Sponsored

Willys Edition JL Club Thread

rundel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting Grey Wrangler Willys (ordered)
Just ordered a Willys today! Really looking forward to it.

Sting Gray
2 Door
6 speed manual
Hardtop

First Jeep and I can't wait!
Sounds like my car's twin and about the time I placed my order as well. Patiently waiting for it!
Sponsored

RubberToeJLU

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
I finally made it through this thread and got my Willys today! Granite crystal metallic checking in!

It's my 3rd Jeep and 1st Wrangler. I had an 93 XJ in the early 2000's and about to sell my 2010 Liberty KK. The JL rides like a dream!

Jeep Wrangler JL Willys Edition JL Club Thread IMG_20200921_150233266_HDR

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I posted this over on the Sarge thread, but I figured I'd share here too..

Jeep Wrangler JL Willys Edition JL Club Thread IMG_20200920_192342-01

Jeep #2. We went into the dealer to kick the tires on a Gladiator, and the wife fell in love with this one. 2020, V6 Auto, 7" radio, AC, power, heated seats/wheel... heck of a lot nicer than my base model JL. Steering is way better than my 2019 too (I'm still waiting to get the TSB done).

I've since swapped her rock rails with my Mopar-style side steps and I swapped the wheels and tires from mine (Sport S/OEM Goodyears), so she isn't mall crawling in MT tires... She wants her wheels back, so we'll get some ATs on her wheels at some point.

We have a lot of deer around here so I'm trying to convince her to get a heavy-duty bumper (probably an ARB classic, as it looks closest to stock), but she likes the look of the factory bumper... maybe she'll change her mind when it gets smooshed by a deer.

Question for ya'll running the stock tires: For folks that've put a few thousand miles on them.. what is the grip like on the road after they're worn down some? I took them out in my Jeep the other day in the rain and they seemed pretty grippy for MT.

dmc3csc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I posted this over on the Sarge thread, but I figured I'd share here too..

Jeep Wrangler JL Willys Edition JL Club Thread IMG_20200920_192342-01

Jeep #2. We went into the dealer to kick the tires on a Gladiator, and the wife fell in love with this one. 2020, V6 Auto, 7" radio, AC, power, heated seats/wheel... heck of a lot nicer than my base model JL. Steering is way better than my 2019 too (I'm still waiting to get the TSB done).

I've since swapped her rock rails with my Mopar-style side steps and I swapped the wheels and tires from mine (Sport S/OEM Goodyears), so she isn't mall crawling in MT tires... She wants her wheels back, so we'll get some ATs on her wheels at some point.

We have a lot of deer around here so I'm trying to convince her to get a heavy-duty bumper (probably an ARB classic, as it looks closest to stock), but she likes the look of the factory bumper... maybe she'll change her mind when it gets smooshed by a deer.

Question for ya'll running the stock tires: For folks that've put a few thousand miles on them.. what is the grip like on the road after they're worn down some? I took them out in my Jeep the other day in the rain and they seemed pretty grippy for MT.
I ran mine for about 3k, They gripped the road alright, but nothing like the BFG Rubicon tires. My Jeep seemed to wander the road a little with the M/T tires, even aired down to 32psi. MY Jeep just feels more stable with the wider tire on it.

dloreski

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500 & Honda Civic
I ran mine for about 3k, They gripped the road alright, but nothing like the BFG Rubicon tires. My Jeep seemed to wander the road a little with the M/T tires, even aired down to 32psi. MY Jeep just feels more stable with the wider tire on it.
Do you have a photo of your Willys with the BFG's on it?
I have a Willy's on order and been debating these tires for on road snow use.
I ordered mine with the selec trac, so I will probably be ok, but keeping other options open.
Thanks!
-Dave

Sponsored

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
This was very new, so other things have been done. This was actually in March.

Jeep Wrangler JL Willys Edition JL Club Thread 93365398_10223129569297663_804900321791836160_n

Last edited:

dmc3csc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have a photo of your Willys with the BFG's on it?
I have a Willy's on order and been debating these tires for on road snow use.
I ordered mine with the selec trac, so I will probably be ok, but keeping other options open.
Thanks!
-Dave
Jeep Wrangler JL Willys Edition JL Club Thread Willys

20200620_115517.jpg

dmc3csc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you, looks great!
What size are those?
Is there any lift or anything on it?
They are Rubicon take offs, 285 70 17 with take off Rubicon springs (shocks are the same) as well. It gave me about 1" lift over the stock Willys suspension. I was able to sell my M/Ts for what I paid for the BFGs and Rubicon springs are readily available for $100 or less. For me, it sits just right.

musicguyusa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willy's; 2020 Triumph Street Triple R
@dmc3csc, your Willy's looks fantastic! Thank you for posting the photos.

Did you also change the fender flares? The photos make it appear as if you added the Rubi fenders.

Sponsored

dmc3csc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@dmc3csc, your Willy's looks fantastic! Thank you for posting the photos.

Did you also change the fender flares? The photos make it appear as if you added the Rubi fenders.
Yes, I put the Rubicon flares with LED turns on, and the rock rails in the first picture are Recon/Moab rails.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nerd
I had owned my new YJ for perhaps a month when a doe made what was her final decision to cross the road on a snowy winter's night. I had no time to react as she made hard contact with the corner of the stock steel bumper, leaving a fair portion of venison on the grill and under the right front fender.

Some insurance-funded bodywork was necessary to put a bit of sheetmetal back into proper nick. The bumper, which bore the majority of the impact, wasn't affected at all. Not a nick to be found. I was impressed.

With the foregoing in mind, I too may uparmor the front end of the JLU.
A deer already caved in the front of her other vehicle, so she really should be on board to get a big steel bumper.

I was driving a little Fiat 500 and only just escaped a deer a couple of years back - I managed to stop just as I kissed its back leg, which only cracked the front license plate holder. That was pretty good motivation to buy a Jeep and put a cheap, heavy bumper on it (looks be damned), but she's a bit fussier than me.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nerd
Good to know. I was looking at getting takeoffs for hers because, apparently, the Goodyears I have her using now are "not aggressive-enough"... My lovely wife, whose only interest in vehicles has been the paint color, buys a Jeep and suddenly tires are critical.

Bback58

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2 dr, 6 spd, 2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland automatic
I just ordered a Willys with the premium soft top. Just wondering if the premium soft top has tinted windows?
Sponsored