Sponsored

Willys Xtreme axles - Dana 44 in front?

Boothorp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Since the willys xtreme will have 35 inch tires does that mean it will also have a Dana 44 in front?

I can’t find any info
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
The front air dam screws up the view from out front, but if someone really knows their axles maybe they could pick it out from the split second rear angle shot here:

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Andy has provided your answer right here. Not just D44s on the Willys XR, but the strengthened versions. A heck of a deal, since you’re paying the same $4k as Rubicon owners for the package. You also get high-line fenders essentially for free.

In this, more than the 35” tires, the Willys XR is a game-changer in Wrangler World. Plenty of people bought Rubicons, in large part, for their stronger front axle. That is no longer an advantage. Now, a Rubicon essentially boils down to the f/r lockers and the sway bar disco (and possibly some additional option availability that I’m not aware of).

This makes the WXR something of an “overlander special” for 2022, IMO. It costs $4,720 less than a base Rubicon. Are dual lockers and the e-disco worth the difference? I suspect a good number of potential Rubicon buyers will conclude “no.”

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
With how effective the BLD and LSD is, I don't think you'd need lockers unless you're frequently lifting tires when you're wheeling.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
With how effective the BLD and LSD is, I don't think you'd need lockers unless you're frequently lifting tires when you're wheeling.
the rear LSD in combination with BLD is really effective. i wheel mine heavily and no issues yet. i am getting a front locker installed this week because Ive been lifting tires and pushing it. The rear LSD pushes good, but on rock climbing at an incline it lifts the front of the vehicle when traction up front is limited. Gonna be a goat with front locker and rear LSD.

BLD by itself is much better than open diffs but it sucks it is too slow to react.

Bulldog4xFour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 2022 JLUS 4xe, 2022 JT Mojave
In this, more than the 35” tires, the Willys XR is a game-changer in Wrangler World. Plenty of people bought Rubicons, in large part, for their stronger front axle. That is no longer an advantage. Now, a Rubicon essentially boils down to the f/r lockers and the sway bar disco (and possibly some additional option availability that I’m not aware of).
Rubicon also has the 4 to 1 transfer case

Sponsored

OP
OP

Boothorp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I have a Sahara with locker in front and the LSD in back… it kicks ass and has been to Moab, Rausch, among others doing most obstacles with 35” tires.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Rubicon also has the 4 to 1 transfer case
Id still take the lift, bigger tires, stronger axles, and the gearing iver the 4 to 1 tcase any day. The sport tcase has plenty of juice in 4lo to crawl any black diamond trail. That combined with some left foot technique for finesse should be more than enough.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
the rear LSD in combination with BLD is really effective. i wheel mine heavily and no issues yet. i am getting a front locker installed this week because Ive been lifting tires and pushing it. The rear LSD pushes good, but on rock climbing at an incline it lifts the front of the vehicle when traction up front is limited. Gonna be a goat with front locker and rear LSD.

BLD by itself is much better than open diffs but it sucks it is too slow to react.
Yeah I noticed I can feel it tugging up front when the BLD is actuating, depending on what tire has better grip. I haven't had any issues except up a steep incline in the snow though.

Bulldog4xFour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 2022 JLUS 4xe, 2022 JT Mojave
Id still take the lift, bigger tires, stronger axles, and the gearing iver the 4 to 1 tcase any day. The sport tcase has plenty of juice in 4lo to crawl any black diamond trail. That combined with some left foot technique for finesse should be more than enough.
Yup I agree the Willys XR is the jeep to buy for anyone that really just wants a jeep. You can put in stronger air lockers, stronger Atlas T-case or Rubicon T-case, and Antirock sway bars. I'm definitely considering trading in my jeep for one. Only problem is going to be trying to talk my wife into a much more spartan jeep than my Sahara, and I also wish they still had the billet silver.

The Rubicon is going to be the way to go if you want luxury, and a complete offroader. I would get one because it meets me wanting a just a jeep, and my wife's taste for finer things, but I cant get over the 60K price tag.
Sponsored