Sponsored

Winch choice Rating - 9,500 or 12,000 lbs ???

DEM

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
Looking to buy a winch for wife’s Jeep. Very little off-road mainly hi-way.
As such which is better capacity to buy?
Do you really need a 12,000 lb winch? Will a 9,500 lb winch do everything that most would need or require.
And will it fit the stock 2019 JL MOAB from steel bumper.
Sponsored

Amric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 TJ Rubicon, 2018 JL Rubicon
I went 8k, on my JL, and 9.5k on my TJ. 12k is overkill for a 4.5k weight jeep.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
9500 is about average for a jeep. the one thing you want to keep in mind is how much line you have on the winch. having the extra length would be like extra security in case you need to reach further to an anchor point or double up the winch line to double up the winch load to get out of a tougher situation. just make sure you pick up a nice hd tree strap 20 footer and a snatch block to double the winch line.

Lil Punk'n

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangled jl sport
Occupation
Retired, School bus driver
We bought :
Smittybilt 98510 X2O-10 Comp Gen2 Winch with Synthetic Line works great .
20190517_134302.jpg

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if you have already decided on a winch plate but that will be needed with the stock steel bumper. Then you will need to decide how much money you want to spend on the winch, if you want synthetic rope or cable, and do you want to use the included back plate/fairlead/shackle... Another item to consider is a power interrupt kit. Having a live 12v line up front may not be in your best interest.

Some of the higher end 12K winches have wireless remotes and power plugs that can be used for items like lights. Might be worth looking at the features of the higher end units just so you know what you are not getting with a cheaper one. Of course if this is only to be used once in a while and stay covered most of the time, there isn't a reason to spend more than is needed.

winch1 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Off Warn site,
8000lb winch pulling 8000 lbs draws 413 amps
12000lb winch pulling 8000 lbs draws 372 amps
less work, same pull smaller amp draw

JeepTime

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Not sure if you have already decided on a winch plate but that will be needed with the stock steel bumper. Then you will need to decide how much money you want to spend on the winch, if you want synthetic rope or cable, and do you want to use the included back plate/fairlead/shackle... Another item to consider is a power interrupt kit. Having a live 12v line up front may not be in your best interest.

Some of the higher end 12K winches have wireless remotes and power plugs that can be used for items like lights. Might be worth looking at the features of the higher end units just so you know what you are not getting with a cheaper one. Of course if this is only to be used once in a while and stay covered most of the time, there isn't a reason to spend more than is needed.

winch1 - Copy.jpg
I was thinking about swapping my hawse fairlead out for the one you have. Does it go over the fairlead adapter on the top/bottom it's hard to tell from the pic! thanks! I have the steel one that came with my VR-8s and wanted to go to an aluminum hawse fairlead for the lighter weight and really like the look of the warn one you have

JeepTime

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I have the Warn VR-8S which is 8,000lbs, synthetic line. As someone else mentioned you will need a winch mounting plate also, so keep that in mind when factoring in how much you want to spend. Often times you'll read a lot of the winch should do 1.5x what the weight of what your pulling is. I figured for me an 8,000lb winch was enough because I'm most likely hardly going to use it, and when I need to the weight rating is good enough for my jeep, wanted to save the weight of the physical unit itself, a higher capacity winch is generally heavier, and also wanted to save on some of the cost. If you have a slightly higher budget I'd probably go torward 10k just for added peace of mind and strength and I think 12k is a little overkill, but I think whichever way you go you will be happy.
DE354A2D-85A1-424F-9808-CA370EE9080D.jpeg

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking about swapping my hawse fairlead out for the one you have. Does it go over the fairlead adapter on the top/bottom it's hard to tell from the pic! thanks! I have the steel one that came with my VR-8s and wanted to go to an aluminum hawse fairlead for the lighter weight and really like the look of the warn one you have
It does go over the Artec fairlead plate about an 1/8" on top/bottom. It still fits within the indent in the bumper though. I was also looking at the Maximus-3 fairlead but ended up with the Warn.
Sponsored