Willys XR vs Rubi XR

Weedwacker

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley
After quite a few years of bugging the wife it looks like I finally got the ok to get one. This is after being Jeepless for many a moon. Only had CJ’s and TJ’s before I was married.

My question is, other than the electronic disco’s, what is the difference between the Willys XR and the Rubi XR. Is it really worth the money to get the Rubi if I don’t plan on crawling over boulders? Most of my off road will be logging trails and the occasional ORV park and maybe some Jeep Jamborees. Maybe someday I will do a once in a lifetime trip to MOAB but that depends on the wife and what she thinks.
Sponsored

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
After quite a few years of bugging the wife it looks like I finally got the ok to get one. This is after being Jeepless for many a moon. Only had CJ’s and TJ’s before I was married.

My question is, other than the electronic disco’s, what is the difference between the Willys XR and the Rubi XR. Is it really worth the money to get the Rubi if I don’t plan on crawling over boulders? Most of my off road will be logging trails and the occasional ORV park and maybe some Jeep Jamborees. Maybe someday I will do a once in a lifetime trip to MOAB but that depends on the wife and what she thinks.
Couple of other things as well besides FAD...
- Lockers on Rubicon vs. Limited slip diff on rear of Willy's
- Transfer case
- HD axles
- Tire size 33" vs 32"
- Rock rails on Rubicon
- Offroad+ on Rubicon
- Different hood

Prob more than this, but just what I could come up with. You'd more than likely be perfectly fine with a Willy's based on what you've mentioned. Plus it is likely less money so that should help keep the wife convinced!

Cjanak21

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber Security Consultant
Couple of other things as well besides FAD...
- Lockers on Rubicon vs. Limited slip diff on rear of Willy's
- Transfer case
- HD axles
- Tire size 33" vs 32"
- Rock rails on Rubicon
- Offroad+ on Rubicon
- Different hood

Prob more than this, but just what I could come up with. You'd more than likely be perfectly fine with a Willy's based on what you've mentioned. Plus it is likely less money so that should help keep the wife convinced!
OP is asking about the XR not just a plain Willys. But my option would be to just go with the Willys, more capable than most people will ever use it for and cheaper for the non driving up a border type people. Tires, height, fenders, axles, and pretty much everything is the same minus the lockers

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
OP is asking about the XR not just a plain Willys. But my option would be to just go with the Willys, more capable than most people will ever use it for and cheaper for the non driving up a border type people. Tires, height, fenders, axles, and pretty much everything is the same minus the lockers
Is XR package different on Willy's vs. Rubicon?

Cjanak21

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber Security Consultant
Is XR package different on Willy's vs. Rubicon?
XR package comes with 35”s and the same suspension for both Willys and Rubicons, along with the same high line fenders and HD axle and axle ratio 4.56. The sole difference I believe between both with the XR package is the lockers on the Rubicon and electronic sway bar disconnect

Sponsored

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi 392 Wrangler
Occupation
Retirement From Oil Refinery
XR package comes with 35”s and the same suspension for both Willys and Rubicons, along with the same high line fenders and HD axle and axle ratio 4.56. The sole difference I believe between both with the XR package is the lockers on the Rubicon and electronic sway bar disconnect
and lower transfercase gears

RKB

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX460 and FJ

Dude pull your big boy underwear on and tell the old lady you are going to Moab and do it!
Fantastic trip, I went in my FJ a year ago and going back in 2022. I am hanging on this forum because got tired of waiting on Bronco and hope to order a 2022 Rubicon.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Dude pull your big boy underwear on and tell the old lady you are going to Moab and do it!
Fantastic trip, I went in my FJ a year ago and going back in 2022. I am hanging on this forum because got tired of waiting on Bronco and hope to order a 2022 Rubicon.
Lol right? I can’t imagine my wife dictating where I go on vacation.

RKB

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX460 and FJ
Lol right? I can’t imagine my wife dictating where I go on vacation.
Yes and no, Moab last year and Smoky Mountains this year which kept her happy. She does like Ouray CO so that is always a good option also.

Sponsored

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I've never read a post where someone said "I really wish I didn't get the Rubicon."

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I really like the Willys XR combo. There’s a LOT of value for the money there. And that Jeep will be able to get you through 95% of the trails out there with ease.

I've never read a post where someone said "I really wish I didn't get the Rubicon."
Apparently you haven’t read enough... 😫

OP
OP

Weedwacker

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley
It’s more of a money/time issue than wife. Plus it would be a guy trip as she is not interested in off-roading at all.

Surfin3591

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Telluride , 2022 Rubicon XR (on order)

Are you asking about all differences, exterior/interior/etc.? If so, big ticket items for me ordering a Rubi XR instead of Willys XR were the 8.4” UConnect screen, Alpine audio and Proximity key are now all standard on ‘22 Rubi. Being that I wanted all of those things, that closed the price gap quite a bit between both models since those are all optional upgrades on the Willys. Other things like painted fenders are avail on the Rubi but not on Willys.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460, '22 XR
No proximity entry on willys.

So I got the rubicon. :CWL:
Sponsored