Winch Disconnect and Mounting Plate

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
More info on the inserts you used if you don't mind. Did you use nutserts or something? I "assume" you had to drill holes for them.
Thanks
ALR

I used one existing hole and had to drill another. I bought a large rivnut kit that had several bags of different nutserts and an easy to use lever tool to set them. I first tried a combination rivet gun/nutsert tool that quickly went in the trash...

This tool will come in handy soon as I install my new ARB Rock Sliders. (They are similar to JCR Crusader's)
Sponsored

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
I used one existing hole and had to drill another. I bought a large rivnut kit that had several bags of different nutserts and an easy to use lever tool to set them. I first tried a combination rivet gun/nutsert tool that quickly went in the trash...

This tool will come in handy soon as I install my new ARB Rock Sliders. (They are similar to JCR Crusader's)
Cool, thanks for the reply/info:)

ZigZag

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR (Hellayella)
Occupation
IT Professional
Clubs

Do you have links for the rivnut kit and tool?

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Do you have links for the rivnut kit and tool?

Sorry, I do not-it was just one of the larger two-handed manual rivnut tools. However, I more recently bought a cordless rivet nut tool (wanted a Milwaukee but they do not make one) branded ACDelco, model ARV 20103 that works great. If and when Milwaukee offers one, I will buy it and sell off the ACDelco but in the meantime the ACDelco rivnut tool works fine.

mdkautzman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Does this require the remote system to be functioning to turn it on? I don't have any aux. switches, but may add some in the future. This looks like the ideal way to get something working now that allows for expansion later.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/7700/ML-RBS_Remote_Battery_Switch_with_Manual_Control_-_12V_DC_500A
Can you explain the wiring of the solunoid? I also do not want constant power to the winch and want to use one of the accessory switches. Which ones are recommended.

Sponsored

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
Can you explain the wiring of the solunoid? I also do not want constant power to the winch and want to use one of the accessory switches. Which ones are recommended.
Here's the schematic of the Warn interrupt:

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Disconnect and Mounting Plate Wirin

Follow this and you'll be fine. If you need part numbers for the solenoid let me know & I'll dig em up.

Ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
I waffled quite a bit on using a 500amp solenoid or a disconnect switch for the power to the winch. I did not want constant power to the winch and wanted a way to break the connection. I elected to install a disconnect switch so that I do not lose one of my auxiliary switches to power the solenoid and a solenoid would likely be one more thing to fail when it is needed most.

I am still in the mock up stages, but I thought that I would share what I have done so far. I made a template out of cardboard and traced it out onto a 1/4" thick T6061 aluminum plate grabbed from Amazon to mount a Blue Sea Systems disconnect switch also from Amazon.

Enjoy!

Raw Plate:

Finished Plate:

Mock of Plate 1:

Mock of Plate 2:

Switch View 1:

Switch View 2:

Switch View 3:
So I know this was a couple of Years ago that you did this but do you remember what the measurements were on the plate? Or how big of a plate you got on amazon? I am trying to create a way to mount my disconnect and I like where you mounted yours. It seems to free up some area over by the battery by mounting it in the location you install yours.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
I started out leaving the positive winch cable tucked beside the battery, and used a wing nut to attach the cable when I needed power. I got tired of having to pop the hood to get power to the winch (and burning my thumb getting it off), so I just installed a 700 amp marine relay connected to my switch bank.

The other smaller relay is a 100 amp isolation relay to the main aux relay center so I can shut it all off since my radios donā€™t play well with it when transmitting (relays chatter from RF interference).

HGJCuoJl.jpg

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
So I know this was a couple of Years ago that you did this but do you remember what the measurements were on the plate? Or how big of a plate you got on amazon? I am trying to create a way to mount my disconnect and I like where you mounted yours. It seems to free up some area over by the battery by mounting it in the location you install yours.
Hopefully, I can do better than that. I have no idea why, but I kept the template that I created to build the aluminum piece. Here are photos of it with a ruler next to it. I think I have captured all of the dimensions that you may need, but let me know if you need any other measurements:

@Ospreyfe55 ā–¼ā–¼ā–¼

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Disconnect and Mounting Plate YlhbCx

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Disconnect and Mounting Plate Ylj93B

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Disconnect and Mounting Plate YljHYP

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Disconnect and Mounting Plate YlhmEQ

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Disconnect and Mounting Plate YljJv1

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Disconnect and Mounting Plate YljdyF

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Disconnect and Mounting Plate Ylj3T

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Disconnect and Mounting Plate YljFja

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Disconnect and Mounting Plate YljKZJ

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Disconnect and Mounting Plate YljqCv

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Disconnect and Mounting Plate YljBGR

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Disconnect and Mounting Plate YljC4

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Disconnect and Mounting Plate Yljo3N

Last edited:

Ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Hopefully, I can do better than that. I have no idea why, but I kept the template that I created to build the aluminum piece. Here are photos of it with a ruler next to it. I think I have captured all of the dimensions that you may need, but let me know if you need any other measurements:

@Ospreyfe55 ā–¼ā–¼ā–¼

This is great! I will use your pics to compare to my cardboard template as well. I am just waiting on the flat plate aluminum to come in and then i can get this made.

Sponsored

99wishes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Moab
Thought I would share a similar bracket because this is one of the best locations in my opinion, especially if you have another accessory mounted by the battery.

Since I donā€™t have the resources to pull of a custom bracket, I used a Simpson ZMax 7.25x3 Deck Joist Tie and bent it into the shape I wanted.

I also used the switch that came with the kit. Itā€™s mounted under the hood. Yes, I have the S-tech switches in the cab, but I also have two young boys I didnā€™t want messing with the light switches and accidentally doing something with the winch.

Not completely finished with the wiring install but it works for now.

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Disconnect and Mounting Plate IMG_5762
Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Disconnect and Mounting Plate IMG_5763
Sponsored