flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
My 2-door Sport is scheduled to arrive this week, and I am considering replacing the stock wheel/tire combo with that from the Willys (255/75R17) or the Rubicon (285/75R17). Before I do so, just curious if either setup would require any mods or create any clearance, steering, suspension, or drivetrain issues. At this point in my ownership, just looking for a mild upgrade without having to do any major work. Pretty sure the Willys wheels/tires would be OK, but more concerned about the Rubicon. Appreciate any feedback/suggestions, and many thanks!
Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I just did mine this week wheels only, no tires. I have a Sport Unlimited that came with the steel wheels and A/T tires 245/75-R17. Both the Sport and the Rubicon were 17x7.5 wheels and Discount Tire was able to swap my tires and TPMS sensors onto a set of wheels from a Rubicon. I absolutely dig the new look. One issue that you'll run into is that the plastic piece around the backup camera is different between the steel and alloy wheels and it won't fit. It is a cheap part that you can get from Amazon for under $20.

Below is a pic of my JLU Sport with Rubicon wheels and the part that no longer fits. If you're upgrading a Sport, a wheel swap is probably the best bang for your buck. If you change the tire height, your speedo will be off unless you have a JL Tazer or something like that.

Rubicon Tires will be 2.38" higher/1.57" wider, and Willy's will be .6" higher / .39" wider.
https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator

Jeep Wrangler JL Willys or Rubicon Wheels on Sport 63856769934__5627F5C2-4498-48B9-8941-389C88E87D96
Jeep Wrangler JL Willys or Rubicon Wheels on Sport image0

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's great feedback...really appreciate it. I wouldn't have thought about that camera housing either. Makes me wonder if you have to do the same thing when switching to the Willy's wheels. Do you have a link to the part on Amazon?

dietch

First Name
Davis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
Pics are from my jeep before I bought it. The previous owner added rubicon take offs (wheels and BFG ko2's) They fit fine with no rubbing at all, last picture is after I added rubicon take off suspension and Sahara fenders. You can get away with doing nothing else but adding the take off tires and rims. However, if you don't plan to do major suspension upgrades right away I would also recommend adding rubicon takeoff suspension. It makes the jeep perform and look a lot better.

Jeep Wrangler JL Willys or Rubicon Wheels on Sport Jeep1
Jeep Wrangler JL Willys or Rubicon Wheels on Sport Jeep2
Jeep Wrangler JL Willys or Rubicon Wheels on Sport Jeep3
Jeep Wrangler JL Willys or Rubicon Wheels on Sport Jeep4

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Pics are from my jeep before I bought it. The previous owner added rubicon take offs (wheels and BFG ko2's) They fit fine with no rubbing at all, last picture is after I added rubicon take off suspension and Sahara fenders. You can get away with doing nothing else but adding the take off tires and rims. However, if you don't plan to do major suspension upgrades right away I would also recommend adding rubicon takeoff suspension. It makes the jeep perform and look a lot better.

Jeep1.jpg
Jeep2.jpg
Jeep3.jpg
Jeep4.jpg
Looks great...thanks for the pics! Do you know if the same lug nuts can be used from the stock Sport rims? I don't see why not, but then again, I wouldn't have guessed that the rear camera housing would be different either.

Last edited:

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
285 70 17s will fit with a 0 lift np. i have them on my sport but with 2-3 MPH error on your speedo. you can get 265 70 17 tires and those are 31s same as the 245 65 17s that are stock on a the sport. if you are looking at 285s just buy them do not buy rubicon take offs if they are asking for more then a 1000 for them i have seen idiots asking 1500-1700 for them that is crazy. falken wilpeaks from walmart are usually on sale for about 145-175 each. might not be ko2s but they are $50 less each and work just as well.
Sponsored