Sponsored

Willys From the Lot Pricing - Is This Normal?

JRMedic19

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '14 Toyo Highlander, '19 Toyo Camry
Occupation
Wang-Jangler
Vehicle Showcase
While pricing around in May a dealer in So-California told me the dealer cost for a Wrangler i was trying to haggle him on. This is a very general statement and varies by area and dealer but without any factory incentives for your dealer, you are not paying much over the dealers unit cost when you are quoted 3-4% (maybe even 5%) below invoice. Stated simply, People claiming to get 12-14% below invoice are not doing their math correctly OR know somebody. With the exception of MFG incentives a dealer is not going to sell you a jeep for less than what THEY ACTUALLY payed for it.

Without going into my personal experiences, I shopped around for about a year total and dealt with dealers all across the country. Any price between the friends and family Price and Invoice is technically a fair to good deal. With the pandemic and civil unrest we are currently experiencing, things may be a little different but again, they still aren't going to sell you a car at a loss.
Sponsored

TopDown2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
While pricing around in May a dealer in So-California told me the dealer cost for a Wrangler i was trying to haggle him on. This is a very general statement and varies by area and dealer but without any factory incentives for your dealer, you are not paying much over the dealers unit cost when you are quoted 3-4% (maybe even 5%) below invoice. Stated simply, People claiming to get 12-14% below invoice are not doing their math correctly OR know somebody. With the exception of MFG incentives a dealer is not going to sell you a jeep for less than what THEY ACTUALLY payed for it.

Without going into my personal experiences, I shopped around for about a year total and dealt with dealers all across the country. Any price between the friends and family Price and Invoice is technically a fair to good deal. With the pandemic and civil unrest we are currently experiencing, things may be a little different but again, they still aren't going to sell you a car at a loss.
Also, taking into account for the dealer incentives across the board--ie not attached to one single unit, and hold backs which are separate from the cost the dealer has in the unit you are looking at.

hammick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wrangler 2dr JK Sport S
Look...this is VERY simple. Honestly, I really don't know why this is such a head-scratcher for people. :movember:

You have MSRP and you have INVOICE (aka FWP).

INVOICE on a wrangler averages 94.5%-95.5% of MSRP [destination MSRP=Invoice (i.e. 100%); and certain options are 80% invoice to MSRP while most are 90% invoice to MSRP, but the base (i.e. the $35k-$45k thing!) is basically 95% invoice to MSRP which is the vast majority of the calculation], full stop. Then, sometimes you can get a DISCOUNT off of invoice - that will range from 0% to 8%, based on all the detailed history and anecdotes on this forum. The only hitch to this is that some places that give discounts to invoice will add on a "FEE" which can be, as I have observed, $250 to $750 (fyi, some states cap or limit any "fees") - which then takes UP your price by...YOU GUESSED IT...THE FEE! (about 0.5-1.5%).

...that is ALL there is to it. #MATH #EASY :piggybank:

Then you have your state's TTL. (there is no debating this...this is state mandated/determined)

Step 1: MSRP * 95% = INVOICE
Step 2: INVOICE * (1-DISCOUNT) + FEE = Price
Step3: Price + TTL = Final Price

I even COLOR coded it...

...there is NOT a magical Jeep fairy :jk: that (1) changes MSRP to Invoice calculations; (2) gives away Jeeps at some mythical price that is anything (meaningfully) different than the above; or (3) removes your state's TTL!!!

#PLEASE_STOP_DEBATING_THIS :clap: :angry: :involve:
Not all states require dealerships to collect TTL. Our main home is in Missouri and we have to go to the DMV within 30 days of license to Pay TTL. At our place in Montana we don't pay tax but have to go into the DMV to register and pay for plates.

OP
OP
Vtechfi

Vtechfi

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Jeep
Not all states require dealerships to collect TTL. Our main home is in Missouri and we have to go to the DMV within 30 days of license to Pay TTL. At our place in Montana we don't pay tax but have to go into the DMV to register and pay for plates.
correct, wanna discuss another vehicle with the dealership in Arkansas they told me they do not take care of all the TTL. Which was surprising to me.

we are planning on going to the dealership this Saturday to grab the orange Willys. Seems like it is still there!:please:

BCalvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JLU, 1996 Porsche 993, 2007 Hummer H3
correct, wanna discuss another vehicle with the dealership in Arkansas they told me they do not take care of all the TTL. Which was surprising to me.

we are planning on going to the dealership this Saturday to grab the orange Willys. Seems like it is still there!:please:

Thats a great looking Jeep!

Sponsored

hammick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wrangler 2dr JK Sport S

Try to get them to drop a couple grand. Congrats on the purchase. I think you are going to bring it home either way. Let us know how you like that power soft top.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
5% below invoice would get you around 42k, but that's hard to do without affiliate pricing. You'll probably regret not getting what you want more than paying a little more for what you want. Watch some of Kevin Humter's youtubes for used car buying. I recently helped my daughter buy her first car and the videos helped her (both of us) with the process.
Sponsored