Sponsored

Wilwood big brake conversion front/rear

Do bigger brakes make for a better jeep?

• Total voters

travvaller

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
Jeep Wrangler JL Wilwood big brake conversion front/rear 20210529_104428

So, I know this look or build is not for everyone. Don't mock or belittle the look. My reason for this thread is to encourage all JL owners regardless of model they own to invest the money in a brake upgrade. Its the best money I have spent, almost 30K. The Wilwood big brake 6 piston front and 4 piston rear makes my rig stop on a dime. I once read someone say, you won't get more brake force on road, only less fade off road from a conversion. Let me tell you, its absolute bullcrap. I have at least triple the force, w no more sponge pedal or lag of brake stop initiation...before the conversion, i lived in fear of the inner city quick stop at 15 mph or less...it was as though I had no brakes. FCA sucks in outfitting jeeps period, and it really shows in brake department. Get it done, you won't be sorry.
Sponsored

TorturedMargot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL, 2013 Dodge Charger R/T
Clubs

Brake upgrades are massively important and definitely overlooked on Jeeps. A buddy of mine is running 40s on his JK with the factory brakes, which I’ve heard are atrocious on those rigs. How is that even possible?? Did you have to get an 18” rim for Wilwood? Their kit description says “should fit most 17s” but I don’t wanna take any chances. I have 18 inch rims now mounted on 35 inch tires, but when I upgrade to 37s, I was thinking about going to 17s. But I want to clear my brakes so maybe I will stick with 18 inch wheels…

Il Commandante

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0
Just installed the front brakes only. Great brakes, even though I'm still breaking them in carefully.
Fit my 17" wheels with no issue, with +18mm offset.

Sunburn

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep JK (AMW4x4 392) / 2023 Jeep JL 392
@Commandante any updates on brake improvements and do you have any pictures of the brakes installed?

Il Commandante

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0
@Commandante any updates on brake improvements and do you have any pictures of the brakes installed?
I have!

Brand new:
Jeep Wrangler JL Wilwood big brake conversion front/rear version=1&uuid=D72F0322-1875-4615-8EC4-F1AB7E076099&mode=compatible&noloc=1

And after a few miles:
Jeep Wrangler JL Wilwood big brake conversion front/rear version=1&uuid=C3CBB882-EB57-4007-AAFD-64949EA4D182&mode=compatible&noloc=1

The brakes are definitely up to the task of stopping a buildt JLU on 37s.
And no more pushing through the brakes in low range 1st gear.
They sqeak slightly, but only when cold and at very low speed.
Very happy so far!

Sponsored

Sunburn

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep JK (AMW4x4 392) / 2023 Jeep JL 392
That's good to hear. Thank you for the update and pics!

Jtaugner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLURD / 03 Cobra
Build Thread
Link
I have!

Brand new:

And after a few miles:

The brakes are definitely up to the task of stopping a buildt JLU on 37s.
And no more pushing through the brakes in low range 1st gear.
They sqeak slightly, but only when cold and at very low speed.
Very happy so far!
Wilwood brakes are next on my list to get for my JL.. Did you measure the clearance before you bought them? Did you know you needed 30 mil spacers before going into it?

I've got +0 wheels, and really not wanting my tires to poke any further out of the fenders then they already do. Also curious if it's a 1:1 comparison. If you needed 30 mil spacers with +18, guessing I'll need at least +12? I hate that Wilwood doesn't include a printable template like other brake manufacturers.

Il Commandante

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0
Did you know you needed 30 mil spacers before going into it?
Jtaugner, I did not need spacers with the American Racing (non-beadlock) +18mm offset wheels. They are just fine.

The spacers are only needed for my set of KMC Genade beadlock wheels. They have far more material on the inside of the rim. But even for those, 15mm spacers would have been enough.

I needed 30mm to clear the Falcon shocks with my narrow (66.5") European axles when running 37" Trepadors, and to fit the TMR Custom steering parts.

I made a template from a ½" styrofoam sheet. That is much more exact than a paper template.
The dimensions Wilwood gives are conservative and include the needed clearance to the wheel, so if the template fits in, even if it is touching, it will be fine.

Jtaugner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLURD / 03 Cobra
Build Thread
Link
Jtaugner, I did not need spacers with the American Racing (non-beadlock) +18mm offset wheels. They are just fine.

The spacers are only needed for my set of KMC Genade beadlock wheels. They have far more material on the inside of the rim. But even for those, 15mm spacers would have been enough.

I needed 30mm to clear the Falcon shocks with my narrow (66.5") European axles when running 37" Trepadors, and to fit the TMR Custom steering parts.

I made a template from a ½" styrofoam sheet. That is much more exact than a paper template.
The dimensions Wilwood gives are conservative and include the needed clearance to the wheel, so if the template fits in, even if it is touching, it will be fine.
That is great to hear, thank you. Can't wait to get these on.
Sponsored