Sponsored

Willys Edition JL Club Thread

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i found the Firestones sucked on wet pavement compared to other Mud Tires i've used; they're gone now.

Quick question…thinking of upgrading to the firestone Destination MT/2’s/Wheel combo on the Willy’s and was curious what people thought about the ride…currently I have a 4xe with the 20” all weather tires…I understand it will be rougher…but just how much is the question?
Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i've heard old commercials where the Willys name was pronounced both ways.

i've also heard that My Willys was too much of a gentleman to correct anyone who mispronounced it.

that said, just as i make the effort to pronounce Dr Ferdinands last name in a proper German manner with both syllables, i like to try to pronounce the J**ps name the way i like to think it was supposed to be, Will-is.

This has probably been discussed elsewhere but since this is a Willys thread I will mention it. Reading through I see Willy and Willy’s multiple times. Some of these may be auto correct but I am assuming that many non Jeep historians don’t know that it is actually pronounced Willis, like Bruce Willis or “what you talkin’ bout Willis”. The name pays homage to John North Willys who pronounced his own name Willis. He was also the owner of the Willys-Overland Company which produced the early Jeeps. Many soldiers during the war were not aware of this and mispronounced the name Willies as that is how it would look reading it off of the vehicle. They continued this after returning home adding to the confusion as people figured that they used them so they know. I know some people will say “I’ve always said Willies and always will“ and that’s fine but I figure that the man knew how to pronounce his own name and the name of his company so I’m going with his pronunciation.

Sponsored

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
Ok, so why did you chose a willys(verses a rubi)?
I want a little more off road capability (upgraded shocks & brakes, limited slip, rock rails, and tires. I will not be doing serious rock crawling so I don’t need disconnects and lockers. Doors go on and off so I don’t want power windows, locks and proximity just to have them hanging in the garage (plus the extra weight in the doors). I like the look of the package with the retro decals, blacked out grill and badges and I love the current rims.

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i didn't want the extra complications of the 'features' that are associated with the Rubicon, as some of them weren't what i wanted/needed out of my J**p. for example, for the desert trail running that i'm prone to doing, i'd rather have a limited slip in the rear axle than a locker. i know it's going to wear out soon enough and i'll put a TrueTrac in it like i did with my last J**p. i can always add a locker to the front more cost-effectively than the extra it costs on a Rubicon. also, the 4:1 Xfr case was lower than i was going to want with the Diesel even wth larger tires.

aside from that, i was sold on the diesel after driving one (it's fun!) and for its range, and the fact that the Diesel added a Dana 44 front axle to the Willys was just gravy that made the difference between it and the Rubicon even smaller.
FAD was an over-complication to me that i wanted to avoid, and about the only things i would have wanted out of the Rubicon that i couldn't get on the Wilys were the very slightly wider axles, and the slightly higher fenders.

personally, a huge part of it was that i didn't want to deal with that fugly red dash on the Rubis; it annoyed me every time i got in one. i know it's a personal aesthetic thing, but it really turned me off, and i didn't want to pay the premium for a Rubi to have to start immediately changing the one thing on it that's facing me every time i'm at the wheel.

Ok, so why did you chose a willys(verses a rubi)?

SurfJeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Willys
personally, a huge part of it was that i didn't want to deal with that fugly red dash on the Rubis; it annoyed me every time i got in one. i know it's a personal aesthetic thing, but it really turned me off, and i didn't want to pay the premium for a Rubi to have to start immediately changing the one thing on it that's facing me every time i'm at the wheel.
The red dash (and all the other red accents) was a factor in my decision making too. To me they feel over the top. I replaced the red hooks that came with my front bumper with my stock black ones and didn’t change the black hook in the back with the red one that came with it either.

Mudawg10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Anyone running 35x12.5x17 on method or similar wheels with a 0 offset? The ones I’m looking at are 17x8.5 with 4.75in Backspace (0mm Offset). Want to avoid wheels spacers so curious on rubbing. Dynatrac 2 inch lift is coming soon. Trying to buy the right wheel setup. Thanks.
Sponsored