Sponsored

winch install crushed fog light harness?

balan

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Website
heraglobaltech.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab Punk'n
Occupation
Engineer
Hey everyone,

Back in May I installed a winch on my JLU. About a month ago, the fog light stopped working. A took what I thought was a good look at it and realized to replace it you have to replace the whole assembly.

While at the dealership for one of my free oil changes, I told them it was out and they said they couldn't replace it under warranty because the after market winch that was installed broke the fog light wiring harness. They sent me the picture with the blue circle on it (others attached for reference, but don't have many of the install I did)

What are all of your thoughts on this? I don't see how this happened. The pic they shared makes it seem like the winch plate might have pinched the wire but hard to tell.

They said new wires are $38. I just want to cut and splice it myself. But not sure where to put the wires once I fix. I guess it's probably my fault but I'm still confused.

Thanks!

IMG_20200117_144130_01.jpg

Snapchat-75119712.jpg

View attachment 272234

View attachment 272235

IMG_20190609_122258.jpg
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hey everyone,

Back in May I installed a winch on my JLU. About a month ago, the fog light stopped working. A took what I thought was a good look at it and realized to replace it you have to replace the whole assembly.

While at the dealership for one of my free oil changes, I told them it was out and they said they couldn't replace it under warranty because the after market winch that was installed broke the fog light wiring harness. They sent me the picture with the blue circle on it (others attached for reference, but don't have many of the install I did)

What are all of your thoughts on this? I don't see how this happened. The pic they shared makes it seem like the winch plate might have pinched the wire but hard to tell.

They said new wires are $38. I just want to cut and splice it myself. But not sure where to put the wires once I fix. I guess it's probably my fault but I'm still confused.

Thanks!

IMG_20200117_144130_01.jpg

Snapchat-75119712.jpg

View attachment 272234

View attachment 272235

IMG_20190609_122258.jpg
Hey, aren't you an Engineer by profession? I would just re-splice the wires and maybe re locate the line and see if that works before spending money on a new wires, just make sure they are the same gauge wire.

OP
OP
balan

balan

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Website
heraglobaltech.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab Punk'n
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, I said I plan to fix it myself. I'm confused as to a) how it happened and b) how to prevent in the future haha.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Yes, I said I plan to fix it myself. I'm confused as to a) how it happened and b) how to prevent in the future haha.
Well you may not know until you remove the insulation from the wires to see if the wires were cut or damaged by the plate. I don't see where the wires were cut by the location near the bracket. Its a friction bolt holding those plates together so i don't think the plates shifted to cut the wires. I think its just and excuse by the dealership to deny you coverage when they saw an aftermarket part. I could be 100% wrong, and I regularly am, but let me know what you find.

OP
OP
balan

balan

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Website
heraglobaltech.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab Punk'n
Occupation
Engineer
Well you may not know until you remove the insulation from the wires to see if the wires were cut or damaged by the plate. I don't see where the wires were cut by the location near the bracket. Its a friction bolt holding those plates together so i don't think the plates shifted to cut the wires. I think its just and excuse by the dealership to deny you coverage when they saw an aftermarket part. I could be 100% wrong, and I regularly am, but let me know what you find.
I totally agree with your estimation. I think they don't want to fix it.

I'm still under the 3 year bumper to bumper obviously, so annoyed that they won't help out.
Sponsored