted to watching some prince from Balantius swooning over the diner chick in Wisconsin. Overall, it took me about 3 hours with the exception of needing longer fasteners for the fairlead and hook hanger. Seeing that it is raining and it's messy out, I can't take my Jeep out to Lowe's across the street in fear of getting it dirty! Ha! I think the whole thing will be nice and sturdy for jumping ruts. Adding the 150lbs or so of extra weight does put the front end down a bit on rake. What do you guys/gals think? Springs or spacers? This is the XR.

Spacers now, springs later when you buy a lift. If you never buy a lift, then compensating with the spacer will do the trick nicely.

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
After putting on my Evo-12S and a MORE engine/trans skid on my XR (OEM steel bumper), it sagged just a bit. Popped a 1/2" Teraflex spacer set up front and it leveled it right out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MesaAZGuy

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I see you bought a coffin. Lol. Good to plan ahead, I suppose.

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Installer scratched my Jeep! 1670170469109
That is my wife's car. if it crapped out, she will buy another. Nothing will pry that away from her. She loves it. Her commute is 15 miles all straight highway point A to B. Surprisingly it is actually quite safe. It has some mods on it for my driving pleasure :)

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
That is my wife's car. if it crapped out, she will buy another. Nothing will pry that away from her. She loves it. Her commute is 15 miles all straight highway point A to B. Surprisingly it is actually quite safe. It has some mods on it for my driving pleasure :)
Very nice, little economic car. Sounds like you're using it for its intended purpose.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I'd go spacer. Simple and easy. Maybe add the extended mopar control arms while at it.

OP
OP
MesaAZGuy

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Although it looks like it has a slight rake to it, I measured from the ground to the flares at each corner and it sits at 41" all around. I guess it's good. I'll check again once the baseplate and tow hooks are on.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MesaAZGuy

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Can I just say I’m jealous of your shop?
Thanks! We bought an older house on a little over an acre. It didn't have a garage so when I built one I went big. Not really huge by some of the ones I have seen here. Works for us. 32 x 36 I wanted space to walk around and then some when I had a crew cab with 8' bed Ram 2500 with the cabinets in the back.

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2020 JLU
My mother has had a Smart car since they came out. She loves it. Were up in the northeast. Drives it all summer and puts it away for the winter. My daughter needed a car for month when she was in high school so my mother gave her the smart car. Her friends loved it. They would fight over who got to drive in it.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Looks good. I did 1” Tera spacer to compensate for sag.
it seems I was wrong and those scratches are common.

good call on avoiding the rain! That stuff is a mess!!

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
I see you bought a coffin. Lol. Good to plan ahead, I suppose.

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Installer scratched my Jeep! 1670170469109
when they firse came out, I, too thought the same & somehow, not even searching for this vehicle, came upon a video of a crash test: F**K me! them things are hella safe..but I prefer my jeep:
Sponsored