First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
Here is the other side. It sure looks like it's about to rip the fender flare off, but there was on the order of 1/16" clearance everywhere. Stock suspension with close to 200 extra pounds bolted on.

1622573654470.png
Here's the Jeep in the same spot after the Rubicon takeoff lift with 3/4" coil spacers added in the front.. It's not in an identical placement, but it's close enough. It has a lot more clearance when fully flexed out, but it isn't begging me to run 35s, that's for sure.

Jeep Wrangler JL Willys Edition JL Club Thread 1624321244475

Jeep Wrangler JL Willys Edition JL Club Thread 1624321355441

I'm kind of up on the air on whether I want to go with bigger tires, and how big I want to go. I'm kind of aiming for a regear to 4.10 and a set of 33s, but honestly, I could just do the regear and stay with 32s, and I would probably never notice the difference. Not around here, anyway.

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Sport, JT Mojave, Sold JLU Sport S
Occupation
Cigar & IPA Snob
One thing that I've learned from this thread (I think) is you get Firestones Destination MTs with a Willys and KM2 MTs with a Willys Sport. My daughter got the Willys Sport and I was surprised it didn't come with the Firestones. Is one better than the other, maybe weight needs to be factored in, IDK???

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i've used 3 generations of BFG MTs, and would have prefered those to the Firestones that came on my Willys.
(the Firestones are available now, with just about 4K miles on them, and will be in the Marketplace soon if anyone wants a set... make me an offer!)

One thing that I've learned from this thread (I think) is you get Firestones Destination MTs with a Willys and KM2 MTs with a Willys Sport. My daughter got the Willys Sport and I was surprised it didn't come with the Firestones. Is one better than the other, maybe weight needs to be factored in, IDK???

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
She wandered all over the road at first, but got the hang of it on the drive home.
MTs will wander a little for the first few hundred miles. Also, lower the pressure in the tires to about 35 PSI. You will notice a better ride and far less wandering. For some reason nearly all of these seem to be delivered with 40-44 PSI in the tires.

I like my Firestones enough to keep them until they need replaced. I would have no issues with the BFGs either. I do like the OWL tires on my white Jeep though.

Sponsored

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Sport, JT Mojave, Sold JLU Sport S
Occupation
Cigar & IPA Snob
The BFGs look more aggressive to me.
MTs will wander a little for the first few hundred miles. Also, lower the pressure in the tires to about 35 PSI. You will notice a better ride and far less wandering. For some reason nearly all of these seem to be delivered with 40-44 PSI in the tires.

I like my Firestones enough to keep them until they need replaced. I would have no issues with the BFGs either. I do like the OWL tires on my white Jeep though.
Yeah, the psi was over inflated and I lowered it to the recommended 37 PSI before leaving the dealership and it probably helped. I may try even lower to see how that works and do the chalk test.

LITTLE WILLYS

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
unlimited willys
I was scratching my head as to why my order sheet list BFGs instead of Firestones. I assumed Jeep was having issues getting the Firestones. Now I know.

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I was scratching my head as to why my order sheet list BFGs instead of Firestones. I assumed Jeep was having issues getting the Firestones. Now I know.
This confusion came up before the BFGs stared to show up on some Willys. BFG is Firestone's parent company, so it makes sense on an order sheet.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Zouch, you are correct. It’s been that way for decades with those two companies. But acquisitions and mergers are always happening. Goodyear just bought out Cooper, along with along with all of it’s brands.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jaydonoghue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys

BigBruse

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep rubicon

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I'm kind of up on the air on whether I want to go with bigger tires, and how big I want to go.

Mine is a stock standard Sport without a lift and with 32" all terrain tyres. I can easily cross the terrain in your photos.
Sponsored