Sponsored

Winch Disconnect and Mounting Plate

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I waffled quite a bit on using a 500amp solenoid or a disconnect switch for the power to the winch. I did not want constant power to the winch and wanted a way to break the connection. I elected to install a disconnect switch so that I do not lose one of my auxiliary switches to power the solenoid and a solenoid would likely be one more thing to fail when it is needed most.

I am still in the mock up stages, but I thought that I would share what I have done so far. I made a template out of cardboard and traced it out onto a 1/4" thick T6061 aluminum plate grabbed from Amazon to mount a Blue Sea Systems disconnect switch also from Amazon.

Enjoy!

Raw Plate:
HwgviN.jpg

Finished Plate:
HwgNDv.jpg

Mock of Plate 1:
HwgexR.jpg

Mock of Plate 2:
HwgkVp.jpg

Switch View 1:
HwgSfI.jpg

Switch View 2:
HwggUX.jpg

Switch View 3:
HwgUlt.jpg
Sponsored

JRod

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
That's genius! How did you mount the plate to the engine? And was the plate pre-cut or did you cut it yourself?

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's genius! How did you mount the plate to the engine? And was the plate pre-cut or did you cut it yourself?
I have the 3.6L engine and on the left side (when facing the vehicle) there is a plate that supports the engine cover and a few hoses. It has a stud on it (nothing attached) and a pre-drilled hole (also empty) so I used those two points + the engine cover support to mount the plate.

After creating a cardboard template, I cut the plate myself out of 1/4" thick T6061 aluminum (using a jigsaw--I do not have a "real shop"), drilled it and then painted it. The switch is pretty tall and the plate it is running uphill towards the front of the Jeep (due to the design of the OEM mounting bracket) so I added a couple of washers under the rear mount to tilt it down. If I find that it is too close to the underside of the hood, I may have to make a different bracket out of thinner material (probably stainless) so that I can weld (or bend) an offset into it to force more clearance.

The Blue Sea switch was the most heavy duty switch that I could find (350 amps continuous load) because I did not want to take a chance on a failure. I plan to use a snatch block to further reduce the load and amp draw of the winch.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
All finished (just some minor cleanup remaining). Now I simply turn the switch on before heading off road and back off again when back in civilization.

HN1Vd7.jpg

Sponsored

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
This is a great post and idea, looks like I have more to order...

JohnT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
4-minutemiles.weebly.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
I waffled quite a bit on using a 500amp solenoid or a disconnect switch for the power to the winch. I did not want constant power to the winch and wanted a way to break the connection. I elected to install a disconnect switch so that I do not lose one of my auxiliary switches to power the solenoid and a solenoid would likely be one more thing to fail when it is needed most.

I am still in the mock up stages, but I thought that I would share what I have done so far. I made a template out of cardboard and traced it out onto a 1/4" thick T6061 aluminum plate grabbed from Amazon to mount a Blue Sea Systems disconnect switch also from Amazon.

Enjoy!

Raw Plate:
Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Disconnect and Mounting Plate HN1Vd7

Finished Plate:

Mock of Plate 1:

Mock of Plate 2:

Switch View 1:

Switch View 2:

Switch View 3:
Smart idea - I did this on my '04 when I realized all it would take was a front-ender to short the battery out (and potentially start a fire you simply couldn't put out). I got a big-a$$ battery disconnect switch. Works great.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
nicely done. i'm thinking of doing a cut off switch for the winch when i get one. this is as clean and simple as it get.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I also did not want continuous power to the winch so used only the solenoid from Warn's Power Interrupt Kit and triggered it from Aux 4. Started with a stiff piece of aluminum, cut and formed it to fit on the right inside fender using 1/4 20 threaded inserts. Solenoid fits perfectly and there is a factory ground a few inches away for triggering solenoid and an unused heavy factory ground just behind for attaching the winch ground cable.

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Disconnect and Mounting Plate IMG_1686

Sponsored

JohnT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
4-minutemiles.weebly.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
I also did not want continuous power to the winch so used only the solenoid from Warn's Power Interrupt Kit and triggered it from Aux 4. Started with a stiff piece of aluminum, cut and formed it to fit on the right inside fender using 1/4 20 threaded inserts. Solenoid fits perfectly and there is a factory ground a few inches away for triggering solenoid and an unused heavy factory ground just behind for attaching the winch ground cable.

awesome idea
what is the rating on the solenoid?

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
awesome idea
what is the rating on the solenoid?

I gave up asking Warn and did not go to the trouble to pull numbers off the solenoid and research it myself...But Warn assured me it was rated for the job and sells it for their winches as part of a kit that includes some additional wire and a switch that mounts under the dash-with the Aux switches I threw those in the trash.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Clever use of some the very minimal amount of space these engine compartments have available! Different Blue Sea Systems battery switch, but here's my mount on the lid of the fuse box:

Does this require the remote system to be functioning to turn it on? I don't have any aux. switches, but may add some in the future. This looks like the ideal way to get something working now that allows for expansion later.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/7700/ML-RBS_Remote_Battery_Switch_with_Manual_Control_-_12V_DC_500A

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Does this require the remote system to be functioning to turn it on? I don't have any aux. switches, but may add some in the future. This looks like the ideal way to get something working now that allows for expansion later.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/7700/ML-RBS_Remote_Battery_Switch_with_Manual_Control_-_12V_DC_500A
Yeah, its a pretty cool device. You can lock it "ON" if you don't have/want a switch, lock it "OFF" if you want to disconnect it and prevent the switch from working, or leave it on the remote setting if you want it to be switch activated. It's rated at 500A continuous and can switch a 300A load if you need to shut off a runaway winch or something. It's really an ideal battery switch for a winch. The one downside, the price...

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others

More info on the inserts you used if you don't mind. Did you use nutserts or something? I "assume" you had to drill holes for them.
Thanks
ALR
Sponsored