First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Wife drove the hardest part of Medano Pass in Colorado this Summer. Admittedly it's a pretty easy trail but she took the time to take a harder heart-shaped line right at the summit. ♥

Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_4068.PNG
Sponsored

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon two door. 2.0 Turbo.
Been a while since I've updated this. Wilson has been running great. Only irritant is the surge just off idle. That and I'm only getting about 12 mpg on E85, but the lack of fumes with the top off and the low-midrange response makes it totally worthwhile.

I don't think I posted Wilson's weight, 4,760 lbs ready to hit the trail.
Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_4138.JPG
Thanks very much for posting the weight, that is very interesting, I have been wondering about this.
Is that gross weight empty or with driver and passenger?

OP
OP
Kreepin1

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thanks very much for posting the weight, that is very interesting, I have been wondering about this.
Is that gross weight empty or with driver and passenger?
No people or dogs, full tank of gas, I'd guess about 50 lbs. of tools and recovery gear. I was surprised how heavy it is. Sure, I added a winch, steel bumpers, skids and sliders but I also ditched the hardtop, rear seat, carpeting and a bunch of little bits and pieces. But the shocking thing is this is within a few hundred pounds of my CJ-7 which has all that plus Dana 60/70 axles, 43" tires on steel beadlocks (185 lbs. per corner!) and an old school cast iron V-8 and drivetrain.

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon two door. 2.0 Turbo.
No people or dogs, full tank of gas, I'd guess about 50 lbs. of tools and recovery gear. I was surprised how heavy it is. Sure, I added a winch, steel bumpers, skids and sliders but I also ditched the hardtop, rear seat, carpeting and a bunch of little bits and pieces. But the shocking thing is this is within a few hundred pounds of my CJ-7 which has all that plus Dana 60/70 axles, 43" tires on steel beadlocks (185 lbs. per corner!) and an old school cast iron V-8 and drivetrain.
Very interesting, thank you very much. We have very similar builds, so I should be close to the same. I have aluminum bumpers, but still have the hardtop. Lost the back seat, but gained a bunch of skid plates, so I am guessing close to the same.

This is very good to know because I eventually plan on building it up and trailering again, so that is really good info to have. I previously had a built up TJ with dynatrac 60's , tons of armor, full cage, etc, and I never knew the weight on that, but it felt similar to this when wheeling and it seemed fine on a 7k car trailer.

Anyway, Thanks again for the info.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kreepin1

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Very interesting, thank you very much. We have very similar builds, so I should be close to the same. I have aluminum bumpers, but still have the hardtop. Lost the back seat, but gained a bunch of skid plates, so I am guessing close to the same.

This is very good to know because I eventually plan on building it up and trailering again, so that is really good info to have. I previously had a built up TJ with dynatrac 60's , tons of armor, full cage, etc, and I never knew the weight on that, but it felt similar to this when wheeling and it seemed fine on a 7k car trailer.

Anyway, Thanks again for the info.
Sounds about right. Figure 5,200 for a built JL, trailer weighs 2,400, less 1,000 lb tongue weight puts around 6,600 on the tires.

OP
OP
Kreepin1

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Been slackin' on the updates. In November I went to the Badlands in Indiana for a pick up game of wheelin'.
Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_4301.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_4316.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_4322.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_4326.JPG

Everything went great until I slipped on the LOD Destroyers getting in after this poser shot. Hyper extended my left knee. More on that later.
Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_4310.JPG

This guy was stuck but good. Three of us daisy chained and tried to pull him backwards. I tied off to a tree and winched him out. I was a tough pull, should have doubled the line but it was late and my knee was not happy.
Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors 324883792_517126490535150_4010831948248945123_n

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kreepin1

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Just got back from a trip to California. We have a new Granddaughter!
Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_4403.JPG

Wilson has been on a strict diet of E85 since the Livernois tune and I was pleasantly surprised by the cost out West. Their 83% ethanol blend was about half the cost of premium I'd be running otherwise. Wilson runs soooo great on this fuel. Game changer.
Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_4398.JPG

The tradeoff is in fuel economy...
Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_4408.JPG

OP
OP
Kreepin1

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Spent a few days running trails and hiking in the Anza Borrego State Park. It was amazing. The landscape changed completely every 15 minutes; different rocks, different plants. Crazy fun!
Day 1 we went exploring Fish Creek and Sandstone Canyon on our own:
Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_6149.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_6152.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_6157.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_6168.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_6177.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_6181.JPG

Late in the day found us on the Hapaha Flat road. A bit past this point we came to the "drop off" on Pinon Canyon road which was an extremely steep, dug out climb. Not the kind of thing you try on your own with no cell service. So we headed back to camp.
Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_6188.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kreepin1

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Day 3 we went on a hike to the Wind Caves:
Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_4441.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_4447.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_4449.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_4450.JPG

And then sight seeing in Borrego Springs. These statues are all over the place. Must be 150 of them!
Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_6263.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_6264.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_6269.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_6296.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_6290.JPG

And best for last. Cool old Jeep
Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_6275.JPG

With only 47,000 miles on the clock!
Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_6274.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_6273.JPG

OP
OP
Kreepin1

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I have to give a shout out to Eric Thater from Jeep Action Camper http://www.actioncamper.com/ for showing us around. Really great and talented guy!

Here's some pictures of his daily driver. Yes, the hood scoops are functional like everything else he designs!
Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_6233.JPG

That top pops up for a sleeping area, the website has more info.
Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_6231.JPG

Here's how it looks under the hood:
Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_4437.JPG

Speaking of hoods, carbon fiber anyone?
Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_4440.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_4439.JPG

Really slick the way the hood vents were designed.
Jeep Wrangler JL Wilson - a Sting Gray touring and trail JLR w/half doors IMG_4438.JPG

AdamG

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLSportS
You’ve been on those TrailGrapplers for a while, how is the noise as they wear? And have you had them in snow?

OP
OP
Kreepin1

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
You’ve been on those TrailGrapplers for a while, how is the noise as they wear? And have you had them in snow?
Hmmmm, thoughts on the Trail Grapplers....

Well, I've only got about 7,000 miles on them so they haven't reached the stage in life where mud tires really start to howl. They are louder than Cooper's S/T Maxx by a little bit and quieter than Swampers by a lot.

I will not be driving this Jeep on road in snow but I can tell you they would suck unless you siped them.

I am pleased with them as an all-purpose tire. They are a jack-of-all-trades that do everything "good" and nothing "poor" or "excellent" from commuting in LA traffic to dunes to rock to mud they do it all. As they've broken in the grip on wet rocks has improved which was an issue when they were newer. They have made me a believer in sticking with Load Range C tires on Jeeps that will see significant road miles. At some point I will likely groove and sipe them to tilt the performance towards off road at the expense of on road manners.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Kirk, gotta say, thanks for taking us along for the ride! Such a purposeful build that you just nailed in every aspect!
Love that choice in bumpers and all your fab work to make everything come out perfect. Will be watching this thread as time goes on and great that you provide an ideal space for your dogs to enjoy the journey too, so well done!
Sponsored