Willys in the snow?

TIPOVR

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel
Hey all, figured I'd ask here as you'll understand the New England winters well. I live in CT, usually drive locally and to MA/NH/VT through the various seasons. I'm looking at getting a 2021 4dr Willys next Spring and putting on the same K02's that come off the Rubicon (285/70R/17). With the Willys having the LSD is the back should be good to go for some snow come winter right? I see some threads from Rubicon owners on the performance in the snow, which worries me a bit not gonna lie. I currently have a 05 Grand Cherokee and have not had any issues even with cheaper all season tires. Thanks.
Sponsored

shutamouth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I'm hesitant to respond, because I feel this is more of an opinion answer. That said, I have a sport with LSD and All Terrain tickets and the snow doesn't bother me. I tend to keep it in 2WD for the most part. That said, I tend to drive at moderate highway speeds during a storm.

As an aside, it's odd to even think about snow when its 98* outside.

OP
OP
TIPOVR

TIPOVR

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Right! Haha :LOL: , I like to plan ahead Thanks for the input.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I would probably swap out those Firestone Destination MTs that come with the Willys for a good AT with the snowflake rating. Tires are by far the biggest factor in snow driving and the snowflake makes a big difference in grip with my small sample size.

We don't get a ton of snow in Denver like you guys in CT, but I have seen my fair share in my Rubi. The BFG KO2s and 4hi has felt super composed with the exception of a sheet of ice on a tight corner that required some opposite lock. In theory, your Willys with the LSD (and auto-4HI?) should be better in city snow than the Rubicon since the Rubi differentials are open until locked. The only time I have used my lockers in the snow so far was to pull out a stuck UPS truck.

OP
OP
TIPOVR

TIPOVR

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would probably swap out those Firestone Destination MTs that come with the Willys for a good AT with the snowflake rating. Tires are by far the biggest factor in snow driving and the snowflake makes a big difference in grip with my small sample size.

We don't get a ton of snow in Denver like you guys in CT, but I have seen my fair share in my Rubi. The BFG KO2s and 4hi has felt super composed with the exception of a sheet of ice on a tight corner that required some opposite lock. In theory, your Willys with the LSD (and auto-4HI?) should be better in city snow than the Rubicon since the Rubi differentials are open until locked. The only time I have used my lockers in the snow so far was to pull out a stuck UPS truck.
Great. Yes I plan on tossing on some K02s as soon as I get it off the lot. Thanks!

Sponsored

HeatBird

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79' Corvette 4 spd. 21'Willys 2dr. 6 spd.
Occupation
Retired
I'll chime in as I just returned from a trip to Buffalo NY. Hit heavy snow near Batvia on I-90. The Willys with factory Firestone Destinations was awesome, (several vehicles off the road stuck). Then when I arrived in Buffalo they had gotten a foot of the white stuff. Even the main streets weren't plowed yet and the side streets were a friggin mess. The Jeep was flawless, in two wheel drive.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Are you dead set on ko2's? The new Toyo Open Country AT3's come in 285/75r17 and it's 3 peak snowflake rated
Jeep Wrangler JL Willys in the snow? IMG_0813

BuffDad

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys Sport
I have the OE Firestone Destination MT2s on my 2020 Willys. 33K miles and still great in the snow, but noisy as sin on dry pavement. I’m leaning towards the KO2s for next summer…